Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
morales

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

maybebaby888888888

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:13 pm
Do you think they are relative or absolute?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:33 pm
Morals? I suppose that depends on which one. Some morals, like "don't hurt me and I won't hurt you" are absolute.

Others, like "Don't have sex before marriage" are relative to each person and how they were raised.

Although, even the "absolute" morals such as the first can be perverted by culture, so maybe all morals are loose, chageable, and relative to the situation.

(If you actually meant MORALE, disregard this)  

puresilver

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2007 1:44 pm
I don't exactly understand where you are going with this. Could you elaborate a little in your topic post?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:16 am
Sanguvixen
I don't exactly understand where you are going with this. Could you elaborate a little in your topic post?

AnonymouZ

The Candy Store Massacre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:36 pm
puresilver
Morals? I suppose that depends on which one. Some morals, like "don't hurt me and I won't hurt you" are absolute.

Now hold on a second, that's not entirely true, I don't seem to recall how 6 millions Jewish people actually hurt Adolph Hitler. (Technically he said they took all the jobs from Germans but talk2hand )So to some people that's no absolute either, bullies, they hurt others for they're on reasons, not an eye for an eye reason. That moral is entirely relative. Foo rofl  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 2:15 pm
I think that there are gonna be universal goods and bads but not everything is percieved morally the same in every culture. And, as always, there will be the twisted crazy, like Hitler, whom disregard these universal principals. Morals all differ depending on enviroment, religion, etc.  

PickleBoy

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:12 am
Morals are completely relative then. This is NOT a nature vs nurture thing. You either pick them up at the place you were born, or you suffer the consequences. Whether or not there are some similar rules might be explained by a sociologist, and i suppose he would go with the, what happens if you're just allowed to kill anybody, for whatever reason in whatever culture/place/society?

I read some explanation as to why some civilizations agreed on being homosexual was a bad thing, that said something like if homosexuals were allowed to ... be, then something like people caring about pleasureable sex would outweigh the sex for kids stance. I dont' make sense right now anyway... i might edit this crap out later. gots to go!  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:57 pm
hmm...i always hated ethics the most. (more a metaphysics guy)

Anyway, morals....to me....are all relative, unless I make the statement sooooooo detailed.....and sooooo specific. In such a case I would just wasting time.

The best thing I learned from morals was from a certain philosopher. It really hit home with me.

He says basically if you take your respective moral and imagine a world where EVERYONE followed it, would the world be a better or worse place because of it.  

Niveous

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff