Reply Facial & Oral Piercings
Septum advice?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SkAnarchism

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:47 pm
So, I really, really want to get my septum pierced, but I'm not so sure I know how to take care of it or how to tell when it's healed.

Do they actually pierce through the cartilage in my nose, or do they pierce through the skin at the bottom?

I'm so confused. xD  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2007 9:04 pm
they pierce above the cartilage, I'm pretty sure...

you'd take care of it like you'd take care of any piercing, and as for healing time I think it's around 2-3 months.  

blessed.into.extinction

dagon is a gloomy bear
Crew

Lonely Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:53 am
You can get the cartilage pierced if you really want to, but it's much easier to get the skin between the bottom of the bulb of your nose and the cartilage. That's where I had mine done.
For healing you clean it two or three times a day (or when it's really gross) and you can do salt water soaks.
While it's healing there will be crusties that build up. Initial healing is about 4 weeks. Everyone seems to have a different time range though. Basically when it doesn't hurt to tug on or change the jewelery or to flip up, it's healed. If you have nothing in the hole, it can still possibly close up though.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:21 am
2-3? I was told by an APP piercer to clean it once, twice at the most each day.  

powerandintent

popcornsharingbox

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:08 pm
Yep. They pierce through the fleshy part of your nose. Not the hard cartilage. The piecer will tell you how you should clean it. It really varies. You'll have to learn for yourself as to how much is too much and how much is not enough. Everyone has their own opinions.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 10:43 pm
You can "over clean" a pierced by irritating it because of the cleaning, but really, there's no exact number. A lot of people use the LITHA method too.  

dagon is a gloomy bear
Crew

Lonely Lunatic

popcornsharingbox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 2:38 pm
`dagon
You can "over clean" a pierced by irritating it because of the cleaning, but really, there's no exact number. A lot of people use the LITHA method too.

LITHA?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:39 pm
Leave It The Hell Alone

astrosnik

Artimus_Twitch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 6:58 pm
I do the Leave-it-the-hell-alone method.
I just swab them clean after a shower.

The only reason you really need to clean a pierceing is to get crusties off.
If there are no clusties, why bother cleaning it?  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:21 am
So it doesn't get infected??  

popcornsharingbox

Aetherna

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:26 pm
If your piercer is a reputable and generally good one, they will explain everything to you and answer all of your questions - don't feel naive in the least whenever you approach them.

The septum piercing generally passes through the thinnest point of the nasal septum (full name); it's usually referred to by pierces as the "sweet spot." Pending an individual's anatomy, the septum piercing may need to pass through the thicker cartilage. Your piercer will feel around your nose to find the ideal placement but don't forget that you have every right to look at and question if you want to.

I'd follow the piercer's aftercare instructions - generally sea salt soaks for a given period. Such soaks help to soften "crusties" and draw out sebum since sea salt soaks act as an astringent. Sebum can and usually does create a stinky smell so it's always important to keep your piercings clean. Some individuals state that they smell something "cheesy" after getting a septum piercing; it can happen but if you keep your piercing and jewelry clean, the risk should be minimized.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 4:00 pm
This should be under facial piercings. I moved the thread.  

Zombina Corpse
Captain

Edible Lingerie!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2007 9:38 pm
I like using the LITHA method, so I just clean my piercings twice or thrice a day (to the max, though I mostly do if there are crusties or it's looking gross) and then LITHA ftw. :]  
Facial & Oral Piercings

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games