Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Those utterly annoying moments.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2007 4:17 pm
Does anyone ever have those moments in a discussion where they're suddenly inspired to sigh and groan?

I've just come across a good example. A conversation I'd sparked with one girl on the difference between selfish suicide and altruistic sacrifice in the Christian perspective carried on, somehow, to the "great plan." She commented a belief in predestination, to which I responded in a quoted post, why worry about these things if that's what she believed?

Another person, not involved in this thread in the least, came in just to claim that they didn't believe in predestination, quoting my post, and becoming hostile to me in the process.

-.-

Any other examples of moments like this?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:24 am
I dont necessarily understand what happened in this situation... however i've had plenty of those situations. Mainly when i speak with christians and they all come down to saying "I have faith, that's why!, you will never make me doubt on MY beliefs!!"  

AnonymouZ

The Seven Deadly Sinz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 5:35 pm
It annoys me when people bash religion without understanding it, during a conversation about it.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:26 pm

• Yeah, I think I've had my share of 'sigh and groan' moments on gaia definitely.

It gets me when you're discussing something and it makes complete sense to you but you're trying to explain it and the other person is taking something, maybe even just a single word's definition, slightly differently and you can't get them to see it. And then it just goes in circles.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

a lemon of sorts

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:21 pm
I can't count the number of times I've been told I have absolutely no morals or guidelines in life because I don't have any faith. There was also this one particularly annoying girl who proceeded to tell me I was going straight to hell unless I converted. If I converted, I could go to heaven because 'God' is always forgiving. Though I have to admit the hypocrisy is usually pretty amusing.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:28 pm
Yep, almost everyday. Although usually I laugh, cuz hey life's too short, but sometimes I just; *facepalm* or *headdesk* or *sighs* and then I walk away before my head explodes.  

Ruminating Skeptic

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff