Covering Up Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

LittleGreenGirl

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:32 pm
Next year I'm going to be a bridesmaid in my best friend's wedding, and we're wearing halter dresses, which will bare the tattoos of not only me, but one other bridesmaid. My friend wants us to try to cover them up, but I'm rather skeptical about how effective that will be. I've had to try to cover up for musical productions as well, but not even stage makeup works very well. Anybody have any suggestions?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 12:47 pm
Oh my. Lyke... I cannot really give you any advice on that, starting with the fact that I don't have any tattoos myself and uh... maybe if she knew that the bridesmaid had tattoos she should've tried finding dresses that didn't show so much skin, ne? D: Uh... I really don't know what to say. Try... foundation? xD Like... tons of it. xDD Doubt it'll work, but oh well. @@ Sorry.  

Edible Lingerie!

Artimus_Twitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:25 pm
Hey you are in the SCA guild too, neat.

Personally I think its pretty stupied she would ask you guys to cover them up. I would find it rude if that were asked of me.
But I also bare my tattoos with way too much pride to submit to cover them...ever.

If you need to cover them. Head over to a place that sells estee louter make up. They have a TV foundation that covers anything. Or if thats too pricey get white liquid latex, cover it with that, then use foundation over it. You can get latex in sex stores, and costume stores for pretty decent prices.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:26 pm
Well, stage makeup or any type opf makeup will rub off after a while and your tattoos will become obvious, honestly it would just look better if you left them alone.

One suggestion that works is that all the bridesmaids wear boleros over their halter dresses. It's a type of jacket that is really short, tight, and only covers the back and arms. The dress will not be hidden, just the tattoos (if all the visible ones are on your arms).

What I mean is something like this:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

Angel de Lys

astrosnik

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:36 pm
Even Dermablend, which is the most recommended cosmetic for covering tattoos, is readily acknowledged for having frequent problems with rubbing off on fabric. Theatre makeup has the same problem. No matter what you use, the bride will be risking a huge mess and staining all the dresses.
My suggestion? If she really wants those dresses, try to convince her to try drapes or scarves, either for everyone or just the tattooed maids. Even a sheer matching or complimentary colour will disguise well, or you can look at a fabric store for a matching fabric and have some custom made.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 2:00 pm
Now, I'm not a makeup artist, nor do I wear lots of makeup on a daily basis, but this is one thing that you may want to try on yourself ahead of time (say, just using regular foundation.)

Apply whatever makeup you are considering to cover your tattoo. Let it "set" however it has to. Then try misting a light coat of hair spray over the makeup. Let that dry and see if it "protects" the makeup at all.

I dressed up one year and had my friend apply animal-type stripes on my face, arms, and legs too if not mistaken. This was a few years ago but I'm pretty sure she used hairspray to try and "seal" the makeup - pencil eyeliner.

I really don't know how such a method would work for you but it is worth a shot so long as you're trying it before the wedding and do not have sensitive skin as I'd imagine it might just become irritated.

I think you should ask the bride if some sort of shawl or previously mentioned article of clothing could be worn on top. You can find or have some pretty ones made (or make) so that they retain some 'style' and don't look like grandmother-shawls. smile  

Aetherna

-Resurrected Writer-

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 7:10 pm
My piercings are covered-up... by my hair sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:38 pm
Artimus_Twitch

Personally I think its pretty stupied she would ask you guys to cover them up. I would find it rude if that were asked of me.
But I also bare my tattoos with way too much pride to submit to cover them...ever.

I absolutely agree, but then my friends know better than to say something like that to me. X3  

Kurushindeiru

Artimus_Twitch

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:04 pm
Kurushindeiru
Artimus_Twitch

I absolutely agree, but then my friends know better than to say something like that to me. X3

this so got turned around on me tonight too!
I am a bridesmaid this june... her familly just asked that I cover my tattoos for the wedding ceremony/photos, because they dont want that in the photos stare
Its going to be hard with haveing to cover... 5 tattoos and a full sleave.. in sleaveless dresses!
I actually got pretty insulted, and dont want to comply...  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 2:20 am
I'm hard-headed enough to be like "If you can't accept my tattoos, then I don't need to be in your pictures." and then to your friend be like "Ah. Here's my polaroid. Here's the pictures of you and me. Alright. I've got my pictures and you've got yours. Way to be 1950s, everybody, with your segregation."

Then again, I'm a super-b***h.  

Kurushindeiru

Teri Noodle

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:34 am
Artimus_Twitch
this so got turned around on me tonight too!
I am a bridesmaid this june... her familly just asked that I cover my tattoos for the wedding ceremony/photos, because they dont want that in the photos stare
Its going to be hard with haveing to cover... 5 tattoos and a full sleave.. in sleaveless dresses!
I actually got pretty insulted, and dont want to comply...
I wouldnt comply either if I were you.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:46 am
With all the weddings coming up, it seems as if this is a re-occuring issue I keep hearing of. I am so sick of this whole "perfect wedding" image that people have going.

My friend's sister is getting married and wants her to be one of her bridesmaids but my friend has recently stretched her ear lobes to a 6g. Her sister was putting up a fit that she better find a way to have diamond studs in those although my friend didn't want to have to re-stretch her ears.

I have a friend who is getting married within the next couple of years and we often talk about her wedding. She specifically says she doesn't want me to be in it because of my tattoos and piercings. Because she doesn't think they'll look good in her wedding and they'll draw too much attention. I thought it was pretty shitty.

I hate conventional and traditional bullshit views.  

popcornsharingbox

2 + 2 omg

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:40 am
~Eurydice~
With all the weddings coming up, it seems as if this is a re-occuring issue I keep hearing of. I am so sick of this whole "perfect wedding" image that people have going.

My friend's sister is getting married and wants her to be one of her bridesmaids but my friend has recently stretched her ear lobes to a 6g. Her sister was putting up a fit that she better find a way to have diamond studs in those although my friend didn't want to have to re-stretch her ears.

I have a friend who is getting married within the next couple of years and we often talk about her wedding. She specifically says she doesn't want me to be in it because of my tattoos and piercings. Because she doesn't think they'll look good in her wedding and they'll draw too much attention. I thought it was pretty shitty.

I hate conventional and traditional bullshit views.
3nodding  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 11:23 am
That's fairly ******** up.

I mean, those tattoos are a part of who you are. And if you're good enough to be her bridesmaid, the your tattoss are kinda part of the package. I mean, you're letting her pick the dresses - she can't pick which piercings and tattoos are on show for the day as well. They're a part of you. The way I see it, you get all of me or none of me.  

x.Paper Wings.x

LittleGreenGirl

Sparkly Prophet

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 7:11 am
x.Paper Wings.x
That's fairly ******** up.

I mean, those tattoos are a part of who you are. And if you're good enough to be her bridesmaid, the your tattoss are kinda part of the package. I mean, you're letting her pick the dresses - she can't pick which piercings and tattoos are on show for the day as well. They're a part of you. The way I see it, you get all of me or none of me.

I partially agree with this, but I also had to look at it from another angle. I mean, I've been to several weddings where several bridesmaids had tattoos, piercings, funky hair, etc. While I liked it, I noticed that a lot of other people at the wedding were more focused on them than the bride. Not all of it was negative attention, and normally I'd say who really gives a flying ********, but really it's the bride's day. The attention should be on her.

-- thanks for the ideas, guys, by the way!

Tattoos

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff