Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
If nobody objects,

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 7:36 pm
I'd like to drop down an interesting train of thought I've just had.

Fundamentalist Christians claim that if everyone followed the morales set forth in the Bible, then the world's problems would vanish.

Morals are, undeniably, relative. Even the most basic ideas regarding murder and causing pain to others can be shifted.

Fundamentalist Christians are absolutely correct.

A society united under a single set of morales will receive exponentially fewer problems than one like ours. The difficulties are in deciding on what would be acceptable and what would not without basing it on previously established ideas, causing this new philosophy to be as "flexible" as possible while minimizing the number of loopholes one could enter through to commit acts otherwise considered evil (such as homosexuality in the Bible, and treatment of those people today), and finding a way to bring the masses into accepting these new guidelines for life, especially without promoting them purely or significantly as law. Christianity was the best example of "tried to limited success", with Islam reflecting much the same.

Alright, I'm finished rambling. I just had to put this somewhere.. heh, sorry.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 10, 2007 8:13 pm
Wouldn't that be sort of a Utopian society?  

Killian Darkwater

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 4:56 pm
I object, and I could go into a rant about adversity, survival, compettition, and a whole bunch of other issues, but truth be told, even if there were no logical arguments, I'd still object because I like variety and uncertainty in life. biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:35 pm
Killian Darkwater
Wouldn't that be sort of a Utopian society?

Everyone being a fundie christian?

Eww

Dystopia, surely?  

Redem

cup_noodles

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 2:59 pm
Everyone a Christian Fundie?
Jesus save me.
I'm pretty sure they'll have something to disagree upon within themselves at some point.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 4:22 pm
People are unique and to damn stubborn for something like that to work. And besides, theres NO way the whole world would go with this thing.  

Becka Minato

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:26 am
cup_noodles
Jesus save me.
I'm pretty sure they'll have something to disagree upon within themselves at some point.

You miss the point. If everyone was, it would stop being utterly ridiculous, as there wouldn't be anything to compare it to.

Not supporting it at all, just saying. There would be a lot less conflict.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:32 am
True, but like it was said earlier.

There will always be changes and adaptations.

Read Nietzsche, he addresses this issue in spades.
Your hypothetical makes sense. It does. But, it cannot exist beyond a hypothetical as it seems.

I don't disagree. It's just not possible at all to get to that point. Even if you...got it there, it would never stay there.

Read, "Anthem" to get what I'm saying. It's a really good short story about that sort of "Utopian society" you mentioned. And it takes place in the future. Al it did was basically rob society of progress. And just, randomly, people manage to break free....even with being conditioned and brainwashed from birth. You can't stop people from wanting to know, you cannot stop change all over. It is the dreamers dream for sure.  

Niveous

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:30 am
cup_noodles
Jesus save me.
I agree. They'll start picking out who isn't Christian enough, and start burning those they feel have sinned at the stake.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:17 am
Avicia
cup_noodles
Jesus save me.
I agree. They'll start picking out who isn't Christian enough, and start burning those they feel have sinned at the stake.

Sounds like Catholic Europe just before the protestant revolution.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:37 am
So, if everyone followed the bible, world hunger would disappear?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 1:43 am
Rilian
So, if everyone followed the bible, world hunger would disappear?

I don't think he means we should follow religious morals, just that if the world were to all follow a set of "logical" morals that most of our problems would disappear. As he mentioned though, the problem is deciding on what "logical" morals are.

Anywho, whether that would work or not, I donno. I do know that Japan thinks that the reason why America has so many problems with crime is do to the lack of homogony. Where as Japan is very homogonous, and has low crime. Though, they do have the most powerful organized crime unit in the world, so what does that tell you?
mrgreen  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:55 pm
Two thoughts.

Evolution has taught us that societies of clones are begging to be wiped out by the first radical change to their environment, be that a virus, a chemical alteration or a new predator.

Also, as long as we reflect ANY trait of that 98% of our genetic code we share with most living things, we'll continue to, as others have already said above me, find the slight and slighter differences and weed them out, should we all have the same agenda.

Still, a neat thought you posed.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff