Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
My school is teaching creationism. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Laprasite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:32 pm
First of all, I'm new. Hi everyone. ^^
I have a post in the intro thread if you want to know a little more about me.

Anyways, when did teaching that become legal? And it's a public school. Supposedly they've used this curriculum all over San Diego county. But I doubt that because I have a hard time thinking I'm the only person who doesn't believe in this.

The reason why it bugs me is that the material is written in such a way that they FORCE you to think that Creationism is the only so-called "theory" that is logical and "submits to the laws and principles of science" when they haven't even given any argument for Creationism. It's mostly about why Evolution is flawed.

I really have no idea what to do. It bugs me beyond belief and I refuse to work with material like this.

If I can fish out my post about this from my other guild, I'll copy and paste it here so you guys have more detail on this.

Note: The curriculum is from Starline Press, Inc., if that helps anything.  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 6:47 pm
Yeah, I think every intelligent person felt a "great distubance in the force" when creationism became an accepted theory. I know I cried. Just kidding. But you know, it's really what religion has been doing for thousands of years.

They look for the unexplainable or the flaws in knowledge and then insert god. What's beyond the sky? Heaven. Who makes the sun rise? God. Why did daddy beat me? Da Debil! And that's really all they're doing by pointing out the flaws in the theory of evolution. I had an astronomy proffessor tell the class that since we can't explain where the universe came from, it was probably god. stare

But I agree with Ellen Johnson when she said "If the people don't come to you, you go to the people, and that is why religions are being so aggressive these days." I think this attempt to force the possibility of a god on school children just shows how desperate they are getting. I am seriously hoping this is a fad that will be rid of in the years to come, but we'll see.

In the mean time, I'm just gonna hope they poop themselves to death.

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:18 pm
eek They're really teaching that in schools? Ugh... Seriously, thats infuritating... I have no idea how to even begin my thoughts... stressed  
PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:05 pm
What the ********? I live in San Diego. I graduated High School in 2004, so I haven't seen this s**t. I went to a weird High School though and they would definitely have ignored it if it were widespread. Both my parents work in the education system. Want me to ask them?  

Dread Dionaea

Laprasite

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 9:18 pm
Dread Dionaea
What the ********? I live in San Diego. I graduated High School in 2004, so I haven't seen this s**t. I went to a weird High School though and they would definitely have ignored it if it were widespread. Both my parents work in the education system. Want me to ask them?

Yes, I'd appreciate that. You can PM me if you'd like to know which school I go to. I don't feel comfortable posting it here because you never know who might be browsing through.

Dathu: I was guilty of thinking along those lines. I mentally kick myself every time I start thinking there might be a god, because it's that line of thinking that started religion in the first place.

My mom actually believes that when her grandmother died, god took her up to heaven and she spoke with him, but god said she had to go back. She can't even describe to me what it looked like. All I get is "It was beautiful." -gigglesnort-  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:01 am
It's illegal to teach it in public schools. If you're a public school kid, then contact the ACLU about it.

If you're in a private school, then you can either transfer to a better one, or live with it. Well you can try asking them not to teach it any more, but they don;t have to listen to you.  

Redem

EmmaRaikou

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 8:49 am
I would suggest making the principal and the schoolboard familiar with the Edward v Aguillard decision, and threaten a phone call from the ACLU.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:08 am
Well, if they allow christians to have their "campus crusade for christ" club... it was only a matter of time before they got to the highschools...

hahaha, luckily i dropped out of high school before that became a issue. However it is sad that there's legal (if it really is legal) brainwashing at high schools. sad indeed.  

AnonymouZ

The Candy Store Massacre

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:19 am
I got lucky, my science teacher is like a science geek, we get straight Darwin / Mendel evolution and heredity. I love that too because science is easily one of my favorite subjects.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 11:29 am
Anonymouz
Well, if they allow christians to have their "campus crusade for christ" club... it was only a matter of time before they got to the highschools...

hahaha, luckily i dropped out of high school before that became a issue. However it is sad that there's legal (if it really is legal) brainwashing at high schools. sad indeed.

I really don't like CRU. I have them here too, and I work the lecture hall that they have their "weekly meetings" in. So every Thursday I have to sit until midnight with headphones on trying not to be brainwashed by their shitty music and pathetic lyrics.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:06 pm
well... that's a pretty well organized group then... the ones we have here meet at 10:45AM on thursdays and there's usually a "bible discussion" at noon that same day... but the good news is the places where they meet are far from the public eye... so they don't disturb you, and you don't disturb their prayers or whatever it is they do in that time.

But what do you mean you WORK the lecture hall where they meet... and what in the heck are you doing in school in the middle of the night??? i suspect a little simpathy or fascination for the group if you hang out NEAR them... at all and for whatever reason. cool  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 2:18 pm
Anonymouz
well... that's a pretty well organized group then... the ones we have here meet at 10:45AM on thursdays and there's usually a "bible discussion" at noon that same day... but the good news is the places where they meet are far from the public eye... so they don't disturb you, and you don't disturb their prayers or whatever it is they do in that time.

But what do you mean you WORK the lecture hall where they meet... and what in the heck are you doing in school in the middle of the night??? i suspect a little simpathy or fascination for the group if you hang out NEAR them... at all and for whatever reason. cool

Well, I dunno if they're in High Schools yet, but here CRU (Campus Crusade For Christ) is a college organization that gives the fundies a place to gather and have little fundie babies. I work at a lecture hall that shows films, hosts concert performances, and...lectures. sweatdrop On Thursday nights from about 8 until midnight they come and play music and pray. I usually have to work the event and it sucks. I work on campus, and if it wasn't for CRU, I'd no job complaints. stare  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Laprasite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 3:42 pm
EmmaRaikou
I would suggest making the principal and the schoolboard familiar with the Edward v Aguillard decision, and threaten a phone call from the ACLU.

I hate the ACLU, and so does my dad. But then again, he probably doesn't like agnostics either, so I'm screwed either way.

I'll go to their website though and see if there's any information about creationism in public schools.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:29 pm
SpasticKitten
EmmaRaikou

I hate the ACLU, and so does my dad. But then again, he probably doesn't like agnostics either, so I'm screwed either way.

I'll go to their website though and see if there's any information about creationism in public schools.

Regardless, they're well known and have a huge team of lawyers. I imagine name-dropping would be enough.  

EmmaRaikou

Laprasite

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:41 pm
EmmaRaikou
SpasticKitten
EmmaRaikou

Regardless, they're well known and have a huge team of lawyers. I imagine name-dropping would be enough.

But, how would I contact the ACLU? I really don't know where to begin if my school refuses to use a different curriculum.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff