Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
THE LOST TOMB OF JEEBUS!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:08 pm
If only I could make the thread title echo. Anyway, here's the short and curly:

Discover Channel
We found a tomb. We think it's Jeebus's. The director Titanic thinks so too. Archeologists can't agree (when do they?). Come and watch.

http://dsc.discovery.com/convergence/tomb/tomb.html

So who's gonna watch? I am. I'm a sucker for this kind of stuff.

More discussion after the program is aired, and perhaps a poll!

"OMG, rly?"

Would I lie to you?
cool  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 5:27 pm
I saw a commerical for that, but I'm too busy to watch prob  

The Candy Store Massacre

banryuu

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:05 am
I think I actualy watched that.... Can't remember though my brain melts on a regular basis. Was that the time they found a old tomb under some type of temple or church? and there were burn like marks on the place the body would have been. I think is a load of camel dung but thats just coming from a history major. If it was true wouldn't all christians have larger egos? Sorry they couldn't get much bigger could they. I hope not.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:08 am
Actually...I ended up going out. sweatdrop So I missed it. Heh, I guess I made the thread a little too soon. But I'll see it when it re-runs. I swear! I'm not spamming up the guild! I swear! gonk  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:29 am
This one usually comes up around Easter.

The funny thing is, it's probably not the tomb. Those names weren't uncommon during that day. Heck, the name Jesus was pretty much their equivalent to Bob.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:14 am
Tenth Speed Writer
This one usually comes up around Easter.

The funny thing is, it's probably not the tomb. Those names weren't uncommon during that day. Heck, the name Jesus was pretty much their equivalent to Bob.

I don't doubt it. But how many bible thumpers actualy beleive half this huey? They just need something to make their existance meaningful.  

banryuu

Dread Dionaea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:05 pm
Did you see the one where they opened the tomb in Egypt? If not, here's my interpretation of the three-hour fiasco.

"OH MY GOD LOOK IT'S A ROOM"

"HOSHIT A DOOR"

"LET'S REMOVE THE RUBBLE"

"OH MY GOD IT'S PROBABLY TREASURE"

-Wall smashes-

"..."

"It's another room."

"Okay, let's go home.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:36 pm
Dread Dionaea
Did you see the one where they opened the tomb in Egypt? If not, here's my interpretation of the three-hour fiasco.

"OH MY GOD LOOK IT'S A ROOM"

"HOSHIT A DOOR"

"LET'S REMOVE THE RUBBLE"

"OH MY GOD IT'S PROBABLY TREASURE"

-Wall smashes-

"..."

"It's another room."

"Okay, let's go home.

HA ha ha thats about right.  

banryuu

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:16 am
I am a sucker for watching stuff like that too. Or any kind of history or exploration special. But there's no way to really know what they actually found, is there?

Or like from the discovery site: "Ascension: It is also a matter of Christian faith that after his resurrection, Jesus ascended to heaven. Some Christians believe that this was a spiritual ascension, i.e., his mortal remains were left behind. Other Christians believe that he ascended with his body to heaven. If Jesus’ mortal remains have been found, this would contradict the idea of a physical ascension but not the idea of a spiritual ascension. The latter is consistent with Christian theology."
So even supposedly finding a body could be explained away easily.
There's so many little details to pick at that I don't think anyone would ever agree xD But it's interesting easter time TV I suppose.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:24 pm
It would be cool if it actually was his tomb. But there will probably be some key missing link that just makes it into a pile of crap. Or maybe there already is, I don't know, I didn't watch the show. My family insisted on Six Feet Under, which we can watch anytime, over the education of Discovery Channel.  

CleverScreenname

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 4:03 pm
I don't know. I heard about this. It still doesn't prove anything as far as which religion is right. Jesus was a real guy no matter what religion you are. Plus I asked some Christians and they said that Jesus's body went with him to heaven so if there are any human remains in his tomb than Christianity is less likely to be correct actually.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 6:39 pm
I managed to watch it. It was interesting but not exactly convincing.

I'll have to side somewhat along the lines of what Caustic said.

If they find the bones of this so called "Jesus" so what? It'll just be a matter of a believer turning his head and saying "Well....he had a spiritual ascention into Heaven."

If you don't find the bones they will say "Hah! Both his physical and spiritual being ascended to Heaven!"

It seemed to me in that program the question was not so much that they found the tomb of Jesus but that they found a box made of bone that had something incribed on it that means(when translated) "Son of Jesus".

So they came across something that was supposed to hold the remains of a person who is a son of a person called Jesus. Wether or not that the tomb is the tomb they are looking for remains to be seen.

In the end they had to half research and draw conclusions early when some woman whined that the people in the hotel that was built over the tomb didn't have the rights to say it could be opened, and whined for it to be closed up because it could be dangerous to her kids.

Sanguvixen

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:48 pm
Doesn't the story of Christ's ascension posit that he touched Mary Magdalene and kicked it with some of his homies on a boat before he split?

Besides, this s**t was discoverrd 27 years ago.

As for the spiritual versus physical ascension game, it strikes me as a big circle jerk with people dirty talking in two different languages.

What a waste of time, money and effort. The only people who are happy about this program are the advertisers who were privy to a captive audince of pre-established suckers and dupe-ees.

I'm glad I don't have to play pretend to feel important. I just do it for fun. XD  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 7:08 pm
Sooo...does that mean he actually IS buried? And if his corpse is exhumed for the purpose of archaeological research, what does that say for Christians?

Also, what if they find that he wasn't crucified? Where would that leave the symbolism?  

ProjectOmicron88

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff