Reply The Anime Art Academy
Copic Sketch Markers

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Yuki_Yue

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2007 4:07 pm
So, I finally brok'd down and bought myself something woth more than ten bucks...

As most people I know will tell me is that judging by my DeviantArt account I haven't "earned" my copics. But in the spirit of my art classes, I'm just going to do what I always have with a brand new media... Buy it, play with it, and learn it the hard way.

Yeah, the friends I was telling you about think that having copics will make you a god among artists... but really, as I learned through education in art... it's all about how well you've learned to use your media that makes you better at art than you were before.

I bought COPIC Sketch Marker 72 color set B, it seemed like a good kit to start off with. Tomorrow I get to pick up my markers, and my free airbrush kit from the UPS Depot and start playing around and taking pictures... (I hope I can get my fiance to let me borrow his camera.)

So does anyone else here have/use copic markers, sketch or otherwise?

If so do you have any kind of advice for a person like me? I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to go out and buy different paper as I only have the pencil sketching paper that soaks up a ton of ink and bleeds (I bought some NeoPiko to test out the paper with. lol)  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:11 pm
I've never actually used markers for my art, but I'm in almost the same position as you. I finally bought prismacolor colored pencils. I think it cost me about $60. But I'm just messing with them at the moment and tring to get a feel for them.  

kaname423

Yuki_Yue

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 4:35 pm
I heard good things about prismacolors, but I can make lcrayola colored pencils do my bidding too lol. In fact... I thing I had a set of Prang colored pencils that got a piece of mine snatched up by scott mcneil.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 1:41 pm
You're so good with using copic markers! I got Prisma Color Markers for X-mas and still haven't used them for fear of wreaking my pictures crying

Fallen Elementalist

Garkudion

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 7:14 pm
Oo oo! You're trying out markers too? Thats awesome! They're a bet awkward to use at first ( especially when you come from painting), but they're the fastest and most easy traditional color sketching too to use ( besides watercolor) for those projects that have to get done by a tight deadline @__@.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 9:02 pm
Working in new mediums or styles is definitly fun 3nodding , I've tried almost all of the mediums myself but copic markers have been the one I've wanted to try the most but was never able to, mostly because of their cost but even then, it's actually cause there isnt a store nearby that I can buy them at! I only have an ACMoore and a Micheals near me and they only carry the small prismacolor marker packs I'd want to get the largest pack with the widest selection of colors, oh how annoying. and I really dont see them for sale on online websites, anyone know a good site to get them off of?

But the prismacolored pencils are amazing, its one of my best mediums, trust me they are definitly worth the price, they blend and work so well that you'll never want to go back to using crayolas or prangs! xd especially if you use the colorless blender with them.  

Brittany Drew -a picture

` M a n g o

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 4:17 am

My art teacher had the entire COPIC set
(he used the school's budget for this).
He let me try it out..
At first I was overwhelmed.
But in truth, after trying it out, I disliked COPIC.
I prefer Photoshop or your simple PRIMA color pencils.
Because mistakes can be easily rubbed out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 9:49 am
I just looked at your devianart account and I dont know what your friends were talking about how you didnt earn them yet, I think you definitly have! 3nodding I really like the copic practice picture!  

Brittany Drew -a picture

TIPme

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2007 6:33 pm
I looked at your practice pic on your dev and its coming along fairly nice. My main advice would be: don't be afraid to blend different colors. For example, I think it would be better if you added different colors such as deco peach, oranges, and maybe even a light purple or light brown in the shading of the skin. However, this depends on how you want to color mainly. Just keep experimenting and have fun.
I've never used copic markers...but I'm sure they're somewhat simlair to prismas ^^;; inwhich case, I suggest you blend while the base(layed down color) is still wet.  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:44 am
I agree with TIPme. You seem to have a good grasp of shading and light, as well as blending although adding more colors can add depth to a picture as well... try a little yellow in the lighter spots on the leaves, for example.

And you know what? Hang the people that say you don't "deserve" your markers just because your art isn't manga-ka perfect. You're learning and experimenting, and that's all that matters. Keep at it! You'll be knocking those fools' socks off in no time. ^_^

HoujunRi

The Anime Art Academy

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff