Reply Main Forum
Stretches Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

silver_shimmer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2007 2:39 pm
Uh, I haven't gone through and read all of these suggestions yet, but I'm just going to say a few stretches I use:

Go to a wall, lay on your back with your butt up against the wall and your legs going straight up. Then let them drop to the sides, kind of like a splits. Go as far as you can go without immensely hurting yourself. Then stay like that for maybe a minute or two and just clear your mind and think of random things. It's fun! My class calls it....THE WALL STRETCH dun dun duuuunnnnnnnnn! xd

And that's all I really got. sweatdrop The other stuff I was going to mention has probably already been mentioned!  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 10:13 pm
Avis Rara
Ivorina
xx_turkish_delite_xx
Avis Rara
Ivorina
Hmmmmmmm the most effective stretch I've done as a late starter with flat feet is:

Stand at the barre in a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide second position. Plie veeeeeery slowly making sure that your butt and ribs aren't sticking out. The slower and wider, the better. Now after you're done plie-ing por de bra (sp) to the side, take it to the back making sure your elbows are touching your sides and then take it to the other side.
This exercise will imensely help your turnout and back.

Next one is where you stay in the same huuuge second position facing the barre and plie as deep as you can go. Now releve while still in the plie. Try this slow then fast.
This exercise will help your feet very much.

heart

How late did you start? I'm a super late starter with bad/stiff feet.

I started only a year ago (I'm 17 now). I did alot of releves at first and some massages. (Massages as in: massaging the arch of your foot so that the arch can be slowly risen. It doesn't help DRAMATICALLY but it does make a difference. 3nodding )
Also, when you're just sitting around at work or school or whatever, just point your toes. Relax and point. Relax and point. That helps alot with just strengthening and with arches as well. 3nodding Also conditions your feet to pointing all the time - especially when they're not touching the ground. smile

Oh yeah that reminds me, I also bought some expensive arch supports. (they sell an even better kind now that are cheaper apparently!) They do wonders for your entire body. I learned that walking around with turnout all the time was what was making my feet flatter. I try to walk now without sticking out my ribs so much and with my feet pointed straight ahead (like as though you were walking on the edge of a curb or something) I know it sounds strange but just the way you walk can effect how you dance. Just look at how people with high arches walk sometime and try to mimic them.

I'll try some arch supports. Thanks ^_^

I started dance when I was 19. The thing is I have weird feet I guess. They are super strong with an ok arch when I'm standing flat, but when I pointe them, they just don't move at all. I have to bend at the ankle entirely. It's like my arches were made of cement!

My teacher said that after only six months of ballet that I was strong enough to stand enpointe without pointe shoes (though I was not fully ready for pointe for another two years due to lack of technique/training, and no one should ever stand enpointe with out proper shoes).

I'm thinking of that tennis ball exercise. Do you know if that works? I have flex bands, but they just seem to make them even stronger, and more stiff. =

>.> What are flex balls?
Try a nice new tennis ball.
1. Place the ball on the ground and with one foot only (while standing on the other) stand on the tennis ball.
2. Massage around in circles (around your arch).
3. Repeat for other foot.

Huzzah!  

xx_turkish_delite_xx

BallisticBallerina
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:34 pm
this is my stretch routine
(after warming up)
1. slide down into split
2. strech over front leg stay for abput 30sec. - 1min.
3. place hands on each side over your back leg and strech backwards
4.bend one leg and put the other leg over the bend one also bent
5.stand of without using hands in that position you should end up in b plus  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:36 pm
xx_turkish_delite_xx
Avis Rara
Ivorina
xx_turkish_delite_xx
Avis Rara
Ivorina
Hmmmmmmm the most effective stretch I've done as a late starter with flat feet is:

Stand at the barre in a wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide second position. Plie veeeeeery slowly making sure that your butt and ribs aren't sticking out. The slower and wider, the better. Now after you're done plie-ing por de bra (sp) to the side, take it to the back making sure your elbows are touching your sides and then take it to the other side.
This exercise will imensely help your turnout and back.

Next one is where you stay in the same huuuge second position facing the barre and plie as deep as you can go. Now releve while still in the plie. Try this slow then fast.
This exercise will help your feet very much.

heart

How late did you start? I'm a super late starter with bad/stiff feet.

I started only a year ago (I'm 17 now). I did alot of releves at first and some massages. (Massages as in: massaging the arch of your foot so that the arch can be slowly risen. It doesn't help DRAMATICALLY but it does make a difference. 3nodding )
Also, when you're just sitting around at work or school or whatever, just point your toes. Relax and point. Relax and point. That helps alot with just strengthening and with arches as well. 3nodding Also conditions your feet to pointing all the time - especially when they're not touching the ground. smile

Oh yeah that reminds me, I also bought some expensive arch supports. (they sell an even better kind now that are cheaper apparently!) They do wonders for your entire body. I learned that walking around with turnout all the time was what was making my feet flatter. I try to walk now without sticking out my ribs so much and with my feet pointed straight ahead (like as though you were walking on the edge of a curb or something) I know it sounds strange but just the way you walk can effect how you dance. Just look at how people with high arches walk sometime and try to mimic them.

I started dance when I was 19. The thing is I have weird feet I guess. They are super strong with an ok arch when I'm standing flat, but when I pointe them, they just don't move at all. I have to bend at the ankle entirely. It's like my arches were made of cement!

My teacher said that after only six months of ballet that I was strong enough to stand enpointe without pointe shoes (though I was not fully ready for pointe for another two years due to lack of technique/training, and no one should ever stand enpointe with out proper shoes).

I'm thinking of that tennis ball exercise. Do you know if that works? I have flex bands, but they just seem to make them even stronger, and more stiff. =

>.> What are flex balls?
1. Place the ball on the ground and with one foot only (while standing on the other) stand on the tennis ball.

Huzzah!

oh yeah i do that with an empty glass bottle!  

BallisticBallerina
Vice Captain

xx_turkish_delite_xx

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2007 12:45 am
kstahl55
xx_turkish_delite_xx
Avis Rara
Ivorina
xx_turkish_delite_xx

>.> What are flex balls?

Huzzah!

eek That sounds seriously dangerous. What if you put too much pressure on the bottle and it brokeunder your foot? eek eek eek  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 7:28 am
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55
xx_turkish_delite_xx
Avis Rara
Ivorina
xx_turkish_delite_xx

>.> What are flex balls?

Huzzah!

eek That sounds seriously dangerous. What if you put too much pressure on the bottle and it brokeunder your foot? eek eek eek

don't worry its very very thick glass my mom had those old fashioned coke bottles the glass is so thick you would believe it plus i don't do the exact thing wrap my foot around the bottle it strengthens your arch.  

BallisticBallerina
Vice Captain

xx_turkish_delite_xx

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 5:25 pm
kstahl55
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55
xx_turkish_delite_xx
Avis Rara

>.> What are flex balls?

Huzzah!

don't worry its very very thick glass my mom had those old fashioned coke bottles the glass is so thick you would believe it plus i don't do the exact thing wrap my foot around the bottle it strengthens your arch.

How do you wrap it around your foot?  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:51 am
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55
xx_turkish_delite_xx
Avis Rara

>.> What are flex balls?

Huzzah!

oh did i say that redface i ment to say I wrap my foot around it or you can put your foot on it and roll the bottle around  

BallisticBallerina
Vice Captain

xx_turkish_delite_xx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2007 3:29 pm
kstahl55
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55

oh did i say that redface i ment to say I wrap my foot around it or you can put your foot on it and roll the bottle around

Oh, okay, cool. smile So just like my tennis ball thingo. smile  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 3:42 pm
hey guys

i just found this great info on feet and i found a great in depth how to using a tennis ball made by a doctor ^____^

Here it is

Fix Your Feet Balls (in combination with tennis balls) are the perfect tools for working on your arches. There are 26 bones, 33 joints, and an unspecified number of hinges in each foot and if you can find any pain while standing on either tennis balls, or these Fix Your Feet Balls, then you can be sure that those 26 bones, 33 joints, and unspecified number of hinges are in a disorganized state. And if your feet are disorganized then you can be sure that the rest of your body is too. Soreness (and downright excruciating pain) in the soft tissue is indicative of stressed and compromised musculature

How to use the tennis balls

This is done in one of two ways.
1) Stand with one ball (tennis or handball) under each foot. *Use only one ball under one foot if it is just too intense. If this is the case then you have got a project ahead of you but one worth undertaking!
Slowly shift your weight from foot to foot, each time changing the position of the ball a little bit. Take a nice slow breath and exhale for each pressure on the ball. Gradually work your way around the entire bottom of your foot. Each time you step onto the ball it will be in a different place, and little by little, you will "clear" the area. Clear means no pain. Rolling the balls around the bottoms of your feet does nothing we are interested in. It may feel like a little massage but it will do nothing to structurally reorganize the foot, which is what I want you to do.
Each session, I recommend using tennis balls to start out with, and then alternating with Fix Your Feet Balls. Replace your tennis balls as they begin to get soft. *Put 3 of your softer tennis balls in a sock and tie the top off tight. Use this tool to work on your hips and sacral area. See the complete instructions on the Flextasy website.

2) Use this method if it is too intense to stand on the balls at all, or if you just want to get at the feet from a different angle. Sit on a stool, or low step of the stairs, and put one ball under each foot. (Hopefully you can use the Fix Your Feet Balls for this, but I have had clients who have had to start this way with soft, worn-out tennis balls. Yikes!) Lean forward and rest your forearms on your legs near your knees. Lean as much pressure onto the balls as you comfortably, uncomfortably can. SLOWLY begin moving the balls around the bottoms of your feet. SLOWLY, cover the whole bottom, all the while looking for pain and trying to lovingly dissolve it. Don't miss any spots. In case you haven't noticed, SLOWLY, is the key word for this process.
Remember, the good part about this, and all of the tools I recommend, is that YOU are in charge. Take it easy and figure it out. It's just you and your pain. Work it out at your own pace, but work it out!

here are good ways to take care of your arches

How do arches get damage?

#1: Shoes which are not the shape of the healthy foot. Feet are not narrower at the front as most shoes are. Cram your foot into one and over time your foot will become shaped similarly (every day shoes only)

#2: Heels (anything over ½" high) which lift the back of the foot up and put too much pressure on all three arches: the transverse arch ( across the balls of the foot), the medial arch (inside), and the lateral (outside) arch. This pressure compresses the bones of the foot and inhibits the arches from working the way they were designed to work, as springs.

#3: Arch supports which inhibit the medial arch from dropping down to work as the spring it is designed to be. When the foot steps onto the ground it is meant to spread width-wise and also to lengthen (like a spring).

#4: Walking on hard, flat surfaces. Walking on flat surfaces doesn't require the 26 bones of the foot to move much; uneven surfaces (take a hike someday) actually massage the joints and hinges of the feet, mobilize the ankles, and cause differentiating movement to occur through all the calf muscles.

#5: Walking with the feet turned out. This is very common and wreaks havoc with the ways the arches, hinges, and joints of the foot are designed to work as the foot lands and pushes off the ground during organized walking. This also destroys ankle function and creates a dense, painful calf.

*As you work out the pain and soreness in your feet with these balls you will be allowing the 3 arches (medial, lateral, transverse), the 26 bones, the 33 joints, and the unspecified number of hinges to reestablish themselves back to normal, individually, and in relation to each other.

No matter what anyone tries to sell you, never use hard balls like golf balls or wooden tools to work on your feet. It's too easy to mistake uncovering and dissolving pain with inflicting pain. It's not hard to bruise your feet and that will only set you back.  

Avis Rara

Avis Rara

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:12 pm
A totally amazing arch stretch!!

Stand with your toes up on a ledge of 2-4", do circles with your knees,
start at locked then move them to one side then to comfortably bent
toward the front then to the other side then back to lock, do about 10 of
these smoothing them out then switch directions and do 10 more, this will release the plantar fascia very well. You might also try this while holding your hands and fingers in extension and abduction.

Note this will work better if you avoid discomfort and pain, so adjust your movements according to your body's signals

I also made this great stretch and work out for the arch
It"s an amazing workout and my feet look better already!
I"ll post some before and after pics soon

Cut a tennis ball in half

Put one half inside the other to make it stronger

Place the ball on the ground (round side up)

Put your arch over the ball

Slowly do releves and plies making sure that the ball of you foot is on the ground and your arch is on the ball

Swich feet and your"re done ^___^  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 5:53 pm
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55

thank you so much for the info

i"ve found some amazing stuff when i searched that stretch  

Avis Rara

BallisticBallerina
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:59 am
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55

yep smile  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 10:23 pm
Avis Rara
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55
xx_turkish_delite_xx
kstahl55

thank you so much for the info

i"ve found some amazing stuff when i searched that stretch

Glad to have helped! heart  

xx_turkish_delite_xx

DancingSandy243

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 10:56 am
hmmm..

turnoutt.. mine is great (: probably the best thing i can do in ballet.. if thats a good thing neutral

anyways when ur going to bed laydown on your back and put ur feet in a butterfly.. idk why but i always do this.
it may hurt at first, but just relax, cuz its easy
< > (<-- thats how ur legs should look, if that makes sense)

the other easy stretch is for turnout also. well the frog position every1 should kno. do this while watching tv, or reading a book

to help your straddle, or middle split, lay on ur back with ur butt completely against the wall and open ur legs. try to let ur legs touch the ground. it hurts.. this one girl starting crying so dont push urself too hard. make sure ur warmed up first!!! and then have someone move each foot down further.. gravity with force ur legs down and ur straddle will improve. after like a minute when u start to get used to it, have someone lower them even further.
read a book while you lay against the wall, its fun (: haha
or work ur abs by doing sit ups, but just use ur abs & up. nothing else
does that make sense? idk but my straddle & jumps are pretty good!  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff