Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Back to Guilds

Reply Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild
Count Cain *Spoilers aplenty now... Enter at own risk* Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Shura Yukihime

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 3:07 am
(Hmmm, this is my first time starting a topic, so...)

Anyway, I'm sure most of the people have read at least something of Count Cain, so I'll initiate a discussion now...

What chapters are your favorites so far, and which ones do you find particularly disturbing?

For me, I find my favorite chapters are Godless, The Tragedy of Miss Pudding, Misericorde, The Mortician's Daughter, Castrato, and Judas' Kiss.

However... Scold's Bridle gives me nightmares. I have no idea why... but I find the mask seriously disturbing... It makes me shiver.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

I'm sick of debating the topic below with myself too, and since I doubt I'm the only person who's read Godless, I'd like to ask you what you think of the ending... (Warning: It's VERY full of SPOILERS. If you haven't finished the series, and you highlight the words below, you'll be damaging your own fun...)

*SPOILERS WARNING*

I think the series ended very nicely, what with Jezebel's last minute change in thoughts and all, and Riff returning to his former self, not the demented monster he was for a few books, as well as Cain running back into Riff's arms during the cave in, where he quite literally died in Riff's arms... At least, if my eyes weren't playing tricks on me and I read the captions right...

However, my problem with the ending comes with the sudden bombshell that actually Alexis was not the one behind everything that happened, and it was in fact Augusta who was behind all his actions. I think that was a little too sudden... Especially since she led us to believe that Augusta was actually the victimized party all the while, what with the chapter entitled The Sound of A Boy Hatching... So honestly, does anyone else think the ending was funny, or is it just my being over-sensitive to having my initial feelings tossed upside down?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 4:05 am
Shura Yukihime
(Hmmm, this is my first time starting a topic, so...)

Anyway, I'm sure most of the people have read at least something of Count Cain, so I'll initiate a discussion now...

What chapters are your favorites so far, and which ones do you find particularly disturbing?

For me, I find my favorite chapters are Godless, The Tragedy of Miss Pudding, Misericorde, The Mortician's Daughter, Castrato, and Judas' Kiss.

However... Scold's Bridle gives me nightmares. I have no idea why... but I find the mask seriously disturbing... It makes me shiver.

I'm sick of debating the topic below with myself too, and since I doubt I'm the only person who's read Godless, I'd like to ask you what you think of the ending... (Warning: It's VERY full of SPOILERS. If you haven't finished the series, and you highlight the words below, you'll be damaging your own fun...)

*SPOILERS WARNING*

I think the series ended very nicely, what with Jezebel's last minute change in thoughts and all, and Riff returning to his former self, not the demented monster he was for a few books, as well as Cain running back into Riff's arms during the cave in, where he quite literally died in Riff's arms... At least, if my eyes weren't playing tricks on me and I read the captions right...

However, my problem with the ending comes with the sudden bombshell that actually Alexis was not the one behind everything that happened, and it was in fact Augusta who was behind all his actions. I think that was a little too sudden... Especially since she led us to believe that Augusta was actually the victimized party all the while, what with the chapter entitled The Sound of A Boy Hatching... So honestly, does anyone else think the ending was funny, or is it just my being over-sensitive to having my initial feelings tossed upside down?

My favorite chapters are Misericord, Judas no Seppun, Godless, Castrato and maybe Little Miss Muffet because it showshow much of a softey Jezebel really is...

Godless...makes me cry everytime I read it. It's so WRONG...yet so right -_-  

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Rociel - Inorganic Angel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 5:33 am
To be honest i haven't read much of Count Cain.

I did scans of Rociel and Katan from Angel Sanctuary so my friend was kind enough to do Count Cain scanlations of Cain and Riff heart

I agree though... with the part about Alexis, i think they could have left that twist out.

But the ending with Cain and Riff... was absolutely perfect i believe. It's funny because never once did i think that is was going to end like that.. that Cain would actually do that.

... It's hard trying to explain my feelings without giving away spoilers.. but anyhow, considering i don't know much about many of the other characters, Cain and Riff have to be my favourite. The pair combined make each other stronger and more favourable, just as Rociel and Katan ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:37 am
*peeks in* >.>

Heh, me being the said friend from the person posting above. n_n;

OMG you have no idea how much I love this series. Every time I read through it again I notice things that I have no idea how I missed before. I read the first 'half' on sakura-crisis, became addicted, and then had to hunt down a table selling untranslated manga at the nearest anime convention. XD And, of course, me being the impatient person I am, I flipped right to the LAST volume and was like.. ."T______T Awww.. ."

*SPOILERS*
But the thing with Alexis/Augusta I have to admit, was really really sudden and unexplained. When you go back and look at things with the new perspective, it doesn't make much sense. Augusta threw herself out of a window. . why? She already had control over Alexis, why go to the trouble of killing yourself and becoming a shriveled head? <_<;; I can imagine her destroying Alexis from 'beyond' as an act of revenge, but really. . .why make her into the villain? It makes no sense!

OTHER than that, I thought she ended the series well. I wasn't expecting a lot of the characters to live through it, which is why I was not so shocked at Cain and Riff. What did surprise me was the way she had them die. Riff's already dead?! AAH! XD But looking back on it, it makes all too much sense. And I was very pleased that they died together instead of having individual deaths or some-such.

BTW, does anyone know exactly HOW Cain died? It never really explains. . .my guess is that he still had the little bottle of poison he took to kill his father with him. And downed it all. <_<; But that's just my theory.

Yaaay, my little avatar Cain finally has some clothing. XD  

Cain_Hargreaves

YaminoSadame

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:38 am
I've read the scans that are on sc.net, but that's about it, and it's been soooo long I need to reread them. And speaking of Godless, is there a good site that has translations?  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:46 am
YaminoSadame
I've read the scans that are on sc.net, but that's about it, and it's been soooo long I need to reread them. And speaking of Godless, is there a good site that has translations?

There's one site that just has the script translations, no images or scans to go with it. It's http://www.aptoshs.net/~echan/MangaList.html  

Cain_Hargreaves

Sonoshi
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 10:50 am
Ack! the tragedy of miss pudding is just so good!

though I have only read most of the chapters one time, 'cause I don't really like reading manga on the computer.. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 1:06 pm
How many volumes are there? i've read up to vol 6, and so far i like the episodes about cain's past the most. miss pudding was a very good one too, i felt so sorry for poor Radcliff. crying  

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

Cain_Hargreaves

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:01 pm
Sanekazura
How many volumes are there? i've read up to vol 6, and so far i like the episodes about cain's past the most. miss pudding was a very good one too, i felt so sorry for poor Radcliff. crying

There's thirteen volumes in all, eight of which are one 'story arc' called God Child which completes the series. <_< Sakura-Crisis is in the process of translating volume two of that.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 2:22 pm
Cain_Hargreaves

There's one site that just has the script translations, no images or scans to go with it. It's http://www.aptoshs.net/~echan/MangaList.html

Thank you sooooooo much. whee  

YaminoSadame

Kamikaze Pedestrian
Crew

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 1:41 am
Cain_Hargreaves
Sanekazura

There's thirteen volumes in all, eight of which are one 'story arc' called God Child which completes the series. <_< Sakura-Crisis is in the process of translating volume two of that.

then i have some to look forward too^^ thanks for telling me!  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 2:03 am
Cain_Hargreaves: I think Cain died by getting banged by the falling rocks... *runs off to check her book* If what I get from her translations are right, he died as a result of the cave in. Because she says something about 'why I didn't draw Cain to be all bloody was because I wanted to have him in Riff's arms, and the shattered glass to look like feathers'. Yes, I'm a lousy translator... but then Taiwan's Chinese isn't the simplified ones I'm used to, so...So then he should have died in the cave in... if it was poison, she would have mentioned it or something... But that's how I read the book... it could be depending on how one looked at it...

Anyways, nice to see you share my taste in banners... blaugh

Personally though... I don't really see GodChild as a story arc. It's not really evident until Judas' Kiss that there's a story arc going in... it still seems like Cain's still solving his mysteries and all that.. just that he has more encounters with DELILAH than usual...  

Shura Yukihime

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 7:57 am
Shura Yukihime
Cain_Hargreaves: I think Cain died by getting banged by the falling rocks... *runs off to check her book* If what I get from her translations are right, he died as a result of the cave in. Because she says something about 'why I didn't draw Cain to be all bloody was because I wanted to have him in Riff's arms, and the shattered glass to look like feathers'. Yes, I'm a lousy translator... but then Taiwan's Chinese isn't the simplified ones I'm used to, so...So then he should have died in the cave in... if it was poison, she would have mentioned it or something... But that's how I read the book... it could be depending on how one looked at it...

Anyways, nice to see you share my taste in banners... blaugh

Personally though... I don't really see GodChild as a story arc. It's not really evident until Judas' Kiss that there's a story arc going in... it still seems like Cain's still solving his mysteries and all that.. just that he has more encounters with DELILAH than usual...

Its true that God Child can totally stand alone. It has a different flavor from the first part of the Count Cain series.
As for what happens in Godless.
SPOILERYCain and Riff died in the cave in.
It was Alexis that was poisoned. Cain attempted to poison his father during their last encounter, then went to destroy Augusta's head but Alexis jumped in the way and got sliced and Cain was horrified. He didn't really want to kill his father that way...Dominique walked away from the cave in to tell Merryweather and Oscar about it. Very very sad...;_; but Cain cant live without Riff and Riff can't live without Cain...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:13 am
Oooooh, thanks you guys! I'd never found a translation to the notes in the back of the book, and unfortunately Miss Yuki's handwriting is hard to decipher. =/ I can read a fairly good amount of Japanese . . . if the hiragana is also given!

*SPOILER*
That makes a lot more sense. I just remember thinking, "But he didn't have any mortal wounds!!" XD The cave-in would have been my second option, and now I know it's the right one.  

Cain_Hargreaves

Sai-kun
Captain

Dapper Fairy

9,300 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2004 8:19 am
Cain_Hargreaves
Oooooh, thanks you guys! I'd never found a translation to the notes in the back of the book, and unfortunately Miss Yuki's handwriting is hard to decipher. =/ I can read a fairly good amount of Japanese . . . if the hiragana is also given!

*SPOILER*
That makes a lot more sense. I just remember thinking, "But he didn't have any mortal wounds!!" XD The cave-in would have been my second option, and now I know it's the right one.

handwritten notes/scribbles are always a pain to decipher >_< and precious few translators/scanlators give them any attention when a lot of the time they hold a lot of info, or some really funny joke or comment...  
Gothic Fairyland - the official Kaori Yuki guild

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff