Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Where Is The World Headed?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Are you involved in the GGDG website?
Yes
9%
 9%  [ 1 ]
No
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
I want to be, but dont know what to do...
54%
 54%  [ 6 ]
Theres a website o_O ?...
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 11

Poma

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 9:27 am
Lol ok not the world but our guild website. I havent been here for a week or so and it doesnt look like much has changed smile I was wondering if we could get a sticky going for the progress of the website, what areas need to be worked on, what areas are being worked on, any graphics that need to be done. I saw the banner for the website and was wondering if we were going with those colors or that kind of style for it as well? Things like that.

I also hear of articles being up on the site and had an idea for an article and a tutorial to follow it up. I am getting into pixel animation and read a few good things about it, found some great software, and alot of tutorials so I could write something for it, and either have a link to the tutorila or do my own, with a lot of refrences lol.

Hehe let me, "us", know smile  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 6:26 pm
Well, this month is the contest for the actual layout of the website... what the graphics will be like, and everything.

We can definitely start thinking about the different sections we want on the site, so go ahead and suggest things, everyone. We can continue the conversation about it in the guild website thread... I think there's one here somewhere... ah yes. I will post in there with a list of what we have so far.

And hopefully... the world is headed in a good direction. This guild definitely is, so that's good. smile  

SilverVixen
Vice Captain

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2004 8:09 pm
I have a few ideas of articles and things I'd like to see, but I haven't had any training in GD, or been actively trying to learn about it for very long, so its hard for me to come up with articles and things due to my lack of knowledge. Thats why I'm asking for suggestions biggrin

Here's some ideas for articles that I think might be interesting/useful:

- reviews of the main computer applications used in graphic design, what they're used for, strengths and weaknesses, good places to purchase them, average prices etc, as well as reviews on new releases of these programs (like how is Photoshop CS better than/different to Photoshop 7?)

- tutorials for the basic use of those programs (we already have one on Photoshop, and most of one on Illustrator)

- average salaries for graphic designers, illustrators, web designers, web developers, and other related fields, in different countries. It would require quite a bit of research, but I think the results would be very interesting, particularly for people thinking of pursuing their career in a different country

- if anyone in the guild owns a business, or is a freelancer, a diary of a project from beginning to end would be good, including dealing with the client, planning stages, problems, triumphs etc.

- case study of a specific website/poster/something else, where the writer just takes apart the different elements in it, and describes what is good and bad about it, possible improvements, etc... (need someone with confidence and enough knowledge to be able to criticise)

- tutorials tutorials I love tutorials!

I'm going to check out a few GD sites and try and come up with some more ideas  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2004 10:31 am
I've been trying to think of a topic I could write about. I used to have some tutorials up on my website, I'll check if they're still up on my server and do a re-write... Also, I'm thinking of writing a 'how not to deal with a difficult client' (AKA how I made more mistakes than I thought possible) article/diary ^^

Edit:

I found:
- Div vs. Span tags
- Renaming folders w/ PHP
- Forms
- Converting HTML to PHP

Nothing terribly exciting whee What should I do with them after I rewrite?  

Suubi

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2004 8:24 pm
Suubi
I've been trying to think of a topic I could write about. I used to have some tutorials up on my website, I'll check if they're still up on my server and do a re-write... Also, I'm thinking of writing a 'how not to deal with a difficult client' (AKA how I made more mistakes than I thought possible) article/diary ^^

Edit:

I found:
- Div vs. Span tags
- Forms
- Converting HTML to PHP

Excellent! They all sound really useful, I don't know a lot about PHP, so I could really use those. I think maybe a basic HTML tutorial might be good to do first? For the people who don't know any, and for people who do to consolidate what they know, and fill in holes in their knowledge (I know I have a few >.<). Interesting in writing something like that?

Hang onto anything you've dont for the moment, and Silver or I will get an email address and maybe a Photobucket account that people can submit articles and contest entries to.

More ideas!
- colour theory, different connotations that colours have, where it is and isn't usually appropriate to use a certain colour etc

Thats all I got at the moment... just finished my last exam, so I can give this whole project a lot more attention blaugh  
PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2004 10:01 pm
I could do an html one, in a few days. If someone else does it before, great too ^^ I have several gaia commisions waiting for me at the moment sweatdrop  

Suubi

Chisa
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 6:09 am
Suubi
I could do an html one, in a few days. If someone else does it before, great too ^^ I have several gaia commisions waiting for me at the moment sweatdrop
We're aiming to get first issue out at the start of January, so as long as its don by then, theres no problem 3nodding

I'm working on a list of articles for the first issue... but come on people, we need more ideas!  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 2:00 pm
Chisa
I have a few ideas of articles and things I'd like to see, but I haven't had any training in GD, or been actively trying to learn about it for very long, so its hard for me to come up with articles and things due to my lack of knowledge. Thats why I'm asking for suggestions biggrin

Here's some ideas for articles that I think might be interesting/useful:

- reviews of the main computer applications used in graphic design, what they're used for, strengths and weaknesses, good places to purchase them, average prices etc, as well as reviews on new releases of these programs (like how is Photoshop CS better than/different to Photoshop 7?)

- tutorials for the basic use of those programs (we already have one on Photoshop, and most of one on Illustrator)

- average salaries for graphic designers, illustrators, web designers, web developers, and other related fields, in different countries. It would require quite a bit of research, but I think the results would be very interesting, particularly for people thinking of pursuing their career in a different country

- if anyone in the guild owns a business, or is a freelancer, a diary of a project from beginning to end would be good, including dealing with the client, planning stages, problems, triumphs etc.

- case study of a specific website/poster/something else, where the writer just takes apart the different elements in it, and describes what is good and bad about it, possible improvements, etc... (need someone with confidence and enough knowledge to be able to criticise)

- tutorials tutorials I love tutorials!

I'm going to check out a few GD sites and try and come up with some more ideas

I just did a project on web design / graphic design... so I have the $ stats for that ^_^  

Raine Dragon

Sparkling Dragon

18,890 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Tycoon 200

Darkshrimp

PostPosted: Sun Nov 21, 2004 2:37 am
there is a website? sweatdrop oh yeah..that..... sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:05 am
i've only been here for a day but its so hard to contribute when everyone seems to be offline gonk  

Naiadrisa

hello hoshi

6,450 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 2:09 pm
I wish everyone had their own job 3nodding
Or something to do.
I really want to be more active... but o_O
What is there to do....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2004 11:18 pm
There's an announcement at the top that gives the details of the website, and what jobs are needed at the moment (currently just need writers). After the voting on the layout is over, and a few more things get organised, there will be more jobs to do with layouts and graphics and stuff, so hold on, there will be plenty to do soon enough!  

Chisa
Vice Captain

hello hoshi

6,450 Points
  • Forum Dabbler 200
  • First step to fame 200
  • Person of Interest 200
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 4:23 am
can't wait :3  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 7:07 pm
Suubi

Edit:

I found:
- Div vs. Span tags
- Forms
- Converting HTML to PHP

What do you mean convert html to php? all php dose is dynamicly generate html  

Better of Two Evils

That Crazy Botvinnik

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2004 9:37 pm
*thinks* What could I do? Ooh! Ooh! I know! Why don't I make a section for PS7+ tutorials?  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games