Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
South Park's Atheists of the Future! *Found it's Guild* Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Your favorite Atheist expletive!
  By science, he's right!
  Science damn you!
  Oh my science!
  Jesus H. Science!
  What in the name of science...!
  Sweat merciful science!
  *I made up my own, and I'm posting it in the thread.*
View Results

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:24 am
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

This thread is in refference to two episodes of South Park: "Go God Go & Go God Go: Part II." Here's a VERY brief summery.

South Park
Eric Cartman wants a Wii. He decides freezing himself in the mountains will suspend him until the Wii's release. He wakes up in the far future, and it is run by Atheists. In the past, Richard Dawkins was hired to teach evolution, and converts Mr/Ms Garison. They become "romantically" involved and he/she makes Dawkins aggressively pursue converting everyone. There are three future atheist groups (one being a group of evolved talking otters) and they are all warring over what to call themselves.

If you haven't seen it and want to watch them, you can check them out here:

~~~~~- http://allabout-sp.net/?p=season10/1012

~~~~~- http://allabout-sp.net/?p=season10/1013

If you just want the details hit-up these links (They even have responses from Nintendo and Richard Dawkins):

~~~~~- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_God_Go

~~~~~- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Go_God_Go_II

There's even a guild. I just had to join. xd

~~~~~-http://www.gaiaonline.com/guilds/index.php?guild_id=33161

Anyway, some people see these episodes and see it as a statement to the flaws of Atheism, some see it as offensive to Atheists, and even some even find it insulting to theism. In the show we see Atheist organizations essentially acting like religious leaders and killing each other over denominations and views. We see a poke at evolution with the evolvement of talking sea otters. We also see a comparison with science to religion with all the "Atheinized" expletives. However, As is customary with South Park, I think there was a good message, but you have to stop being offended to see it. Here are the points I think they were trying to make:

~~~1) By showing a future where Atheists are at war over what to call themselves, they were not showing that Atheists are as ignorant as the tyranical religious leaders who started such wars in the past, but saying that "even if religion is removed, people, and evolved talking otters, will find something to war over, no matter how trivial." I really feel this was more of an attack on human, and otter, nature than it was on Atheism. I think a lot of us would agree that people like to war, regardless of what it's over, and it's just a nasty part of human nature.

~~~2) By portraying Atheist leaders like religious leaders, and by "Atheinizing" religious expletives such as "God Damn it!" as "Science Damn it!", they were not saying that science is just like a religion, but showing that to some Atheists (mind you, all these Atheists of the future follow the Garison influenced Atheist ideology of "Using logic and reason isn't enough, you have to be a d**k to everyone who doesn't think like you) science is their replacement for religion, and then the show goes on to show the dangers of doing so. By the way, "Oh my science!" was my favorite expletive. OMS!

~~~3) A lot of people think that by showing three Atheist groups trying to use logic to answer a question, only to come up with three different answer, shows the fallacy of logic. I partially agree. What I think they were trying to say is that, anytime you believe in something so strongly that you think it infallible, you are flirting with disaster. The point they were trying to make is that we are human, or otters, and that we are flawed, and so we have to accept the possibility that our logic is flawed as well. If we blindly believe in our logic, then we would be no better than faith belivers. We have to always accept the reality that our logic is based off perception, hense, to the otters "The other's (Atheist Groups) answer is not based on good science! They go around chopping tree's to make tables, when they have perfectly good tummies to eat off of, how logical is that!?" Not very logical for a talking otter, but very logical for a human. Perception is key.

I know Trey & Matt (South Park Creaters) are theists, so I'm sure they had some intent of poking fun at us, but as long as they do it in a funny way that isn't just mindless bashing, I'm cool with it.

Anyway, what duth ya'll think? What do you think of the episodes? What do you think of the issues they addressed? Did you really read all of the first post? Wow, really? I'm impressed.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:19 am
I found this on wikipedia and thought it was interesting even though it was from... wikipedia.
wikiiii
Although Parker regularly mocks religion on South Park, he does believe in God (though he didn't mention of which religion). On a September 2006 airing of the ABC newsmagazine Nightline, Parker articulated his position:

* "Basically...out of all the ridiculous religion stories---which are greatly, wonderfully ridiculous---the silliest one I've ever heard is..."yeah...there's this big giant universe and it's expanding, it's all gonna collapse on itself and we're all just here 'just cuz'..."just cuz". That, to me, is the most ridiculous explanation ever." [2]

This somewhat contrasts with the views of Matt Stone, who has expressed doubt as to the existence of a god or greater meaning.

I'll probably look at this stuff more later because I shoulds get going, but I definitely would agree with parodying those who like to claim atheism will solve everything. So that's kind of your first point there, never mind >.>  

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

Dread Dionaea

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:12 am
I loved it. I was really excessively happy with the episode. Honestly, whether or not it made fun of us it was really poignant. This sort of thing really mirrors my view that humans are by nature argumentative and there will always be a point of contention.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:14 pm
How dare they insult us, those science-forsaken bastards!! scream  

Redem

EmmaRaikou

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 12:54 pm
Am I the only one who thought it was really stupid?

I mean, I really like South Park and agreed with the episode's premise, but it was actually sort of lame.

I dunno. Maybe I'm just picky. D;  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:04 pm
It definitely couldn't be worse than the World of Warcraft episode.

I mean, WTF? I've played that damn game and I still thought it was retarded as all Hell. My mind's been blown to pieces that some people actually thought it was funny.

Honestly, I guess I'm just happy that Atheists were shown in animated media. It may have been largely negative but it was playful. It's refreshing after so much horrific press. I'm surprised Matt and Trey are religious though. I sorta assumed that the writers of a funny and progressive show would be Atheists. That shows I'm more prejudiced than I thought I was.  

Dread Dionaea

Redem

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:09 pm
To be honest I found their entire last season to be a bit retarded.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 1:13 pm
Shows run out of ideas over time. The Simpsons and Family Guy are going the same way too. I didn't see the whole last season, but the Oprah one was spectacularly stupid. I can't agree or disagree with the sentiment having not seen it all, though.  

Dread Dionaea

Prince Rilian

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:23 am
I wote about this on OpenDiary. It angered me. Atheists wouldn't act like that. And then they ended it by saying, "No answer is ever the right answer." I hate that post-modern, wishy-washy agnostic bullshit.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 2:27 pm
Gawd, South Park is good.
I love how the theists blame it for corrupting the minds of their soon to be(or already are) brainwashed children.
For the love of science!
Why can't they see the light?! In all it's waviness.

cup_noodles

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:03 am
Dread Dionaea
It definitely couldn't be worse than the World of Warcraft episode.

I've heard so much about that episode, and I still haven't seen it.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:27 am

I loved that episode. I was not offended in the least with it. I mean, come on, even when you believe in something, you have to take time to laugh at yourself. It's like calling yourself stupid when you did something that was purely retarded.

I love the points you brought up, Dathu. And I really do agree with all of them. And to the person who said atheists will never act like that, that's not what the episode was trying to portray. I saw it as saying that war is pointless, and that no matter who you are, when you believe in something you are going to be an arrogant b*****d and fight for it.
x3

That show had a lot of really good points to it. And as Dathu said, you had to stop being offended to see it.

Really, there was no reason to be offended; those shows are made in good fun. And if you can't take time to laugh at yourself.. That's just wrongggg.

Yami_Ichi

Dathu

Newbie Noob

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 11:35 am
Yami_Ichi

I loved that episode. I was not offended in the least with it. I mean, come on, even when you believe in something, you have to take time to laugh at yourself. It's like calling yourself stupid when you did something that was purely retarded.

I love the points you brought up, Dathu. And I really do agree with all of them. And to the person who said atheists will never act like that, that's not what the episode was trying to portray. I saw it as saying that war is pointless, and that no matter who you are, when you believe in something you are going to be an arrogant b*****d and fight for it.
x3

That show had a lot of really good points to it. And as Dathu said, you had to stop being offended to see it.

Really, there was no reason to be offended; those shows are made in good fun. And if you can't take time to laugh at yourself.. That's just wrongggg.

Damn. And that's the worst kind of wrong: the four 'g' wrong. talk2hand  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:40 pm
I loved the WOW one XD never seen the Atheist one though, but it doesn't suprise me.

Excuse me while I run off to YouTube to see it so I can write a decent response blaugh  

Ruminating Skeptic

Shaded Spriter

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:11 pm
I think the last line when Cartman fixed the future about the French-Chinese attacking solidifies the point that is being made...

war happens We are a very social animal but we are also very Territorial in nature...that is what most of the wars have been fought for - including the religious ones. Someone has a piece of land that we want - BOOM we attack take it...I think governments in this sense are slightly a good thing because without them we might have more in fighting between people...also capitalism solves this...but not 100% (yay for police.)  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff