Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
St. Patrick's Day. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:55 pm
Someone in the Chatterbox made a St. Patty's post.

Quote:
We should at least appreciate the true meaning of St. Patty's Day, the guy himself. If he wasn't born, well, I wouldn't be posting this....would I?

Now, I can never forget the thoughts of my very Irish college roommate-- "Do you even know what the hell you're celebrating!?"

She's an advocate of hatred for St. Patrick's Day. After all, "driving the snakes out of Ireland" is really a metaphor for something else.

Although, she does take glee in the 4 leaf clover, as it is not a 3 leaf clover, which is another metaphor. biggrin

Your thoughts--  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:02 pm
I admit I just use it as an excuse to party, as I did today. Yes, I know it's just 10 PM--I do have to work sometimes razz However, I'm Irish (also German, and Norwegian) so I know the backstory. As big of a history geek as I can be, I don't rightly care beyond knowing the story.  

Dread Dionaea

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:17 pm
Dread Dionaea
I admit I just use it as an excuse to party, as I did today. Yes, I know it's just 10 PM--I do have to work sometimes razz However, I'm Irish (also German, and Norwegian) so I know the backstory. As big of a history geek as I can be, I don't rightly care beyond knowing the story.

lol. I don't really, either. I figure, what the hell. Everyone gets drunk-- that's TOTALLY religious.

Yeah, it's ironic. Isn't it?

Now I'm thinkin' I'm gonna go get the green food coloring and a bottle of something that burns on the way down. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:22 pm
EVERCLEAR!!

No, you'll kill yourself. xd

I suggest just straight vodka. It's clear and would turn a nice green fast. Damn, if only I hadn't just dismissed the last person I'd have a great time on my hands. I guess I can continue tomorrow.  

Dread Dionaea

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:50 am
My friends family is part Irish so they always do fun stuff on St. Paddys day. I've really no care for the story or anything else. Just that I can eat some damn good food and drink without feeling guilty about. >: D  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 8:12 am
My family's Russian ad I'm sorry but I couldn't care less what the holiday is about. All I know is that a Saint was involved. The only reasons my family celebrates it is because it's an extra shot to drink vodka (which, as you know, Russians are pros at wink ) and for my mum, its an extra chance to make delicate foods.  

russiangal367

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:42 pm
Hmmm....I don't really celebrate St. Patricks Day. It's celebrating some person who was supposed to be do good things...I actually don't know much about the origination of that holiday other than it has to do with some Saint.

My friend who is coming over to day is half Irish though. So when we go out I throw on a greenish head-band just so that no one can use the excuse of "Not wearing green" to pinch me.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:51 pm
I'm From Ireland and I hate the day, mainly beacuse of the abuse of alcohal and alcohals tie with my being raped. Some holidays just don't make sense to me, Oh St. Patrick drove the snakes out lets drink, that makes me think of easter. Jesus rose from the grave, get the chocolate bunnys and lets hunt for eggs. I mean really, does that make sense?  

Albino Rain

Dread Dionaea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:04 pm
Rabbits and eggs are from the ancient pagan holiday in honor of the goddess Eoster. Plenty of pagan rituals were seized during the Christian expansion so that the commoners would feel better about joining in. The festival was priorly about fertility. Rabbits and eggs are obviously fertility symbols.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:08 pm
Sure, it's about Saint Patrick and the fantastic story of how he drove the snakes out of Ireland...those tales really work well to draw a crowd. Much like comic books. But I celebrate Saint Patrick's Day because I like green. But not as much as blue.  

ProjectOmicron88

Albino Rain

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:11 pm
Dread Dionaea
Rabbits and eggs are from the ancient pagan holiday in honor of the goddess Eoster. Plenty of pagan rituals were seized during the Christian expansion so that the commoners would feel better about joining in. The festival was priorly about fertility. Rabbits and eggs are obviously fertility symbols.
Oh. Alright, thankyou for explaining that. My father always told me, "They just are now out of my way f** boy", it makes sense now. Well, Kinda..still don't get the conection to Jesus riseing.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 1:18 pm
There is none. Nor is there a connection between All Hallow's Eve and Samhain. It's basically just whichever holiday the early Christians thought was close enough to their own in terms of time of year.  

Dread Dionaea

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:07 pm
Dread Dionaea

Ponders*  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 2:21 pm
Yeah to add to Dionaea's thing, it's like christian holidays are just kind of partially replacing older holidays and traditions. They couldn't completely replace what people were doing.

I've never heard anyone really put much thought into St Patricks other than wearing green and a chance for a party. xP And pinching.
My family is.. part everything. Mother's side is mostly irish (maybe some russian, I don't remember and people got remarried several times x.x), dad's is scottish and cherokee. We never really did anything at all with it at home, for me it was mostly with friends and at school.

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers