Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Other Religions?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2007 10:06 pm
Okay, so none of us here are too big on the idea of a higher power. The big three (Islam, Judaism, and Christianity) are monotheistic, so if believing in one god isn't a big thing, then polytheism probably isn't big with a lot of you, either, myself included, so I'm skipping over that. But what do you think about nontheistic religions?

Buddhism
More like self-help than anything. Buddhists embrace the Buddha's Eightfold Path, which consists of such elements as improving one's speech, actions, livelihood, and everyday effort. Perfection in all aspects of the Eightfold Path is said to result in perfection as a human being. So far, only the Buddha is purported to have devoted himself fully to this.

Native American Mysticism
In the interest of avoiding generalization as much as possible, I would like to point out that different tribes had different beliefs. However, singularly-held concepts of native American religion entails admittedly mystic beliefs, but at the same time promotes the very important concept of the preservation of the earth in its natural beauty and utter necessity.

Jediism
In 2001, the U.S. census saw a rather odd movement of people claiming their religion to be "Jedi", after the mythical protectors of the galaxy from the Star Wars films. Although very mystic by its nature, the tenets of Jediism are still taken seriously by several people today, as it promotes the importance of making the right choices that benefit others before oneself...even though many would argue that the Dark Side gets the cooler powers.  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 6:55 am
blaugh The fact that Jediism is a semi-recognized religion only goes to show how ficticious religions, theistic or not, really are.

I tend to be a slave to my five senses. Life forces, chi, souls, or even the idea of reincarnation or enlightenment seem a little to unbelievable. I am skeptical towards them for the same reasons I am towards a god or gods: lack of reliable evidence.

On a good note: at least they aren't trying to shove their beliefs down my throat.

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Dark_lord_15

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:51 pm
The other day I thought I just might tell my mother (atheist) that I am no longer a christian... I converted to Hinduism. Gosh, the image I got when I thought of that was so funny I'm going to have to try it now.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 2:53 pm
Dathu
blaugh The fact that Jediism is a semi-recognized religion only goes to show how ficticious religions, theistic or not, really are.

I tend to be a slave to my five senses. Life forces, chi, souls, or even the idea of reincarnation or enlightenment seem a little to unbelievable. I am skeptical towards them for the same reasons I am towards a god or gods: lack of reliable evidence.

On a good note: at least they aren't trying to shove their beliefs down my throat.

The Flying Spagheti Monster major kicks a**. Better than any jedi. Let's have a war, and see if my lord, savior with his noodley apendage, or your stupid force-using jedis will win biggrin

Dark_lord_15

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff