Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
my parents r sending me ta a christian counceling camp Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

rion kioji

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:55 pm
my parents have a problem with me being athiest, and r forcing me to take a christian counceling course during spring break, please help me convince my parents not to judge me by my religon or lack there of, i need a lot af help!!!
thanx,
rion

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 6:34 pm
Oh boy. Well, the easy route is to lie. You could say whatever you think you need to in order to get them off your back.

The hard route is to tell them that you're still young. You're on a spiritual journey right now, and what you need is understanding from them, not brain washing. You could then warn them that trying to force a belief on you will on ensure that you become worse than an Atheist, you'll become an Anti-theist, and grow to hate the very religion they forced upon you. But, if you pic the hard road, most important is to try to be civil, calm, honest, and logical. If you feel you need to, don't be afraid to write down all of your feelings on this matter, so that when you talk to them, you have written down exactly what you want to say, and if they loved you they would respect your descision and allow you to make your own choice in theology.

That's the best I can offer. I hope all goes well. Keep us informed. sad

Dathu

Newbie Noob

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:05 pm
Go there, but refuse to learn. Instead, try to convert some of the others. Man, that'll be a fun time!

But in all seriousness, I recommend the first part. Laugh in sermons, play Game Boy during them, etc. Show them that you really don't want to be there.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:17 pm
Well don't do that.

Just sit there and take it. Nothing more mature to do about it.  

Tenth Speed Writer

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:15 pm
If you do end up having to go, I'd make the most of it and be ready to ask questions. Talking with them isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you should at least try to reason with your parents so they don't keep trying to force more programs on you. o.x Maybe a compromise if nothing works would be leaving you alone to figure things out (like dathu said so eloquently, a 'spiritual journey' xD) if you agree to go to counseling once. That might be better than nothing if they are very persistent.  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 8:18 pm
c a u s t i c
If you do end up having to go, I'd make the most of it and be ready to ask questions. Talking with them isn't necessarily a bad thing, but you should at least try to reason with your parents so they don't keep trying to force more programs on you. o.x Maybe a compromise if nothing works would be leaving you alone to figure things out (like dathu said so eloquently, a 'spiritual journey' xD) if you agree to go to counseling once. That might be better than nothing if they are very persistent.

Aww, you called me eloquent. redface  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:27 pm
My friend, this is a tough decision. I'd offer my own advice, but figure I'd end up parroting the already great words shared with you.

Consider what will work best for you, your personality, your outlook and your approach to life.

If you are bold and brave and well-armed, then go in, guns a' blazin'.

But I'm of the impression that this place is made to tear down peoples' defenses and beliefs.

If you can avoid going, take the advice of your guild mates and do so. The compromise idea is good, but I'd personally do anything I could to avoid this place.

By the way, is there a website or way we could learn more about this indoctrination camp?  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:56 pm
Well I say go.
Sure you may be surrounded by people you're REALLY uncomfortable with but then again it could be a learning expericance.
Christians aren't bad people they just believe in weird things.
Maybe while your there you could recrute for us while there.

cup_noodles

Sanddru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:48 am
Just lie and say you are religious
then when you move out, tell them the truth

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 5:15 am
ProjectOmicron88
Go there, but refuse to learn. Instead, try to convert some of the others. Man, that'll be a fun time!

But in all seriousness, I recommend the first part. Laugh in sermons, play Game Boy during them, etc. Show them that you really don't want to be there.

That sounds the best to me. As long as you don't get in too much trouble, it's all in good fun.

You should gather a bunch of those christian teacher people and teach them about atheism. When they refuse to hear it say you feel the same way about christianity. Then walk away. biggrin
(Christian Camp 101)

Dark_lord_15

Redem

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 10:22 am
Easiest way is just to lie to them, and pretend to be a believer, just not a very religious one. Just do the least you can get away with to pull it off. maybe church once or twice.

If you do try to fight it... best to prepare for the worst. It seems the purpose of that place is to tear down non-christian beliefs. They will probably demand you answer questions that have no answer, or that you rationalise things that you are unprepared for. Try not to get on the defensive about being an atheist, "I don't know" is a perfectly acceptable answer, for things you don't know.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2007 2:22 pm
I quote the great Ronny James Dio when I say this:

"To escape your father's cluthes and this oppressive neighborhood on a journey you must go to find the land of Hollywood. In the city of fallen angels where the ocean meets the sand you will form a strong alliance and the world's most awesome band!"

I'm saying run away, go to California, and start a band. Don't worry about school. You're an athiest. You're the smartest religion in the world. You're already more intelligent that a lot of the people you'll meet. Now run away. Besides, if your parents can't except you for who you are then they aren't the kind of people you'd want to be around.  

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 7:22 pm
That sucks big time. I have two suggestions:

1: Flat out lie and pretend to be a believer whenever they are around (At least until it's too late for them to send you)

2: Go and try as hard as you can to ignore/avoid the brainwashing. Also, try to get yourself kicked out without getting arrested.

I would recommend option #1, and only use option #2 if everything else fails.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:05 pm
I kinda discourage the lying, and here's why: some (many) Christians believe (thanks to superstars like Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Christian Coalition, etc) that being an Atheist makes you an immoral, unethical, careless, selfish monster.

Your parents could say that you're lying to them and claim it's the first step down what my gramma calls "the primrose path to destruction."

Don't give them ammo against you. I live my life with transparency, honesty and a strong code of ethics (ethics, mind you - not morals. Morals are handed down pretend laws from fairy tale books, but ethics are common-sense Humanitarian tenets of behavior).

Here's another thought - gather up all the Atheists you know, ask them to come with you, and go "witness the good news" of Atheism to the churchers! biggrin  

Theophrastus

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2007 9:30 pm
Theophrastus
I kinda discourage the lying, and here's why: some (many) Christians believe (thanks to superstars like Pat Robertson, Jerry Falwell, Christian Coalition, etc) that being an Atheist makes you an immoral, unethical, careless, selfish monster.

Your parents could say that you're lying to them and claim it's the first step down what my gramma calls "the primrose path to destruction."

Don't give them ammo against you. I live my life with transparency, honesty and a strong code of ethics (ethics, mind you - not morals. Morals are handed down pretend laws from fairy tale books, but ethics are common-sense Humanitarian tenets of behavior).

Here's another thought - gather up all the Atheists you know, ask them to come with you, and go "witness the good news" of Atheism to the churchers! biggrin

Hmm.... guess I got caught up in trying to come up with a good way of getting out of it I must have forgotten to NOT give them ammo on why they think Atheists are bad. While we could "preach" Atheism, it would be just as bad as being Missionaries (Which I hate more than all other things in religion) and that would give them ammo to work with.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff