Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Sam Harris

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arios V

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 6:21 pm
I think everyone here in the guild should read both of Sam Harris' books, if you haven't already. Both make very good points about how badly religion is flawed and just how badly it's hurting society.

For all those who don't know Sam Harris is an award winning novelist and whose book: The End Of Faith: Religion, Terror, And The Future Of Reason was on top of the New York Times bestseller list and has received heavy praise. This book probes everything from how the Religious scripture makes little sense and points at the morality institutions and values of religion.

His second book, Letter To A Christian Nation is a short book (90 some odd pages) written in response to the harsh remarks made by who else but the Christians. In this book he looks at the Bible and explicitly states why the Bible is incorrect (And just as in End of Faith, actually has facts and stuff to back it up).

I repeat what I said earlier, I highly recommend reading these books  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:08 am
Yeah, they're in my queue.

Anyone that has garnered as much respect as him from Richard Dawkins obviously has my attention.  

Theophrastus

Arios V

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 12:06 pm
Theophrastus
Yeah, they're in my queue.

Anyone that has garnered as much respect as him from Richard Dawkins obviously has my attention.

I guess I shall look into Richard Dawkins as well  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 2:39 pm
I just realized I haven't read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Gotta pick that one up sometime too.  

ProjectOmicron88

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 11:58 pm
Philistine! XD

Yes, you both need to get that book. It's a wonderful starting point or a great addition to those who already know his work.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 6:07 am
Indeed, I read "Climbing Mount Improbable" before "The God Delusion", and he has certainly sparked off an interest in science and evolution in me, that was never there before. I was always very passive on the subject, but now I am as interested in science as I am in art and literature.

I've heard Dawkins mention Sam Harris so much that I can't believe I haven't aquired the books yet. I think I may pop into Waterstones tomorrow and pick one of them up.  

Sutasie

Arios V

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:27 pm
First chance I get I will look into Richard Dawkins.

Also, Richard Dawkins praised Sam Harris for "The End Of Faith"  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:46 pm
I added Letter To A Christian Nation to my Amazon wishlist. It looks like it will amuse me. 3nodding  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 10:55 pm
eek cry I have no money with which to purchase books. And my little sister won't pay her $14 fee on my library card... crying  
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:38 am
ProjectOmicron88
I just realized I haven't read The God Delusion by Richard Dawkins. Gotta pick that one up sometime too.
I'm reading it now. So far I'm finding it very insightful and am learning a few things too.  

_C r y s t a l_RB

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 7:56 pm
Both his books are wonderful & I highly recommend them, along with anything Daniel Dennet & Dawkins has done. They're the triforce of godlessness.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:29 pm
Meirelle
I added Letter To A Christian Nation to my Amazon wishlist. It looks like it will amuse me. 3nodding

It is a very good book as he basically tears Christianity apart.  

Arios V

Harvested Sorrow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:13 am
I own and have read both books (Letter... twice) and they're both excellent. I'm definitely a big fan of the guy even if we don't see eye-to-eye on drug related issues.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games