Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Plucked from today's headlines

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 12:11 pm
Browsing through Fark.com yielded this headline:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12082681/

I notice faith never really did much for the black plauge or polio, either. Nothing beats good medical science.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 5:38 pm
Yeah I remember reading about that in Rolling Stone Magazine a few months ago. Praying does nothing to heal patients. The study that was conducted actually determined that people who knew they were being prayed for actually had a higher chance of complications resulting from the surgery than those who weren't being prayed for.  

Arios V

_C r y s t a l_RB

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 7:33 pm
Richard Dawkins touches this topic in his book "The God Delusion." It's funny how the church will give excuses as to why those tests can't prove God exists, however if the evidence went the other way, they'd be backing up the study 100%. Hipocrites.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:12 pm
I think there's a video on YouTube by Richard Dawkins talking about the power delusion of prayer. (The Root of All Evil, I think)

cup_noodles

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 8:22 pm
I kinda feel better when people say that they've got you in their thoughts. But when they say that they're praying for something good to happen, it always makes me sick. Why not do something proactive to make this good happen? Such as spend time with a nonprofit organization, or donate money to a hospital or something.

And onto the article.

Thats really lame... Since their observations proved inconclusive, they say its because science isn't meant to study faith? Its not like they were really doing anything scientific (in my mind). They were just watching a few people after having set up a few things. I think you'd need to do a few more tests and add in another control group (one where they were told they're not being prayed for at all) to provide anything that might have grounding.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:44 pm
I don't know about you, but I actually feel honored when someone says that they're praying for me. It's a sign that they care enough to keep you in their thoughts.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2007 9:57 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
I don't know about you, but I actually feel honored when someone says that they're praying for me. It's a sign that they care enough to keep you in their thoughts.

Well...to me praying would be akin to saying "I don't think you have much of a chance so let me ask for the help of some diety to see you through this."

So if someone where to pray for me it would make me sick, because to me it is as though in a way they are giving up on me. Or...that is the way I think of it.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 1:57 am
My grandmother constantly tells me she's praying for me to see the right path or that I can come to God or whatever.

I can't really tell her to bugger off, cuz it's my gramma and that's how she has chosen to express concern.

I'd rather be lovingly prayed for than any kind of ignored.

Still, if someone who isn't senile and 85 says they're gonna pray for me, I usually tell 'em to go do a good deed in my name, instead.

A nice compromise and a chance for me to show them that me being an Atheist doesn't keep me from understanding good will.  

Theophrastus

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:53 am
Tenth Speed Writer

It's a fine gesture, I'll admit, because it's their way of showing they care. But for me, just "I'll keep you in my thoughts" is fine. Praying for me doesn't really mean anything to me.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:04 am
Nothing is as aggregious an attack on funds that may be directed toward worthwhile ventures (like curing the ******** sick!) like "studies" on intercessory prayer. And nothing perpetuates delusional ideas about the supernatural like them, either. It's an absolute travesty.

Last week, my Anthropology of religion course was split in half to debate the ethical nature of studies done on intercessory prayer. I single-handedly demolished the "pro" side. No mean feat, though, considering we're all scientists-in-training & I doubt anyone on the "pro" side took their arguments very seriously. Still, it was tres fun.

hachimitsugirl

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:48 pm
Tenth Speed Writer

It is a nice gesture and all, but it kinda makes me think that they're saying: "You're not gonna make it kid, better see if I can make the big guy upstairs let you in".

Personally, I like it when people say to me:

"Come on Kevin, you're tough, we believe in you and that you'll pull through." It makes me feel all good inside.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:51 pm
In the words of Bad Religion "don't pray on me".

That's very interesting that they set out to see whether it was true or not... but I think it would be very interesting to see it on Mythbusters. Wouldn't happen though.  

Ruminating Skeptic

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff