Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
90% Of America Believes In God Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:18 pm
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17879317/site/newsweek/

I knew that most of America did believe in God, but I never thought the number was that high. A recent poll conducted by NEWSWEEK showed that 9 out of every 10 American Adults believe in god have an identification with some form of organized religion.

Unsurprisingly, the majority of the people who believe in God, are Christians.
Here's the breakdown of the poll:

82% Christians
10% No Religion yet still believe in God
5% Islam & Judaism
3% Atheist

There is a plus sided though, and that is that society is generally being more tolerant to Atheists than in recent years and saying they can be both moral and an atheist at the same time. Though the poll did state that 62% of the population would not vote for/follow an Atheist if they were elected to a political office.

However, the absolute most shocking thing is that 48% of the whole population and 34% of college graduates denounce the Theory of Evolution and support wholeheartedly the Theory Of Creation. Personally, I think that Evolution makes a lot more sense than Creation/Intelligent Design.

Once again, it shows that society as a whole is steadily going down the crapper.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:21 pm
I'm not so much surprised about the percentage of theists since so many people who are non-denominational still believe in a God in some form, but I am surprised about the percentage that is Christian. But then it is a NEWSWEEK poll, which means that the most ferverent are likely to vote and the more apathetic (agnostics, non-denominationals, and plain old theists) are less liekly to vote, so I'd take that poll with grain of salt.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

Ruminating Skeptic

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:37 pm
Scary thought; I'm really hoping it's not that bad in Canada.

Good point, it's probably not that accurate. Unless they did really well in the unit in math where you learn about doing fair/accurate polls hehe...

Alright I know, bad joke *dodges kunai*

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:47 pm
I've officially lost all hope for this nation, no kidding.
Dathu made a good point, but it wouldn't do much good, most people are christians anyway. crying I feel sad.

Dark_lord_15

hachimitsugirl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 4:03 pm
Doesn't that just make you wanna bleed out into a bucket?
crying crying crying  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:53 pm
Dathu
I'm not so much surprised about the percentage of theists since so many people who are non-denominational still believe in a God in some form, but I am surprised about the percentage that is Christian. But then it is a NEWSWEEK poll, which means that the most ferverent are likely to vote and the more apathetic (agnostics, non-denominationals, and plain old theists) are less liekly to vote, so I'd take that poll with grain of salt.

True, you have to take it, but until someone more reliable conducts a better, more accurate poll, this is all we've really got for now  

Arios V

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:57 pm
Dark_lord_15
Dathu made a good point, but it wouldn't do much good, most people are christians anyway. crying I feel sad.

I've still got a small shred of hope for this country, however, I doubt it will remain any longer.

Also, maybe we should all go to Canada, The UK, Norway, Australia, Iceland, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium, Japan, The Netherlands or Denmark as they are the least religious developed countries in the world. Not to mention some of some of the healthiest.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:07 pm
Arios V
Also, maybe we should all go to Canada, The UK, Norway, Australia, Iceland, Sweden, Switzerland, Belgium, Japan, The Netherlands or Denmark as they are the least religious developed countries in the world. Not to mention some of some of the healthiest.

Obligatory: Come to Australia! xd

On second thoughts, don't come to Australia. Everything here is expensive.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 7:12 pm
The MoUsY spell-checker
Arios V

Obligatory: Come to Australia! xd

On second thoughts, don't come to Australia. Everything here is expensive.

How about I just visit for a week or two?

Also, how bad are taxes there?  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:55 pm
Dark_lord_15

I really don't care anymore...
I love America just as much as the next theist, but if it's going down the path of the Medevil ages.
Then, I'm leaving.

And after I leave the Christians can wait for their saviour to return onto their sacred land in peace.

cup_noodles

Arios V

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 9:11 pm
cup_noodles
Dark_lord_15

I love America just as much as the next theist, but if it's going down the path of the Medevil ages.
Then, I'm leaving.

And after I leave the Christians can wait for their saviour to return onto their sacred land in peace.

Same, I'll stay until the very last barriers between Church & State are gone and we become a Theocratic society.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:03 am
One of the biggest comforts of Atheism and being an evolutionist is that there is proof, incontrovertible proof that can be recreated and shown to testify to every thing we believe.

Opinion polls are crap and only used to sway people who believe things without checking them in 90% of situations.

There's an opinion poll to prove everything. Did they mention whether that poll was taken at a Christian College or a public school?

Was the district one that was predominantly Republican or Democratic?

What was the race ratio of interviewee?

I have more faith in this country electing an avowed Atheist than in an opinion poll.

However, this is not meant to discredit the original poster or even the poll. Damn well do I know places where the results of that poll would likely hold startlingly true, and I'm sad that they could be true anywhere.  

Theophrastus

Dark_lord_15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:56 pm
Arios V
cup_noodles
Dark_lord_15

Then, I'm leaving.

Same, I'll stay until the very last barriers between Church & State are gone and we become a Theocratic society.

I will stay until I can't stand it any longer. It seems this country is slowly becoming less and less free. Gay marrages gone (I'm not a f**, lesbian, gay, ect.), some people (like me) couldn't even hold office in their government because of beliefs, and if we are atheist, we can't even express ourselves unless we would like to loose all of our friends. ******** america as far as I'm concerned. ******** it.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:01 pm
Soon I fear the world shall regress to the Dark Ages and ignorance and fear will once again rule the world.

@Theo:

No poll is really ever going to mention the key demographics and such. Perhaps we should conduct our own poll, then publish our findings and list all the demographics.  

Arios V

Dark_lord_15

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 6:18 pm
Arios V
Soon I fear the world shall regress to the Dark Ages and ignorance and fear will once again rule the world.

@Theo:

No poll is really ever going to mention the key demographics and such. Perhaps we should conduct our own poll, then publish our findings and list all the demographics.

heart You are awesome! heart

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces