Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Back to Guilds

Gaia's official Graphic Design Guild for all things profiles, logos, graphics and much much more! 

Tags: Graphic, Design, Digital art, Photoshop, Profiles 

Reply The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild
Why graphic design? What would it do for you?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

miigiro

3,500 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Signature Look 250
  • First step to fame 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 4:44 pm
Most of you do not know, but as of now, I'm currently a shift supervisor at a restaurant. In fact, I just got that position not too long ago.

Today my big-big boss offered me manager position for the restaurant. I told him that I couldn't take it because I have other responsibilities; like my family, my son, and school.

He then asked me what I was majoring in, and I told him graphic design, visual communications.

I don't know why, but he must've really wanted me to take the position. He replied by saying "Graphic design? What good would that do for you?"

So, was he just trying to make me ditch my dream-job so that I could manage one of his dozen restaurants?

I replied by saying "What good will it do? Well, once I graduate, I'll find a job in the graphic design field. Then, I would be able to support my family, and I'd be enjoying my job as a graphic designer. That's my goal, and I'm not planning to get sidetracked or waste my efforts and become a full-time manager to this store. I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to become a full-time manager. It's too much responsibilities for what i have on my plate already."

Disappointed, big-big boss just looked away and said, "Well, if you change your mind, let me, or Carol (the current manager) know."

Well, it makes me mad. He has no respect for me or for my decision in wanting to concentrate on school. He doesn't care. All he cares about is finding someone suitable, and making sure that they'll manage one of his stores. So, he tries to manipulate me into thinking that my dream-job, graphic designing, won't get me anywhere, that managing his stores is the only way to go. *sigh* Just had to let you guys know, because I needed it to get off my shoulders. I was really mad, especially because of how he said it. Oh well. I'm not sure if you guys really know what I'm talking about, but it's okay.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:12 pm
I've never been offered a promotion at work, but you're pretty cool for standing up to what you really believe in. I know people that always talk negative about the design world, but a dream is a dream, and no matter what happens, you have to stand up on your own two feet and never back down.  

chocolat dreams

godoftherain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:41 am
People at resturants are like that.

i've known friends who have been refused promotions because they were going to college.

aka, "Hey want this job?"
"I have classes..."
"oh, sod off."

I think it's more the resturant than anything.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 1:59 pm
That's great that you stood up for what you believe in =)
That's so rude, him trying to steer you away from what you really want to do, just because he wants you to run a silly resturaunt...  

Matoda1393

3,750 Points
  • Hygienic 200
  • Cart Raider 100
  • Forum Dabbler 200

AceCordellis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:20 am
I wanted to become a graphic designer at one point, or an illustrator... But once I started illustrating and what not, it's just been consuming all of my willingness and fun in doing art.

What am I to do? Art is one of the things I excel at, and yet so... exhausting to do. It's like they're sucking the fun right outta me.  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:07 am
mrmrs_sukiher
Most of you do not know, but as of now, I'm currently a shift supervisor at a restaurant. In fact, I just got that position not too long ago.

Today my big-big boss offered me manager position for the restaurant. I told him that I couldn't take it because I have other responsibilities; like my family, my son, and school.

He then asked me what I was majoring in, and I told him graphic design, visual communications.

I don't know why, but he must've really wanted me to take the position. He replied by saying "Graphic design? What good would that do for you?"

So, was he just trying to make me ditch my dream-job so that I could manage one of his dozen restaurants?

I replied by saying "What good will it do? Well, once I graduate, I'll find a job in the graphic design field. Then, I would be able to support my family, and I'd be enjoying my job as a graphic designer. That's my goal, and I'm not planning to get sidetracked or waste my efforts and become a full-time manager to this store. I'm sorry, but I don't have the time to become a full-time manager. It's too much responsibilities for what i have on my plate already."

Disappointed, big-big boss just looked away and said, "Well, if you change your mind, let me, or Carol (the current manager) know."

Well, it makes me mad. He has no respect for me or for my decision in wanting to concentrate on school. He doesn't care. All he cares about is finding someone suitable, and making sure that they'll manage one of his stores. So, he tries to manipulate me into thinking that my dream-job, graphic designing, won't get me anywhere, that managing his stores is the only way to go. *sigh* Just had to let you guys know, because I needed it to get off my shoulders. I was really mad, especially because of how he said it. Oh well. I'm not sure if you guys really know what I'm talking about, but it's okay.
I don't know what the work relationship you have with your boss is, but if my own bosses had no respect for me they would never offer me a full-time managerial position, much less consider me becoming a part-time assistant manager. Your bosses awkward response to your major could be either a reflection of your bosses familiarity, or ignorance, with arts related career fields. And frankly, if he kept the offer on the table he may know something about the graphic design job market you don't know, so next time the subject pops up ask him about that. Regardless of that though, for now as you say it's what you want, you should continue with pursuing your degree and completing your education, but next time go on the offensive, find out what your boss knows before you jump to any conclusions about what he may, or may not think of you. It's never a smart move to burn your bridges in any business relationship.  

Goldenavatar

Katherdante

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:16 am
Graphic Design is like a visual language, its a honed skill most people do not possess and if you have a talent and drive for it you shouldn't give it up. I'm glad you stuck to your guns. In life you should find the nitche that makes you happy, otherwise it will get really hard to get up in the morning.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:37 am
I personally think your boss just spoke a bit from his thoughts without having the filter on. I wouldn't necessarily think ill of him over it. He probably sees the management position as a position with surefire earning potential, whereas he might think less so of graphic design. At the very least he didn't write you off, and left the offer open for if you happen to change your mind.  

Blaq Cat

blank_account_deleted_

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:42 pm
I know i wanted to become a graphic designer when i first saw the creative artwok on Deviantart.com

I wanted to know how they did it, what it took, and if there was a career in it. Lol ^^ Well after being in school for a bit and taking some classes i'm more focused on being in Web Design =3 Since i like creating art on the computer as well as making web pages ^^

Hopefully once i get my semester together i can switch to the Arts Institute and take the classes necessary so that i can get my degree and a great career =D  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 7:34 pm
If it's at all possible to take the position for a limited amount of time, it could be a really good thing for your resume. It could give you promotion potential between being a "Creative" to "Art Director" to being a CCO.

Just a thought... but yes, the way he talked about the field was pretty disrespectful. Unfortunately, few non-artists really know what graphic designers do. They don't really comprehend how much of a global, social, and political impact graphic design has on the world, and thus cannot appreciate it. Seems like evidence of a poor education more than anything else.

amosa

SPECTRAT

5,050 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Hygienic 200
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:17 am
Honestly, the dude was probably just mad that he's still working in a restaurant and that you don't want to join him in a career of full time misery. Restaurant employers can be like that haha.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 2:06 pm
Hey I just read what happen to you I know how you feel it happens to me.But it is quite different.Well here I will tell what happens to me is that well they tell me that I will die of hunger if I study graphic design everyone seems to have such negative comments about graphic design and any other tyoe of design or pretty much anything that has to do with art.I know how you feel is so annoying.For me is kinda different but it ends up been same as for you.All I want is for people .including my family and parents, i just want them to understand that is what i like and I just want a little support.Im still in high school but I am getting closer to that day for me to go to college and no one seems to support my dreams they areso negative about art and design itself well I dont know what Im gonna do.I wish you luck.I know how it feels so I gotta tell you to be strong and fight for what you believe in thats what I'm doing.Be strong! :cheers: for graphis design!!  

The Striped Cow

.+Destiny.Eclipsed+.

Friendly Shapeshifter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:36 pm
When I was getting ready to graduate high school and go into college, I told my grandpa that rather than taking me on some trip (he offered to take me wherever, and he'd taken my older brother and cousin to Costa Rica), to use the money he'd have spent for that to help me get through college. Never did get that. But I did get him to try cosigning a loan for me, since I had no credit and my parents was bad at best.

My aunt told him not to do it, figuring that his credit would end up ruined. That made me feel real nice. Funny part, he did try to cosign - but his credit already sucked, so it was rejected.

A friend (who I'm presently living with, a might go back to college with) ended up cosigning instead.  
The Gaian Graphic Designers Guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games