Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Oh, the Creativity!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:28 am
It's a fact of life. If you believe in something you might try to promote it. You could pass out fliers, hosts events, talk to people...and so on.

I think one of the things theists are famous for is propoganda on thier own part. Everyonce in a while you come across something interesting or creative.

Take the lady I passed on my way to class today. She had a portable CD player with religious music in it, had a pair of headphones on, and was singing on the top of her lungs as she passed people on the street praising "Jesus", and going on about "not loosing faith" as she sung along with her music. She is there at the bus stop all the time, from what a friend told me. Apparently she also annoys a lot of people with her caterwauling.

Then there are the Jehovah Witness's that go door to door obsessively. The only thing creative about that is the one who left a flier at our front door last Sunday. The flier was printed in Canada. It thought that was interesting. It was printed in Canada and distributed in America. Nice.

Then there was the one who you might have seen in the LLamas Sub-forum. Where they send all this stuff, and a paper hankerchief claiming that they can solve all your monetary problems through the word of god, and jesus.

Anyway, that got my thinking. What other creative ways have theists tried to promote thier religion? Does anyone else have any interesting stories to tell? What form of promotion annoys you the most? What form of promotion annoys you the least?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:39 am
Um... killing everyone who disagrees with them was a good one.
And um... giving out free food to starving people, all the while talking to them about it being the bounty of the lord, and how it was god that was feeding them, all the while presenting them with the vision of well fed healthy white people as an alternative to the poor starved black people.
Those are my favourites.  

Redem

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 7:48 pm
Nothing beats a good old-fashioned Praise Jesus bonfire with marshmallows, hot dogs, and oh, what's this? Heretics. Nice.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:32 pm
Concerts and other such events attract a lot of people. For example, RICE is a big event. (I think RICE is an acronym, but I don't remember what it stands for, and I can't find it on the site either.)

Last year, one of my non-Christian classmates went, and she said she felt kind of bad about going to it just for fun even if she's not Christian. I think the whole point of the event was to attract non-Christians and try to convert them.  

The MoUsY spell-checker

Redem

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 2:38 am
Semper Fiasco
Nothing beats a good old-fashioned Praise Jesus bonfire with marshmallows, hot dogs, and oh, what's this? Heretics. Nice.

Mmm barbecue.

I would so go to that!  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 5:21 am
Heh..

Come visit the elementary building at ACA. They use so many meaningless methods to drill in the God concept that it isn't even funny.

Also, I can tell you that real Christians those methods do not make. As zealous as they are, most of the students in my class couldn't really explain their faith to you if they tried. Now, I have absolutely no problem with people who've embraced the religion for their own reasons, but that sort of zeal with no understanding just exacerbates things when conflict breaks out.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Arios V

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:07 pm
I constantly find these little flyers that are just a little larger than index cards laying around different classrooms at school. For example, I'll use the most recent one I found.

On the front it says: "FEAR!" in big bold, slightly faded letters. Behind it is a picture of one of those sphere's in which you see people riding motorcycles in. Along the top it says "360 degrees of adrenaline, fury and....." in the same lettering as the others.

On the back it's got a whole bunch of information on the motocross thingy, then it starts to list a whole bunch of cool stuff, like skate ramps, free pizza, 5 XBOX 360's on 5 different projectors, Drawing's for $50 gift certificates to Best Buy. However, the list ends with the following: "The awesome words of God". Right then, I looked over at the other side and it says: "McLean Bible Church" and starts giving the date, time and all the junk about God and stuff.

They've been using these to try and bring (My friend went to one. He said it was more like a lure.) people to the Church so they can convert them or ridicule them for their beliefs, unless they are already a Christian.

Gotta hand it to them, they almost had me with their advertising.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 6:27 pm
Bumper stickers.

"CSI: *insert thumbprint with a very tiny cross in the middle* Christ Saves Individuals."

I see that one a lot. And wonder how long it took someone to think up something like that. *rolls eyes*  

PickleBoy

Dissnitive Blade

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 7:09 pm
Lets see, we have Christian music, food, games, bumper stickers, books, movies, camps, church.

An they say they are oppressed.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:00 am
murasame blade
Lets see, we have Christian music, food, games, bumper stickers, books, movies, camps, church.

I'd like half the folks that say that to go back and read Natasha Vins' Children of the Storm, and see if they still have the testicular/ovarian fortitude to complain that they're being oppressed in America.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 9:49 pm
Chick Tracts.

I used to have a drawer full of the little ********.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:11 pm
Arios V
I constantly find these little flyers that are just a little larger than index cards laying around different classrooms at school. For example, I'll use the most recent one I found.

On the front it says: "FEAR!" in big bold, slightly faded letters. Behind it is a picture of one of those sphere's in which you see people riding motorcycles in. Along the top it says "360 degrees of adrenaline, fury and....." in the same lettering as the others.

On the back it's got a whole bunch of information on the motocross thingy, then it starts to list a whole bunch of cool stuff, like skate ramps, free pizza, 5 XBOX 360's on 5 different projectors, Drawing's for $50 gift certificates to Best Buy. However, the list ends with the following: "The awesome words of God". Right then, I looked over at the other side and it says: "McLean Bible Church" and starts giving the date, time and all the junk about God and stuff.

They've been using these to try and bring (My friend went to one. He said it was more like a lure.) people to the Church so they can convert them or ridicule them for their beliefs, unless they are already a Christian.

I've seen something like that before. It actually irks me a little, because I don't like them luring people into places under false pretenses...such as "Come we have food!" and a person doesn't find out till they get there that it is a event to expose people to a certain religion.

Sanguvixen

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:13 pm
murasame blade

They arn't really oppressed. For a long time Christianity got everything that they wanted, and had the freedom to do what they please, when they please, and how they please. Well...they don't have that anymore...and so they view those restrictions as "Oppressing them."

At least that is the best I can make of it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:47 pm
Sanguvixen
Arios V

I've seen something like that before. It actually irks me a little, because I don't like them luring people into places under false pretenses...such as "Come we have food!" and a person doesn't find out till they get there that it is a event to expose people to a certain religion.

Yeah it irks me a little bit too.  

Arios V

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces