100%  [ 32 ]
Total Votes : 32

NikiPaprika

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:32 am
After reading a few threads, I just realised that Gold/Silver/Crystal run on batteries (?), and I know plenty of you will be wondering what sort of a retard I am, but I never look into the actual technical design of something. But anyways...

It's been quite a while now, but I remember when I tried to play my Pokemon Gold, it said my previous data was corrupt, so I started a new game. I saved my game, and went to play it later on, and again the data file was destroyed. This gets me so frustrated as I have had it for quite a while now (thank god I still have my dear Crystal) but when it came to my attention about batteries...

...is this a sign that I need a new battery to save my game? Or is my game well and truly....well...buggered? I know a lot of people will just tell me to buy a new one, but I go down to my fave game shop everyday and check out their retro case where they keep loads of older, pre-owned games. Sadly, for being a loyal customer to them for almost two years now, I still have not spotted Gold nor Silver, not even crystal. The only time they ever had both Gold and Silver was on a special offer, and my best friend bought them both. Afterwards, there has still been no sign (I guess they must be popular games that no one wants to give up in Scotland...o_o;; ).

If anyone can help me, please do and thank you. If otherwise, I will have to prepare myself for throwing my precious pokemon gold into the bin. gonk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:44 pm
I've yet to have my Gold, Silver, or Crystal die on me, but surely, the battery can be replaced...?  

[Philosophy In A Teacup]
Crew

Omnipresent Prophet

16,525 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Partygoer 500
  • Beta Gaian 0

CommanderAceRimmer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 2:35 pm
I don't know if you're anywhere near Edinburgh (Scotland's pretty big) , but there's a place called CEX that sells second-hand games (I work in a South England branch). I just looked at their website www.cex.co.uk and they don't have one in stock anywhere at the moment, but we often get stuff like that in. Sorry about your game - I hate it when that happens sad  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 2:28 pm
Gold and Silver are pretty much the living dead.
However, Crystal still works.

Silversan

Lady Fox

26,050 Points
  • Happy 13th, Gaia Online! 50
  • Candy Massacre 50
  • Unfortunate Abductee 175

Melody Hikari-Shinu Anson

Fluffy Bachelorette

10,250 Points
  • Married 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Perfect Attendance 400
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 3:07 pm
Silversan

If that's the case, then what's my RBY?

God?

@Niki: I'm not sure what to say about your Game Paks. I haven't had lost data on THOSE games yet (but I have lucked out by having only the last save be corrupt and the older save be okay... somehow...), but I'd say, try the new batteries, then try finding people who can attempt to fix the game, THEN throw the game into the used bin if all else fails.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:57 am
[Philosophy In A Teacup]
I've yet to have my Gold, Silver, or Crystal die on me, but surely, the battery can be replaced...?

Nope. My Gold died back in Sept 06 or so, and I took it Direct To Nintendo*, and was told that the game was essentially dead and the battery couldn't be swapped. They sold me another one on the replacement cheap, and warned me that this may happen again but they really don't have many of the games and I lucked out being able to REPLACE mine. A few months later, the same thng happened to my Silver, but the boy gave me his so I only have some tears.

In conclusion, if your game will no longer save, you will need a NEW GAME. Happy hunting, Hiawatha.

* I live a five minute drive from the Redmond repair center.  

Nethilia
Captain

Liberal Member

3,450 Points
  • Elocutionist 200
  • Person of Interest 200

NikiPaprika

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:05 pm
CommanderAceRimmer
I don't know if you're anywhere near Edinburgh (Scotland's pretty big) , but there's a place called CEX that sells second-hand games (I work in a South England branch). I just looked at their website www.cex.co.uk and they don't have one in stock anywhere at the moment, but we often get stuff like that in. Sorry about your game - I hate it when that happens sad

Yeah, I live in Kirkcaldy, which is less or just about a 45 minute drive to Edinburgh. I might check that out, thank you! 3nodding

And yeah, I hate it too. gonk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:06 pm
[Philosophy In A Teacup]

yeah...but I don't know if the whole corrupt data thing has anything to do with the battery...

hrm... confused

NikiPaprika

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

NikiPaprika

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:08 pm
Melody Hikari-Shinu Anson
Silversan

If that's the case, then what's my RBY?

God?

@Niki: I'm not sure what to say about your Game Paks. I haven't had lost data on THOSE games yet (but I have lucked out by having only the last save be corrupt and the older save be okay... somehow...), but I'd say, try the new batteries, then try finding people who can attempt to fix the game, THEN throw the game into the used bin if all else fails.

FYI: RBY game paks don't run on batteries. they run on save...erm...I forgotten the name. n_n;; but y'know what I mean, they don't run on the batteries unlike gold.

but yesh, that sounds like a good plan. x3

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:14 pm
Nethilia
[Philosophy In A Teacup]

Nope. My Gold died back in Sept 06 or so, and I took it Direct To Nintendo*, and was told that the game was essentially dead and the battery couldn't be swapped. They sold me another one on the replacement cheap, and warned me that this may happen again but they really don't have many of the games and I lucked out being able to REPLACE mine. A few months later, the same thng happened to my Silver, but the boy gave me his so I only have some tears.

In conclusion, if your game will no longer save, you will need a NEW GAME. Happy hunting, Hiawatha.

* I live a five minute drive from the Redmond repair center.

Ah...-sniffles- cry

I'm going to miss my poor dear gold. crying

mind you, just the other day i used it to trade a totodile and a chikorita over to my crystal. sweatdrop I suppose in the future I'll just have to beg and plead my best friend to trade with her. but ah wells...

but thank you so much for sharing the truth with me. xD

NikiPaprika

2,650 Points
  • Gaian 50
  • Member 100
  • Dressed Up 200

FullMetalBananaStickers

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:55 pm
I'm so scared of that...

That sucks. GSC were the best games. And we'll never be able to play them when we're old and saggy because they'll all be dead... emo

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:18 pm
The game does run on batteries, and they can be replaced. According to the boards at GameFAQs (http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/genmessage.php?board=198308&topic=2918564 cool
the battery can be taken out and manually replaced. The text regarding the battery has been copied and pasted here.

Though I have heard that it is really hard to find a new battery. I found a Pokemon Gold game on eBay that claimed to have the battery replaced. It said it was saved at New Bark Town after you get your first Pokemon.

"Why won't my game save?
Why isn't my game clock keeping time correctly?
Problems like this are common lately for people who have played a lot, because these games use their internal batteries to save data. Like any other battery, they run out of power over time. Eventually, you won't be able to save your game anymore.

Unfortunately, your options are rather limited. You can either buy a new copy or get the battery replaced. Try taking your game to a local electronics store to see if they will replace the battery for you, but be aware that any saved data you do have will be lost when you do this. You could also try replacing the internal battery by yourself, but it is not recommended.

If you are adventurous enough to try and replace your battery, then please follow this handy little guide. Be warned though, neither GameFAQs, myself or the guide's author are responsible for any injury or damage done to you or the game pack! "

"Well, I was bored this morning and thought: "I haven't played Pokemon Gold in a while." So I dug it out from under my bed, plugged it in to my GB and turned it on. Hmm no save file that's odd, oh well, I was gonna start a new game anyway. After awhile I save and quit so I can take a break. A little bit later I turn my gameboy back on. No save file!! I try a few times on both Gold and Silver. Same thing. So I search Google to see what my problem is. I find out that my internal battery has died!

But there is no way to fix it? Every site I go to says that my game is ruined, all I can do is buy a new one or send it off to Nintendo for repair!......wait a minute....Nintendo can repair it? I'm just as good if not better at fixing stuff than Nintendo, I bet I can fix it! And I did! Now you can too!

Things you need:

-Pokemon G/S

-New battery: CR2025 or DL2025

-really small needle nose pliers

-soldering iron/solder

-electrical tape

Ok here we go, I didn't know how to get images to work so just copy and paste the url's to your address bar.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/drdna/tools.jpg

First you have to take your cartrige apart. It only has one screw but it has a weird head. I used really small needle nose pliers to take it out.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/drdna/takeapart.jpg

Ok now that we have it apart lets take a look. There's the battery, notice how it has a yellow lining around the edge? Also take note on how the positive side is face down, we don't want to put the new battery in backwards. It's soldered to metal tabs on the top and bottom too. To get it out, I pulled on the tab firmly but gentle not to damage anything. It's a little difficult because you have to break the solder. You have to do this to the top and bottom.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/drdna/removebattery.jpg

Ok, now the old dead battery is gone! Take a break and plug in your soldering iron.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/drdna/batterygone.jpg

And here's our new battery.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/drdna/newbattery.jpg

I wrapped a small strip of electrical tape around the edge of the battery to imitate the yellow band. It prevents the battery from touching other parts in the cartridge.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/drdna/battery.jpg

Now this was my first time soldering anything, but I think it turned out alright, and hey...it works! Now remember, postive side face down against the board! Solder the tabs on both sides and voila!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/drdna/soldered.jpg

Put the board back in the cartridge. Careful, it's a pretty tight fit if you have no soldering skills like me. Put the screw back in the back of the cartridge, and enjoy! I don't know how long it will last, hopefully a couple years like the original battery. So far mine still works but it's only been a couple of hours. Well enjoy"  

manilow

Vickicat

Shy Poster

13,115 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Hygienic 200
  • Cart Raider 100
PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 10:30 pm
Does this battery thing happen to every game? x_x And is there anywhere you can save your Pokémon before such a thing happens? Does Pokémon Box work for that generation?  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 7:12 am
I hate that. My brothers gold died a few years ago, but my silver still lives. We got our games at the same time. So, meh, I guess I'm lucky.  

Tanukigao

Bashful Shapeshifter

6,750 Points
  • Happy Birthday! 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Bunny Spotter 50

LyraDestiny

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:16 pm
A way I got told a few months back is to put it in your SP, which you need to put on charge, then start a new game. Save, then leave it on, charging. Go back a day later and your battery will be all working again =)  
The Archives: Lo, for the Days of Pokémon Past

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff