Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Emo Guild

Back to Guilds

What do you think genius? Its a guild for emo's. 

Reply Fashion Advice
EMO FASHION ((updated!!)) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

[deathrose]

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:18 am
Heres a few things i collected

Emo is a somewhat ambiguous, controversial slang term most frequently used to describe a fashion or subculture which is usually defined to have roots in punk fashion and subculture, as well as some attributes of gothic fashion and subculture..

How to Dress Emo for Girls
This is a short guide on how to dress "emo". For the most part, it's fairly simple and straight-forward. "Dressing" emo, does not "make" you emo. There is a difference.

Steps
Get a hair style that is short and dyed black or some other dark color.
Get horn-rimmed glasses (thick black frames), with or without lenses. If you don't wear perscription glasses, you can take out the lenses, or get no-perscription lenses put in.
Wear skin tight clothes. You have various options, black/dark skinny jeans, work great with white studded belts and an emo band shirt, or even a plain black shirt.Tight Fullbleed shirts usually work as well. If you don't like jeans, you may substitute a short skirt as well.
Get a plain black messenger bag or backpack instead of a purse - decorate the bag with pins and/or patches from Hot Topic and optionally various white-out pen designs.
Wear black eyeliner
Consider buying a pair of Converse Chuck Taylor shoes, or any other similar "low top" shoes - you can decorate your shoes with white out pen/permanent marker if you want.
Congratulations, you are emo-dressed.

Warnings
· People may beat you up, shout insults, or perform other hateful actions on you for dressing "emo."
· Don't try too hard or you will look like a "poser" to the "scene kids." They hate posers.

Things You'll Need
· eyeliner
· long pants/short skirt
· band shirt or other black shirt
· Converse or other alternative "low-top" shoes
· black messenger bag
· patches and/or pins from Hot Topic
· white out pen and/or black Sharpie (permanent marker)
· plastic eye glasses, with or without lenses

[What is emo?] I can't explain this in my own words so I will just paste information taken from other web sites:

Emo is a type of music. Short for emotional. However, a lot of people have taken it beyond the music and turned it into a way to dress. A lot of old school scenesters (ha ha) get really pissed off at this new "wave" of people that have jumped on the bandwagon and are dressing this way. Eventually the trend will die out but it currently is having its 15 minutes. More info can be found here.

[How to dress emo] This varies depending on where you live and if you are going for the indie emo look, the nerdy emo look or the dressy emo look. I shall go over all 3 from head to toe.

The indie emo look - (best for girls and guys 16-20)

Dyed-black short hair with bangs short and cut straight across the forehead. Spikey in the back, slightly greasy. Really light blonde hair on girls often works too. Piercings. The more the better. Jewelry. The more the better. Beads, etc. Horn-rim/thick black frames/cat eye glasses (this works for all three types). Tight, fadded shirts with random slogans. It should look like it could have been bought at a thrift store but you didn't (but you really did). It takes a while to master that one. Dark denim jean jackets. Messenger bag covered in patches and pins (that you actually bought at shows). Tight pants, sometimes cuffed once or twice but never more! Black or blue converse shoes.

The nerdy emo look - (best for girls under 17 and guys over 21)

Short hair. Style it messy, but not spikey. Horn-rim/thick black frames/cat eye glasses (this works for all three types). Thin, tight, solid dark color v-neck sweaters. I call them Grandpa sweaters. Band shirts. Messenger bag covered in patches and pins (that you bought at Hot Topic but you tell everyone you got them at shows). Dickies work pants. Blue, black or grey only! Argyle socks. Black converse shoes.

The dressy emo look - (best for girls and guys over 20)

Black or brown hair. Flipped out on girls, mop top on guys. Horn-rim/thick black frames/cat eye glasses (this works for all three types). A silver necklace with a star charm. Scarves. A black or navy blue pea coat. Black messenger bag. No patches, 1 or 2 pins at the most (and only at the bottom of the strap). Heavy dress slacks. Doc Martens or clunky black shoes.

If you still are a bit clueless, take a look at these. Or this. Another thing you need to be emo can be found here.

Also, to be emo you have to be really skinny. Why do you think so many of them are vegans. If you are not skinny, you have to lose weight before you can officially be emo. How many emo girls do you see walking around with a big tank a**? That's what I thought.

[How to act emo] Now that you know how to dress the part, you must know how to act the part. This is, in my opinion, the most important step of all! Follow my directions closly, because we all know nothing is worse than a poseur and nothing is better than getting scene points!

Before you worry about how you are going to change how you act in "real life", you must change your "internet life" first. Erase your PunkPrincess182 screen name and change it to something a bit sadder. Such as xsadxstarx. If you need help, a handy emo screen name generator can be found here.

With your emo screen name in place, you must type emo. Example:

this.is.an.example.of.typing.emo..this.kind.is.mostly.used.on.websites. &we cant forget about this kind. &********. tYpInG LiKe ThIs iS nOt TyPiNg eMo. That's just typing retarded.

Then, put your new typing skills to use by having conversations with other random emo people you've met online. Where do I meet them online you ask? At make out club! But now moc clones are popping up all over the place. We also recommend: lipstick and cigarettes, lipstick party, mad rad hair, not popular and there are probably more we are leaving out. Let us know of any new ones. Anyway, at those sites you will find hundreds of guys and girls showing off their photography skills and name dropping talent. Another good place for meeting other emo people is at different emo bands message boards. Watch out for the poseurs though!

On the message boards, make a name for yourself. Become a "regular". Be sure to tell all the people that list the bands they like that they are not emo enough and that they should go away until they get some real taste in music! If they ask what you like, refuse to tell them. Give them a reason like "you are not worthy enough to step into my music world". Or anything similar.

Now lets change how you act in real life. First, you must go to as many shows as you can! I can not stress that enough. Whether you like the band or not. If you like the band, then you can enjoy it and get scene points! If you don't like the band, you can stand there bitching about how much the band sucks. Then people will come up to you and ask why. You can then talk about how the bands you listen to have so much more talent. Then you get to name drop! Now the fun begins because you can make up band names. However, they should still be very emo so you sound like you know what you are talking about, even though you don't. Go here for some ideas.

[Emo tips] Now that you are emo, I have a few more tips for you: Talk constantly to your non-emo friends about being emo. Each time they ask you what it is, say something different. Make it sound all mysterious and secretive. Try and share your emo music with as many people as you can. Get really angry when they don't like it. Get really mad when they do like it and try to share it with other people. Like meat? Well stop. Being a vegitarian or a vegan is one of the most important requirements of being emo. Find out more here. When eating M&M's, only eat the red ones. Start a livejournal, deadjournal or a diaryland diary. Write in it about all the shows you have gone to and how they have changed your life. Lie if necessary. Be sure and put the song you were listening to at the end of each entry and occasionally post some poems. Remember: the fad of anti-fad. Buy a digital camera and take lots of pictures of yourself. Turn your head as you take them so only your ear or eye or part of your hair shows. Then open them up in photo shop and blur them even more. It makes them look artistic. Taking photos of random objects in black and white also looks artistic. Once you've done that, you can consider yourself an art student. Expect hardcore and straight edge kids to make fun of you. Tell them "your scene is dead!" and run away like the little wuss you are. Join a band or make a new one. You'll suck, but at least you can tell people about it and it might help you get that cute emo girl's e-mail address. Go here for the emo band name rule book. Or if you're really lazy you can use the The Emo Band Name Generator. Another one is here. Find out exactly how emo you are. Or find out your emo mood.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 1:23 am
....Is this parody, actual advice fused with comedy, or are you being serious, I honest to gods can't tell which. D:

Though I'm guessing the fashion part is serious, the lifestyle part is more for comedy playing on annoying habits, some emo's have.

And I'd like to point out, its not 'emotional' its 'emotive'... 'emotive hardcore' the difference beings emotional implies inward and self directed emotional release, where as emotive is making it plainly public what you feel. See kids, there is a difference between the two. biggrin  

Rellik San
Captain

Art Payment

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:31 am
Sarcasm?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 6:40 pm
are you serious?
becuase if you are it's still funny.  

Ceysa

Otaku x3

nuGen Staff Noob

800 Points
  • The Committee Staff 25
  • nuGen Staff 25
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2007 2:02 pm
That's just too funny.  
PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:19 pm
Is this serious?... Are you sure that everyone in the guild are emos because some people laught of them...  

Kobalt93

Tokyo Pocky

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 7:43 am
You forgot many various things and what's the point of this thread? Everyone no matter who we are have different styles.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:04 pm
Let me guess, Wikihow.com  

x-Compact Disco-x

HarajukuxBoy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 8:44 am
Emo isn't a fashion.Does that make you a poser?Maybe...  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:10 am
Emo. I've been emo, from my brother, for about 3 months now, maybe longer. I have a book (loser) that explains all this crap about the emo culture. It's called Everybody Hurts: An Essential Guide To Emo Culture. It explains ideology, fashion, internet, film, literature, music, eating habits, television, and adulthood. It is 235 pages long. I am on page 55. I think it is a very good book and a good starter for emo's. I got it/ heard about from one of my emo friends. I read through. It does have humor, or at least i think it does. I would give it an A.

P.S. I got it from borders.  

dubud

-Isel-

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 2:52 pm
akdrummer
Emo. I've been emo, from my brother, for about 3 months now, maybe longer. I have a book (loser) that explains all this crap about the emo culture. It's called Everybody Hurts: An Essential Guide To Emo Culture. It explains ideology, fashion, internet, film, literature, music, eating habits, television, and adulthood. It is 235 pages long. I am on page 55. I think it is a very good book and a good starter for emo's. I got it/ heard about from one of my emo friends. I read through. It does have humor, or at least i think it does. I would give it an A.

P.S. I got it from borders.

I read an excerpt published in AP Magazine

it's a joke. It looks like a joke. It tells you how to be a vacuous scene kid. It stereotypes other musical subcultures and tries to make them look like "the enemy".

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:24 am
Oh,boo.
I cant dye my hair black... crying
I get BLOOD RED instead^^
Your funny.
But,I now have somewhat of a disslike for you.
Have a nice day.  

KeEp-My-CaSkEt-ClOsEd !

Nuggins

5,400 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Invisibility 100
  • Hygienic 200
PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:49 pm
...noob...  
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 12:12 am
ZOMG!

but all this time
i've been dressing like that.
not even noticing it was in 'emo' fashun.
x000 awesome

f u s h i - s u s h i

Eri Luvs You
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:40 am
LEIK OMG I DRESS EMO EVEN THOUGH I HATE TO ADMIT IT REALLY IS JUST A GENRE OF MUSIC.  
Fashion Advice

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff