Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Pigs Are Walking!

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cirosan

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 8:37 pm
For those of you who have studied your world history, you'll remember that in early days, Christians were heavily discriminated against by other groups. Constantly subjected to intolerance and bigotry, they struggled to find acceptance in this harsh world.

Now, Christians are among the world's most dominant powers. Following in humanity's footsteps, they now oppress other groups. The oppressed have become the oppressors.

If you've read my earlier post in the "90% of America Believes in God" thread, you'll know about my prediction of religion taking a nosedive and Atheism rising to a dominant world power.

My question to you is this: Assuming my prediction is correct, will Atheists do the same as those before them by discriminating against other groups, or are we beyond that? Will we as the oppressed become the oppressors in the near future?  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2007 10:06 pm
It's tempting to reference that infamous South Park story arc concerning Atheism, but I won't get into that.

Instead I'll just say yes. Yes they will.

There are good people who are Christians. There are shitty people who are Christians.

Same goes for Atheists and anyone else you can name. Bad Atheists will get power as often if not more than good ones and abuse it. But that's not a religious condition, just one of the pack alpha mentality.  

Theophrastus

Redem

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 3:15 am
I think the thing is that for the most part atheists don't seem to care about religion until they feel it is trying to step on their toes. We have no direct motivation to go out and spread the good word, or anything like that.

So, no, I don't think it would become a major problem.

Then again, there are assholes everywhere.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 4:36 am
Will they?

I don't care to keep pushing this book, but go and Natasha Vins' 'Children of the Storm'.

It's a first hand look at the Soviet Union, and a perfect answer to your question.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 12:20 pm
Those who have power seek to use it. Those who gain power eventually forget the struggle against thier oppressors and thus become what they fought so hard against.

Really though there is no system of beliefs around Atheism...just the singluar idea that there exist no gods/deities/higher powers. Atheism isn't like religion, and it doesn't behave like religion. I don't think they would raise to become oppressors...but scientists who follow Athiesm might raise to oppress those who believe in things for which there is no concievable proofs.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 1:35 pm
no way, dude us atheists rock we are original and have been around about as long as christianity  

flame skulls

PickleBoy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:23 pm
Yeah. But only because its human nature to oppress and be oppressed. I don't think there has ever been any homo-(enter suffix of choice here) that hasn't had some kind of oppression. Homosapiens fight over land and religion. Homo-erectus probably fought over land and food sources. Neandethals and homo-erectus were said to have fought over their physical differences. (Its also said that europeans have Neanderthal blood in them. Hee. Monkeys... whee ) So all in all, Atheists, or those who practise atheism will become th oppressors if they gain enough power.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:19 pm
flame skulls
no way, dude us atheists rock we are original and have been around about as long as christianity

...lulz.

I'm sorry, but that's just... immature.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 6:36 pm
As long as there are easily manipulable people, there will always be a special interest group at the top trying to exploit them.

That said, there are good atheists and bad atheists, just as there are good Christians and bad Christians. Whether the "oppressed become the oppressors" depends on the atheist or group of atheists in charge. Obviously, a small group of atheist leaders won't represent the views of all atheists everywhere.

I certainly don't speak for all atheists. But I don't think that many atheists, if put in power, would feel the need to oppress the free practice of religion. Of course, some Christians might feel a bit oppressed if they were suddenly rendered unable to subjugate minorities and push their views into federal legislation. So if a group of atheists were running things, I'd say the spread of Christian propaganda would escalate tremendously. Unless, of course, they are truly oppressed and forbidden to exercise free expression of their opinions. (And whether or not their religion is a direct result of their own opinions is highly debatable. lol )

Then again, as I said, it all depends on the individual personalities and political beliefs of the ones in charge; there are some tolerant Christians and some dogmatic atheists. Personally, I don't think atheists have much of a reason to oppress religion. But that doesn't mean it can't happen.

Oh, and as for this...

flame skulls

... Not a day over 12, are you? lol  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:24 pm
Since power tends to corrupt in the wrong hands I'd say yes. Inevitably someone with the wrong hands will want to do something with not quite the right idea and then atheists will seem just as bad.

I don't know how this world could function without religion. It's almost like functioning with government. It's like people need someone constantly telling them what to do. Anarchy would work if we were all intelligent, resourceful, and properly-willed. However we are not all so. Several people are just plain stupid.

Now I do blame religion for that. One of the first lessons that white-light religion will teach you is that ignorance is bliss. If the first thing we taught our children was to be intelligent and to value better judgment, we might be able to make a majority of atheism work.

It's a start. Keep it in mind.

It's just that with religion there is comfort in god. That's why third world countries believe so deeply even when they are at the ends of their ropes. I guess another thing to solve would be the problems of the world. Then we could all be atheistic.

No small task.  

cabbage3

Friendly Explorer

6,100 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Grunny Grabber 50
  • Battle: Mage 100

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 5:42 pm
I don't think atheists are trying to oppress others like the christians did. Most atheists just keep their opinion to themselves or among other atheists. I don't think we're trying to disprove god's existence, or trying to convince others. we just don't believe in god.

but i must say, as things seems to be led to this way, that the atheist group in the world is growing. i know that there are less and less people going to churches nowadays. maybe not everyone, but the numbers of faithful religion followers are decreasing.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:35 am
As far as I know, we atheists arn't being decapitated, burned, or crusified (SP?) like the Christians were. So I don't think we'll end up as main stream as they did.  

God of lunchboxes

Redem

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:36 pm
Shedra Helix
As far as I know, we atheists arn't being decapitated, burned, or crusified (SP?) like the Christians were. So I don't think we'll end up as main stream as they did.

We aren't, but neither are they.

They were, and so were we, mostly at their hands, and the hands of other abrahamic religions.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:50 pm
Yes.

There will be good Atheists, just like there are good Christians, who respect other's beliefs.

But there are always those who discriminate.  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items