Reply English Discussion
Salvete (Introductions)

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

In media res

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 10:41 pm
We are all here for the same reason, to practise our latin! Until we decide to leave this guild (May the gods forbid) we will be on a journey of learning conversational latin and perfecting our grammar-together!
This is why I feel it is important for us to have introductions! 3nodding
Some of us know eachother already, and some of us do not. Let us not be shy for we already have much in common.

My name is Amanda, I am a second year university Classics major in the art and archaeology thread. Thus, I have subjected myself to four tortorous- yet exciting, years of Latin!

Who are you my new friends, what draws you to the Latin language,
and where are you in your latin studies?

I hope as a guild we become a great place to chat about our love for the language and support eachother in our learning!

Valete amici amicaeque! Odi et amo latinum lingum!~
-Amanda  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:28 pm
Hi! My name is Brighid. I attend a classically based highschool, so I didn't have much choice in the matter- Latin or Ancient Greek, and, I'm ashamed to say, I took Latin because it was easier, thinking that after I finished with the two year requirement I'd be done with the useless language forever. But somewhere between getting my first good Latin teacher (halfway through the first year- the first one I had talked all lesson about whether a hoplite or a jedi would win in a deathmatch) and now (my second year), I've developed a real love of the way the language sounds, and for Latin poetry ( heart Catullus).

Next year, I intend to drop Latin and take Mandarin Chinese (which I'm precisely because it is nothing like anything I've ever learned before), then drop out of my second term of Biology to continue Latin again. Meanwhile, I'll just have to read Latin on my own to keep up my skills, which I hope this guild will also help me to do. I also speak English, basic Esperanto (though my vocabulary leaves a bit to be desired), and am sort of casually learning American Sign Language on the side, just for the heck of it, though I'm going really pretty incredibly slowly.  

Mirithorn
Captain

gliffy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:37 pm
Hello, I'm Gliffy. I'm almost done with my first year of Latin in school but we haven't even gotten halfway through the first year book so I'm still pretty far from knowing enough to not half to use a dictionary for every other word. I'm taking Latin because I've always been fasinated by different languages and I thought it would be good to start with Latin.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 4:08 pm
Well, hopefully I can get this language right at least. xd

My name is Cindy, and I am technically in AP Latin Literature next year. But, I know less than a Latin I student, as my teacher is rather lazy and easy. I guess I know some random things of higher levels, like dependent clauses and such, but I'm really trying to get more comfortable with the language that it doesn't take me 20 minutes to attempt to write a sentence in Latin. For some reason, he's had us translate Caesar's "War on Gaul" through the first 6 chapters, which was very frustrating and another wake-up call for how little I know.

I really enjoy the language, the structure behind it, and things like that, though in all honesty I doubt I will take it in college. In the meantime, I'm going to be a high school junior, so I have 2 years left to take it.

Oh, and I don't really know any vocabulary, and am looking to stop relying on online dictionaries, too.... sweatdrop  

darkphoenix1247

The AT Puzzler

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 3:02 pm
Hey, my name is Cleopatra.
Or, at least, that is my name when I'm on the computer or in my Latin class.
I just finished my first of Latin, in High School. And I intend on taking Latin 2 and 3 next year in my tenth grade year.
I am fond of the Latin language, and I am hoping that with individual study (and this guild) I may be able to fluently(sp?) speak said language.
I was drawn to the language because I had the choice of Latin or Spanish, and I chose the lesser known language. rofl  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:25 pm
Salve, my name is Noble. I'll be starting my second year of Latin at the start of next year. I hope that I will be able to stay somewhat active in this guild- I've been tempted to leave Gaia in general lately.
What drew me to it was just the fact that it's less common. I was able to choose between French, Spanish and Latin. I figured Spanish would be full of students wanting an easy class [plus I had a few classes before and didn't enjoy it], and I've never quite liked how French sounds.
And- I suppose that's about it.  

NobleCrouton

Hermonie Urameshi

Conservative Explorer

6,550 Points
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Alchemy Level 1 100
  • Guildmember 100
PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:23 pm
Hullo! I go by Herumouni most of the time. I absolutely love foreign languages and am learning several right now.

I am trying to read Harrius Potter 1. So I can practise Latin, 2. my brother and dad keep pestering me to read the seventh book, but I don't remember much from the other six (especially the sixth domokun ). I need to try to understand it. Anyone know of some way to keep a notebook or something for everything I learn or something?

English Discussion

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games