Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Buddism

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 12:07 pm
What do you think about Buddism the original one that was once in India.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:05 pm
I haven't studied much of the original. I'm assuming it was really close to other newly sprung vedic religions at the time.

I do remember, though, about this guy I learned about in my world architecture class. His name was Asoka. The legend goes he was a ruthless warmongering ruler, and then one day he looked around and said, "What have I done?" And then he started down the path of Buddhism and became a great, peaceful ruler. I found the story pretty awesome. I don't know why.

Also, I admire the guy from an artistic point of view. He had thousands of Buddhist monuments built, including the Great Stupa at Sanchi.

This is one of the many things I find fascinating about Buddhism. You can read more about Asoka here.

sweatdrop So that's what I think.  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Super Perfundo

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2007 8:08 pm
I used to be Buddhist. It's not a religion. That much I know. It's about giving up material things and finding enlightenment and whatnot. Kind of fruity.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 8:54 am
You mean emporer Ashoka? I suppose it depends on the translation of how you spell it sweatdrop

Buddhism isn't really a religion, as there isn't a god. Although some followers of the mahayana tradition believe the bodhisattvas (those who have been englightened and died) reside in celestial realms as sort of guides. But it depends a lot on the type of buddhism.

It was set up by the buddha as a reaction against the brahminical religions, and the unjustness of the caste system etc. Basically, the idea was that you could achieve enlightenment in this life rather than wait for some sort of salvation when dead.

I study buddhism for AS level philosophy, if you want to ask me any more about it, it might count as revision seeing as though I have an exam on a module on it in june xD

Muaethia

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 6:06 pm
I know it's not a religion its more like a way of thought or concesness.  
PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:11 pm
I checked Buddhism out. It's more of a self-help program than anything. Yes, it requires you go to church and pay respects to the Buddha, but really, I think that's a small price to pay for a religion that places emphasis on bettering oneself as a person.  

ProjectOmicron88

Peace Love And Skate

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 2:36 pm
Buddha did mention heavenly beings, but denounced any ideas of trying to find god, because it was impossible.
His methods of self-help are amazing, and inspiring, to me.
If it's a religion, it's not your typical one.  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:51 pm
I would just like to interject something for us all to laugh at --

My crazy substitute teacher for PE is a buddhist and my redneck classmates were questioning him about it. They all got very upset that he "worshiped some statue" and "believed in some fat guy". These guys whom I know get drunk and have sex nearly every weekend got all defensive and started going on and on about how God is the only god and everything. It was horrible to watch.  

Super Perfundo

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:27 am
Think I may have been looking at a diffrent version. But Budda said that there is no god but we have the potential to become god like. Also I don't think budda would have liked it that he is being worshiped because it would undermine alot of truth when you do. Just an interpretation of what i've read about him.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games