Reply Atalantë - A new beginning
Christopher Paolini Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:45 am
Most of you have probably heard of this man. Christopher Paolini, author of the Inheritance Trilogy. Believe it or not, I've met LotR fans who like Paolini's books (which barely warrant the name - usually, I refer to them as dishrags), despite them being largely plagiarised, or at least, intellectual theft.

What are your opinions of this man? A literary genius (*cougheyou'redeludedcough*) or a foul, vile, disgusting creature who deserves to be poked and prodded until he begs for mercy?  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:08 am
I couldn't really say I have not read any of his books. I'll have a look at it later and "report back". However I did like the Eragon tril. (books not movies which were absolutely horrible, second book not so much first...and still subject to change depending on how the third book goes) so ....my judgement may not be too good...

[edit] Hahaha, I wondered why that name sounded so familiar, he's def. not a literary genius, but for his age he's not bad...lots of potential. As long as he doesn't slack off under all the pressure, you never know. ATM I think its reasonable to say he should be poked and prodded, but he is certainly not a vile, disgusting creature as you have put so nicely....  

Rudhe
Captain

Twilit Requiem

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:20 am
Dood... I love those books xD I know most of it is plagarised, etc, but that's what makes them better =D My friends and I had countless minutes of fun picking out everything he stole.
Awesome fun =)  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 2:26 am
Hahaha, yeah there were a lot of that! However most of my friends either hate it or love it cos they think its sooooo good (ie think Paolini is a literary genius) so I have no-one that shares my view crying  

Rudhe
Captain

Tears of the Siren

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:32 pm
I enjoyed his books, but he doesn't hold a candel to Tolkein. Some of the obvious ripoffs, like the dwarf city that was almost an exact clone of Minas Tirith, really pissed me off though. He's not a literay genius, but he's not vile pond scum either. Though I wouldn't object to poking him.  
PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 9:55 pm
Nowadays, it's very difficult not to plaigarize when writing books. I want to become a writer and whenever I finally come up with a great idea for a book, I find out that someone else has already thought of it. The best we can do is enhance on other people's ideas though that does not necessarily mean the new ones would be better. I haven't read Paolini's books but based on people's reactions to them, I highly doubt they are anywhere near as good as Tolkien's.  

SYFFER

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:41 am
Not only is he guilty of intellectual theft, but have you seen him on talk shows? He's a smug, stuck-up little drajl (to use his word) who thinks he's just so great! His head swelled to the point where he felt he could talk down to J.K. Rowling! He endorsed Terry Brooks! Terry Brooks! *screaming in rage, hurling things across the room*

For a full (and rather biased, I must admit, but largely reliable) recount of his crimes, go to:

www.anti-shurtugal.com  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 9:14 am
I love his books personally blaugh They are very interesting and he does a good job, I think he has a lot of potential as a writer but I wouldn't go so far as to call it genius. I agree with Galadedrid though, he doesn't even hold a light to Tolkein! Tolkein is far superior and though his story may be similar to Tolkeins they really don't compare blaugh  

churrlo

Tears of the Siren

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 5:27 pm
It's like comparing graphite to a diamond.  
PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 11:51 pm
What an idiot! He thought that us LotR fans would'nt realise! I have only read Eragon and I think the idea was so old and tired. I mean, Tolkien is a god to me! Nothing could ever compare. And the movie is crap! Arya? How much does that rip off Arwen?
Jeeze, I really hate this guy though the book was a little entertaining it would never, ever come close to least of Tolkiens books! What a loser.
Paolini's Old Language (or whatever he calls it) is basically Icelandic and Tolkiens Quenya (yay!!) is heavily influenced by Finnish. Now I don't know how closeley the two 'real' languages are related but they sound VERY similar to me.
Everyone always goes on about him starting the book when he was a kid but, I mean, I know that I could do just as well or better (without plagerism) I'm sure many of you could as well!  

-Luthien123-

Galadedrid Damodred

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:44 am
Luthien123
What an idiot!!! He thought that us LotR fans would'nt realise!!! I have only read Eragon and I think the idea was so old and tired. I mean, Tolkien is a god to me!! Nothing could ever compare! And the movie is crap! Arya? How much does that rip off Arwen??
Jeeze! I really hate this guy though the book was alittle entertaining it would never,ever come close to least of Tolkiens books! What a loser!
Paolini's Old Language (or whatever he calls it) is basically Icelandic and Tolkiens Quenya (yay!!) is heavily influenced by Finnish. Now I don't know how closeley the two 'real' languages are related but they sound VERY similar to me.
Everyone always goes on about him starting the book when he was a kid but I mean I know that I could do just as well or better (without plagerism)! I'm sure many of you could as well!

WELL SAID!  
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 2:39 pm
I saw the title of this thread, and all I could think was "Oh, no. An Eragon fan has somehow managed to infiltrate!" Glad to see that I assumed wrongly. :3

I honestly tried to read Eragon, I really did. But, I truly found it impossible to read past the first chapter. I'm also quite surprised at how many LotR fans are also fans of Paolini...it seems almost like treason. xD

Btw, here's a nice little anti-Inheritance website (not a hate website, it just politely points out its flaws. sweatdrop )

~Anti-Shur'tugal

KK.trin

churrlo

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 9:00 pm
I do enjoy the books, they are really interesting. However just because I enjoy the books doesn't mean they are comparable xd Tolkein's books are of such a high quality that they don't compare to Paolini's razz  
PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 12:53 am
Yeah its a little bit more like that. Definitely wouldn't called myself a fan of the tril, but there were some interesting stuff in the second book. The character relations are so bad though...

Then again I only read it once and under a timed condition of 2 days per book so....you know, only got general gist.  

Rudhe
Captain

Twilit Requiem

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 12:17 am
exclaim Dood. Let's clear this up. I am in no way saying LOTR sucks. Ok? I love the books. I know the plotline front, backwards, inside out and outside in. So don't evict me because of what I say in this post, mmkay? xD exclaim

Let's evaluate this, shall we?

On one hand, we have Tolkien. A genius in his own right. On the other we have a recently new author showered with praise 'cause he started writing at 15.

Tolkien's style is completely different to the "modern" way of writing today. Most people find it torture to read a book like LOTR. I'll admit this, I did skip a large portion of Frodo and Sam's chapters in the books when I finaly got around to reading them myself (before my Dad read them to me =3).

Now let's look at Inherritence.
The style is simple, easier to understand, and aimed at a younger audience than LOTR. Think about it-if you were twelve, would you rather read a book about dragons and a teenage vegan hero who saves the world or a book written in the beautiful and confusing (at least, to me xD) language of Tolkien's time?

These two books are both aimed at a completely different audience. There is no comparison. Inherritence's popularity no doubt comes from those leigions of twelve-year-olds who can't be bothered to even contemplate reading LOTR, for the simple reason that, to them, the amazing books are just massive, dust-filled bricks.
Which, coincidently, is what state my copies of Eragon and Eldest are in xD

Oh, and those twelve year olds don't know what they're missing out on. Do you know how many times I laughed at the line; '"Alas," said Legolas,'? Yes, I know. I am sad =)  
Atalantë - A new beginning

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff