Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Contradictions in the bible. Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Dissnitive Blade

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 7:53 pm
One thing I notice many Christians tell me is that the bible is the one and absolute truth, so I went to do some research on the internet, only to find that the "absolute" bible contradicts itself many times, the following are a few of the many contradictions found in this book considered by many to be absolute:

God good to all, or just a few?

PSA 145:9 The LORD is good to all: and his tender mercies are over all his works.

JER 13:14 And I will dash them one against another, even the fathers and the sons together, saith the LORD: I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy them.

War or peace?
EXO 15:3 The LORD is a man of war: the LORD is his name.

ROM 15:33 Now the God of peace be with you all. Amen.

CRUEL, UNMERCIFUL, DESTRUCTIVE, and FEROCIOUS or KIND, MERCIFUL, and GOOD:

"I will not pity, nor spare, nor have mercy, but destroy." (Jer. 13:14) "Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not, but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling."

"The Lord is very pitiful and of tender mercy." (James 5:11)
"For his mercy endureth forever." (1 Chron. 16:34)
"The Lord is good to all, and his tender mercies are over all his works." (Ps. 145:9)
"God is love." (1 John 4:16)

Have you guys seen more examples of this type of flip-flopping and hypocrisy?  
PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 8:07 pm
We all know there are many things in the bible that contradict themselves...but there is no reason to dwell on it.

Many of the so called contradictions come down to how things were translated from one language into english. For example what we call the "Red Sea" is actually correctly written "Reed Sea" because the body of water was named after the reeds, not the color red. It was a mistake in translation.

I don't have any contradictions that I can pull out off the top of my head right now.

Sanguvixen

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:02 am
I think it's sort of how, if a parent spanks a child, it's only because "they love them". The whole "holy wrath" thing is intended to keep people in line, so they can grow into good Christians. Personally, though, I believe there's a difference between discipline and eternal damnation.  
PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:55 pm
Matthew 1:16
And Jacob begat Joseph the husband of Mary, of whom was born Jesus, who is called Christ.

Luke 3:23
And Jesus himself began to be about thirty years of age, being (as was supposed) the son of Joseph, which was the son of Heli,

So which one was Joseph's father? Jacob or Heli?

Contradictions are fun.  

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 12:59 pm
User Image

this is a little bit old, we've all known that the bible is flawful.

User Image

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:31 pm
Don't try listing them, you'd save time just copying the bible and pasting it here.  

God of lunchboxes

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 8:42 pm
There is an interesting contradiction recently came to my attention. In my area a bunch of theists got together to "Rededicate America to God."

Yeah...the implied god is the Christian god, right? In the Bible, one of the Ten Commandments clearly states "Thou shall not steal."

If America was founded as Christian Nation, on Christian morals, than...why did they steal the land from the Native Americans? Are they to imply that thier ancestors who settled here committed the sin of theft...in order to dedicate the land to the god who supposedly created the land the begin with?

Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 8:09 pm
All Holy Scriptures have flaws of some kind in them due to mis-translations and the like. The one's in the Bible are just the most well known, and there are plenty of them. Going with the flow of the rest of this thread, I'll give a few examples:

Which came first: Birds or Man?

GENESIS 1:20-21, 26-27 Birds were created before man was created.
GENESIS 2:7, 19 Man was created before birds were created.

People can Escape God's View?

GENESIS 4:16 Cain went away (or out) from the presence of the Lord.
JEREMIAH 23:23-24 A man cannot hide from God. God fills heaven and earth.

What Weapon did David use to kill Goliath:

1SAMUEL 17:50 David killed Goliath with a slingshot.
1SAMUEL 17:51 David killed Goliath (again?) with a sword

((These are only one passage away from each other. In fact in the first passage it says that David doesn't even have a sword in his hand. In the second passage, a sword has magically appeared in his hand and actually decapitates Goliath.))

Who do you obey: God or Man?

ACTS 5:29 Obey God, not men.
ROMANS 13:1-4, 1PETER 2:13-15 Obey the laws of men. It is the will of God.

Who Inflicts Sickness?

NUMBERS 11:33 God inflicts sickness.
JOB 2:7 Satan inflicts sickness.  

Arios V

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2007 10:23 pm
Delightful work, sir.  
PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2007 5:48 am
If you consider that the bible was written by loads of people (including the books that weren't included) over at least several hundred years, there are bound to be inconsistancies!!

its like chinese whispers! The story at the end of the chain, is gonna be a lot different to the story at the beginnning  

Myrphomatic

Chiroptera Prince

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:19 am
Myrphomatic
If you consider that the bible was written by loads of people (including the books that weren't included) over at least several hundred years, there are bound to be inconsistancies!!

its like chinese whispers! The story at the end of the chain, is gonna be a lot different to the story at the beginnning

true but come on the noahs ark must have been pretty far'fetched in the first place.
(just wondering is it true that Jesus killed a boy when he bumped into the market place and blinded his parents?. Someone mentioned it but ive never heard it before)  
PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:52 pm
Theophrastus
Delightful work, sir.

Thank you  

Arios V

Arios V

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 7:53 pm
reaver98
Myrphomatic

true but come on the noahs ark must have been pretty far'fetched in the first place.
(just wondering is it true that Jesus killed a boy when he bumped into the market place and blinded his parents?. Someone mentioned it but ive never heard it before)

Actually, there is a Contradiction about the Ark as well. Apparently, Noah and his group entered the Ark twice.

GENESIS 7:7 Noah and his clan enter the Ark.
GENESIS 7:13 They enter the Ark (again?).  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 1:40 am
Arios V
reaver98
Myrphomatic

Actually, there is a Contradiction about the Ark as well. Apparently, Noah and his group entered the Ark twice.

GENESIS 7:7 Noah and his clan enter the Ark.
GENESIS 7:13 They enter the Ark (again?).

Its all the little quirks and contradictions like that that make me want to read the bible!! just for the pleasure of seeing how mucked up it is! ;p  

Myrphomatic

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:09 pm
reaver98
Myrphomatic

I remember in a Theology class reading the story (non-canonical Bible books) of Jesus as a child turning five mud birds into live birds as a small child. Later a boy was running through a market and slammed into Jesus. Jesus yelled at the boy, "You'll never get where you're going!" Then the boy dropped dead.

Interesting reads, when you know the original Bible well, but all still meaningless, contradictory fiction.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff