Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
Kirby's Bio Report on Dissociative Identity Disorder

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

DID?
  Like, skizophrenia?
  Uh, no, isn't it like...paradisiticism? (Kirby's disease. It's like, 12 insanities all in one. >.< )
  Oh, wow. That's kinda sad.
View Results

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 4:00 pm
This goes in tomorrow, so help is appreciated.

Enjoy. >.<

Dissociative Identity Disorder
If tragedy strikes—if a loved one is lost, your home is destroyed, you are diagnosed with a life-threatening disease, or your worst fear comes true—what would you do? You can easily say that you will handle the situation without quavering, swiftly, efficiently, and permanently; so can anyone else. You can say that, but it is not always going to happen. When someone experiences such a tragic misfortune or event, they often break down, and have difficulty getting back on track…and some never do. Some even do what all of us wish to do in times like these: escape into our minds, where there will not be fear, pain, or heartbreak. And when they do, it is almost impossible to return.
This situation has a name: Dissociative Identity Disorder. Originally, it was called Multiple Personality Disorder, but the name did not stick, because that is not what it is at all. When a victim of tragedy retreats into their mind, they do not photocopy an evil clone out of himself or herself and let it take over. They do not have two personalities; that would be a strong case of chimerism or some completely different mental illness. They do not have schizophrenia, hearing voices in their minds. They just…exist…in a world of their own, while their body goes on without them.
DID comes from a situation the victim cannot handle, such as a loved one’s dead, abuse during childhood, or a horribly life-changing event. The victim decides that, rather than face the pain, loss, and grief, he or she will take refuge in his or her own mind, free of the outside world. When this happens, a sort of wall will come around his or her mind, metaphorically, and a new, different part of them will handle the situation. This “diccosiative identity” has basic traits of the original, but is not the same at all; merely a temporary, until the original can come out again and reclaim their lives. However, this escape from reality, though not permanent, can last longer than intended, and when it is gone, can lead to memory loss of that time, a feeling of loss and sadness, and even resulting in the other personality not being gone at all…rather, it will return to face another stressful situation, allowing the original to take control when the crisis is over.
DID is a mental and emotional condition, making it hard to diagnose and treat; the easiest way to tell if someone has DID is if they are depressed, overanxious, have phobias, panic attacks, headaches, eating disorders, time distortions, or amnesia, and often try to harm themselves through substance use or abuse, self-mutilation, and/or suicide thoughts and attempts. All of these come from a feeling of stress or loss that often they cannot explain, since they were not in control at the time, guilt, dissociation with themselves and the world around them, and the general feeling that something within them is not right. Treatment can be difficult, as most victims are adults whose stressful event was in their childhood, and involves anti-depressant medicine, clinical hypnosis, and therapy.
There is some controversy over DID, as to whether it exists or not, and if it does, who should define it—therapist or patient?—, whether it is real or delusional, and whether it should be cured at all. For the time of crisis, it is a good thing—it delays or halts panic attacks and breakdowns—but the long-term effects never go away, and can have serious repercussions on the victim…overall, DID is a disease that will never completely heal, and the final results of it never, ever go away.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:36 pm
Only read part of it.. Bit do not use ananagrams. Write DID all the way out.  

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:46 pm
Oh, you think so?

'Kay.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:51 pm
This... Is me.

Dissociative Identity Disorder.

Need a quote?  

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 5:59 pm
...don't think so. Why, you got one?

And yes, I knew it was you. Maybe a bit less obvious, but definitely describes you. You should get that checked out, Tak. But then, as the conclusion asks, SHOULD it be cured?  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:10 pm

... It has a name?

Wow.

*Is now... relieved, in a sense*

See, world. I'm not crazy! I'm not, I'm not, I'm not!

So this is what my counselor was alluding to (yes, I have one now; I finally broke down [literally]; she tends to have odd ways of explaining things, though).  

Reese_Roper

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 6:14 pm
Been to consulors. I am to stubborn to even look at them.

I know what is wrong with me. I accept it. I enjoy it.

Keeps me blocked from others... and I dont mind.

There is no cure, because one choose to escape into their minds.

It would be intrusion if you gave them drugs to drag them out of there self induced lethargy.  
PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2007 7:00 pm
YEah, I totally agree...I wish I could do that myself. I just don't know how. MAybe I already did...  

KirbyVictorious

UsakoTenshi

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 8:05 am
Hope you'll get a good grade on this.

Whenever I hear about pills that are ment for depression and anger, it gets me all annoyed and ticked off! It's just a natural thing to get depressed.  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 4:31 pm
Well, depression is actually a legit disease..not being depressed, but having a chemical inbalance that MAKES you depressed. It also makes you hurt and have issues with suicide and drugs and stuff...nothing really causes it. I think it has something to do with endorphins.

Now, medicine for hyperactivity makes ME mad...I had to take it. You know what it did? NOTHING! And it tasted awful, adn I was like, eight! eight-year-olds are supposed to be hyperactive!

,...or, I may have been 13, just 8 in my mind. it happens sometimes.

I have DID as well. *highfives*

And thanks, Usa.  

KirbyVictorious

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:14 pm
Ridalin.

Im on it.

Because I have Attention Defficet Disorder.

Or A.D.D.

Just another list to my numerous problems you guys dont know about.  
PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:55 pm
...I never would have guessed. You don't ACT like you have surpressed ADD...

Another useless drug? Are you fine without it?  

KirbyVictorious

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 4:57 pm
Im actually on a bit of medication...

And I just have self control..

But when I want to be happy..

and I having to take ridalin... its hard.

So normally I dont take it.  
PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 5:27 pm
Good for you.

I was on meds once. Everyone probably remembers...I'd spaz if I forgot to take it, and when I did I was like.....................X.x *dead*. Coulda sworn it was Ridalin, had the same effect kinda, I think...  

KirbyVictorious

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff