Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Help, enable, join in? (Drug usage) Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200
PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 9:49 am
No, this isn't about whether drugs are bad or not, nor whether or not you do them. xP My idea for this topic is more along the lines of how we deal with people we know who use drugs.
With friends one of the issues that comes up is: who do you help and why?
Maybe you're doing it with your friends. Maybe you're the one who helps someone when they say they won't do it again. (Of course there are more options too. )
I've found it an interesting problem I guess to think about when you draw the line. Some people just look the other way, some people actively don't want to be the 'enabler.'
So so, discuss your opinions and positions on how you do or would treat people you know regarding their drug use and what you'd consider okay to do to help them.
Yeah. Can't think of a better way to phrase that, but hopefully you clever folk can run with it. :]

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2007 10:16 am
Anyone who wants to stop using drugs or drinking alcohol has to realize that they are not powerless over their addiction. There is a difference between the neocortex and the limbic system. Addiction has no control over motor commands, which you need in order to use drugs in the first place.

I don't think addiction is a "disease," as 12-step programs like Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous refer to it. The "disease" concept of addiction takes responsibility away from the addict, and glorifies their addiction, when in reality the addict is the one responsible for what he/she is doing. If they can't feel responsible for their actions, then they can't feel any real sense of accomplishment for actually losing the addiction. They end up relying on their support group, which just becomes their new drug.

Addicts need to realize that their past and their genes have nothing to do with their addiction. Blaming the addiction on events beyond one's control just takes responsibility away from the addict and makes them feel hopeless. Using drugs is voluntary, and addicts do it of their own free will; if they realized this, then maybe they'd be more inclined to take initiative for themselves.  

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

Myrphomatic

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 12:20 pm
Semper Fiasco
Anyone who wants to stop using drugs or drinking alcohol has to realize that they are not powerless over their addiction. There is a difference between the neocortex and the limbic system. Addiction has no control over motor commands, which you need in order to use drugs in the first place.

I don't think addiction is a "disease," as 12-step programs like Narcotics Anonymous and Alcoholics Anonymous refer to it. The "disease" concept of addiction takes responsibility away from the addict, and glorifies their addiction, when in reality the addict is the one responsible for what he/she is doing. If they can't feel responsible for their actions, then they can't feel any real sense of accomplishment for actually losing the addiction. They end up relying on their support group, which just becomes their new drug.

Addicts need to realize that their past and their genes have nothing to do with their addiction. Blaming the addiction on events beyond one's control just takes responsibility away from the addict and makes them feel hopeless. Using drugs is voluntary, and addicts do it of their own free will; if they realized this, then maybe they'd be more inclined to take initiative for themselves.

I agree with what you're saying there, but if you tried telling an addict that its their fault they're addicted, I can imagine you getting a thumping! I know that passing the buck onto something else is an easy option out of a difficult situation, but trying to tell a person that they are essentially flawed is a dangerous thing, and you might do damage rather than helping them... I may be wrong, but thats the way i can see it going!  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:48 pm
Myrphomatic
Semper Fiasco

I agree with what you're saying there, but if you tried telling an addict that its their fault they're addicted, I can imagine you getting a thumping! I know that passing the buck onto something else is an easy option out of a difficult situation, but trying to tell a person that they are essentially flawed is a dangerous thing, and you might do damage rather than helping them... I may be wrong, but thats the way i can see it going!

All I was saying is that if addicts blame their genes or personality for their drug problems, then they'll become convinced that their addiction is something that can't be helped. Nothing in their past or genetic makeup causes them to use drugs. They do it because they like the feeling it gives them. It's not a disease, a symptom, or even a defect of character. It's self-indulgence. That's it.

And they'll say almost anything to rationalize their addiction. The very fact that they they can make a list of pros and cons of using drugs shows their willingness to allow their midbrain to dominate the neocortex. That's why you see people who are addicted to other activities (i.e. sex, gambling, eating, etc.). Addiction stems from pleasure, which originates in the limbic system.

If addicts are told that they is powerless over their addiction (as AA teaches), then their "higher power" can end up being their addiction. If they are kept in a recovery group forever, then there's no reason for them believe that they shouldn't "relapse."

Yeah, I'm just ranting now, so I'll leave it at that.

Oh, and I found this recently; might want to check it out.
Rational Recovery  

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

Super Perfundo

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 5:48 pm
I do drugs, so I'm aware that there are different levels of addiction. I have friends that I just look at sometimes and say "Dude, you've gone too far." There's always a point in any drug addict's life where they are forced to re-evaulate they're choices. Sometimes it's because of a friend or loved one, but mostly it's overdoses and failed suicide attempts. It's sad, but true. There's not much you can do except to accept it. Don't be an enabler, but don't nag at them either. Believe me, they know on some level what they're doing is wrong.  
PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 10:18 pm
Semper Fiasco, as usual we are in one accord.

I know people who do drugs; living where I do, it's almost impossible to make friends among non-users.

I refuse to do anything that makes a friend's access to or use of drugs easier for them. I won't be around them when use occurs, and won't go with them to places they expect it will happen; if it does, I leave.

Breaking such viciously enforced laws is a stupid choice, social stigma is the slap on your a** on the way out. You can never stop being a user, just someone who still uses or someone who used in the past. I don't like having titles attached to myself.

It sucks to be unsympathetic towards the lifestyles of people who are otherwise quite impressive, but perhaps my quiet protest may influence them.

And to make clear, I don't nag them about it. I make clear I don't support it at all, then it stays there. If they pressure me to use or hang out with users, the friendship is over.

To Seinfeld it up, I am the master of my own domain. At least when it comes to chemicals. XD  

Theophrastus

Myrphomatic

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:21 am
Semper Fiasco
Myrphomatic
Semper Fiasco

All I was saying is that if addicts blame their genes or personality for their drug problems, then they'll become convinced that their addiction is something that can't be helped. Nothing in their past or genetic makeup causes them to use drugs. They do it because they like the feeling it gives them. It's not a disease, a symptom, or even a defect of character. It's self-indulgence. That's it.

And they'll say almost anything to rationalize their addiction. The very fact that they they can make a list of pros and cons of using drugs shows their willingness to allow their midbrain to dominate the neocortex. That's why you see people who are addicted to other activities (i.e. sex, gambling, eating, etc.). Addiction stems from pleasure, which originates in the limbic system.

If addicts are told that they is powerless over their addiction (as AA teaches), then their "higher power" can end up being their addiction. If they are kept in a recovery group forever, then there's no reason for them believe that they shouldn't "relapse."

Yeah, I'm just ranting now, so I'll leave it at that.

Oh, and I found this recently; might want to check it out.
Rational Recovery

yeah, I agree with what you are saying, i never once said what you were saying was wrong! I personally think that that would be the best way to solve an addiction problem!...

The website looks great, btw! It does whaqt you suggested, in a way that to my ears (so to speak) less threatening than the method you were describing, though thats probably just me reacting badly to it sweatdrop ...

but yeah, if people who realised they have an addiction used something like that website, or were encouraged to use something like that then i think it would be less of a problem than it is now!

but yeah, thanks for posting that!! along with the rants, i enjoy reading rants ;p  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:07 am
I used to smoke weed, but I stopped when I got to college, so it's been a few years. I took X three times, and although it was one helluva ride, I don't recomend it. The drug is very addicting and horrible for yo bod. I smoked opium once, and I puked so bad from it that the name still makes me nauseous. Aaaaaaand....that's about it. I've always kind of stayed away from the "harder" drugs like pills, acid, coke, heroin, and all that wicked s**t. I'm a good boy, I am.  

Dathu

Newbie Noob

God of lunchboxes

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:27 pm
I've never done drugs, but my sister has. She hasn't changed at all, but she vomits more. XD just kidding, about the vomiting part. But hell I'm fourteen, I have time.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 2:53 pm
I'm abstinent, so I decided to be against drugs as well. My friends are always teasing me about it, saying that drugs help them with alot of things, and thats it the best feeling on the planet or some other bullcrap. I really want to make them stop, but as soon as they mention them stopping, they just ignore me.  

Becka Minato

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:09 pm
I've never given much thought to doing drugs, partly because I don't feel as though I need to. For me, I love the natural high adrenaline gives you, and believe me, you can get that in most video games. Also, I'm afraid of needles, so heroin is out of the question.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:24 pm
If you want a rush just engage in some parkour.  

Theophrastus

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:21 pm
Theophrastus
If you want a rush just engage in some parkour.

I play video games. I have neither the agility nor stamina for such activities. sad  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:29 am
I used to be rather militant about it, however, I've cooled down a bit over time. I don't use drugs and have no interest in anything except the occasional alcohol as a social thing, or if I feel like s**t (and it hasn't been used for that yet), although if I end up an anthropologist I may have to use some during field work so as not to offend the native culture I'm studying...but that's an entirely different story.

In any case, I will still be friends with the person and will not nag (although I will make my position clear), however, I will be a distant friend unless the person quits and if they wish to quit I will help. I have no close friends that use drugs and I intend to keep it that way. Can a person be someone to hang out with, chat with, have some laughs with, play video games with, or talk to online all the time? Sure. But someone I'll develop a close bond with? No. I find keeping my distance to be better both for me and the friend.  

Harvested Sorrow

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:59 am
It really depends. If the addict knows they are addicted, and they want to change, than I might try to help them, and give them my support. That is what friends are for, right? To help each other out.

However, I will not waste my breath, my time, my effort, and my heart on a person who doesn't want to change, or doesn't realize they are addicted, or that being addicted is a problem.

You can't do much when talking to a brick wall, so it is best not to try.

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff