Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Holy s**t! (Or; One crazed woman's rant against Atheism) Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 7:46 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Wow.

Just wow.

Soldotna is a city in Alaska. Most likely, this was published in The Peninsula Clarion, a regional newspaper.

All I can assume is that this woman is stark-raving mad, sucking on whiskey and riddled with cabin fever. For those who don't know, Alaska is so red, gun-loving and hateful it makes Texas look like Boston.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:14 pm
Old.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:36 pm
OYFG. Notice how she only lists christian-subsections. No Jews, Mormons or other religions. What an idiot.

Edit: Sorry about using "Jews", but my normal hand is a bit injured, and its out of commission for the moment. Please excuse any shortened, and possibly (though unintentionally) offensive words.  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:52 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Old.

I'm sorry for not being up to date on the entire internet. ;]  

Theophrastus

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 8:59 pm
Theophrastus
Tenth Speed Writer
Old.

I'm sorry for not being up to date on the entire internet. ;]

I posted it here months ago. xD  
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:10 pm
This is most likely going to get the same comments we get about everything similar to that. Someone will suggest burning someone, etc. The word 'idiot' or its synonyms will be used frequently.
So perhaps you should try making a point of real discussion besides just offering some fuel for the fire, and prove me wrong. :]

caustic 0_0

O.G. Prophet

9,500 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Streaker 200

candycane elf

Eloquent Elocutionist

4,700 Points
  • Signature Look 250
  • Hygienic 200
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:11 pm
Rose tints my world......

I hate when people say America was based on religion, its just not true. neutral

...... keeps me safe from my trouble and pain.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:27 pm
Hmm.

Well I did find that an Atheist (in Alaska?!) replied in the next editorial column, politely defending their stance. Sadly, I couldn't read the whole thing because it required registration and, well, that's just silly.

I guess if we're going to force a theme or discussion...

ITT: what positive faces have you seen put on atheism that actually made it to the press?  

Theophrastus

God of lunchboxes

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 10:28 am
None yet Theo, however I would like to read the article about fishing. It seems far more sensible.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 11:36 am
Isn't that the most red-neck attitude ever? -Insert red neck voice- "If you aren't like us in this here God country then get on out"  

Dissnitive Blade

Cirosan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 12:58 pm
Does anyone remember those old commercials where someone would throw trash on the highway and a Native American man would stare into the camera and shed a single tear that flowed sorrowfully down his cheek?

Everyone with a brain that read that just did the same.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:00 pm
Cirosan
Does anyone remember those old commercials where someone would throw trash on the highway and a Native American man would stare into the camera and shed a single tear that flowed sorrowfully down his cheek?

Everyone with a brain that read that just did the same.

At the risk of being an idiot, I don't understand the analogy.  

God of lunchboxes

Cirosan

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:08 pm
Shedra Helix
At the risk of being an idiot, I don't understand the analogy.

What I was trying so say was that anyone with a brain that read that bigoted rant just cried as miserably as that Native American man. Sorry, I suppose I'm not too good at analogies.  
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 1:17 pm
"Atheists are the reason crime is rampant."

To be fair, if one completely disregards the Third Reich, the Crusades, the Spanish Inquisition, almost every single war between the beginning of civilization and World War II, Jesus-endorsed slavery, that Amish school shooting, September 11th, and priests bumming altar boys, she'd be right.

Fortunately, the majority of people do NOT want to see atheists out of the country. Fundies are the minority. Also, if the Judicial branch of the government this woman so fervently supports interprets "freedom of religion" to include "having no religion", then that's what the Constitution says.

"Atheists have caused the ruin of this great nation by taking prayer out of our schools and being able to practice what can only be called evil."

I don't know about you guys, but I never had a problem saying "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance. I thought of it a little like if I was going into a Buddhist shrine, then I would still have to be reverent, even if I didn't believe what Buddhists did (and I don't). But saying that lack of prayer is the equivalent of evil is like saying prayer brings puppies and flowers and butterflies into someone's life. I can just picture now people being tortured during the Inquisition as a priest stood over them saying the Lord's prayer.

Also, the notion that atheism's sole purpose is to spread evil practices is ludicrous. I only wish we were that organized...I've never been in too many good clubs (or cabals, for that matter). Part of me just wants to further this woman's delusions by acting how she thinks an atheist should act. Then she'll write more comedy gold like this.

If Jesus' intent was to preach peace, and this woman is how a Christian is supposed to be, then the big guy's probably pulling out his hair up on high right about now.  

ProjectOmicron88

Dissnitive Blade

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 2:52 pm
Why is it that so many Christians have a persecution complex? Are they being lynched by us "Evil" atheists?, do we burn down their homes, and take everything? No. They have no reason to deem themselves the victims of discrimination or anything for that matter. Funny how the Europeans that came here to be free from religion in England, basically got here and went: "Follow this religion or we kill you". Talk about hypocrisy.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 4 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff