Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
I hate stupid atheists. Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you get embarrassed when your fellow atheist makes an a*****e of him/herself?
  Yes.
  No.
  I just pretend like I don't know him/her. Then I slowly make my exit.
  I defend my atheism while pointing out how much of an a*****e this person is.
View Results

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:50 pm
I really really do.

I mean, please. If you're an a*****e, why should anyone respect you? After all, you look down on the Christians like they're scum. Does that sound familiar? Hm, just like the ones you hate, huh?

Also, a*****e, please research your types of Christianity before you bash a sect. You just might be wrong.

<>

Quote:
the other person*
A Soporific
Never mind that a significant proportion of Christians agree with Evolution. In fact, Catholicism (the single largest sect of Christianity) has stated publicly that there is no contradiction between Genesis and Evolution.

I have read a number of ideas about evolution. None of them involved 2 humans eating an apple and being cast out upon this planet, living thousands of years, and having little inbread children that also lived thousands of years. Could you maybe point us to a scientific theory with evidence supporting it that even comes close to what the bible says?
A Soporific

Catholic Schools do, in fact, teach Evolution in science courses, and are specifically instructed to by the Vatican.

Yes, that is because if they didn't their schools would be a joke and the kids would be laughed out of college.

My response:

Okay, jackass. One thing you have to remember about Catholicism is that they don't take the Bible literally. They read it metaphorically. I used to be Catholic, and I went to a Catholic school. I know. And they didn't teach evolution so their schools "wouldn't be a joke." Evolution doesn't contradict their metaphorical interpretation of the Bible. In fact, in religion classes in high school, we talked all the time about the Creation myth. Yes. Myth. We used that word.

Please research your types of Christians before you make comments like that. It really does make you look stupid.

---

LINK!!!!! ZOMG!!!! I heart the Extended Discussion.

*I replaced her name. stare  
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 11:57 pm
Like I've said before.

Being an atheist does not give you the right to be an a*****e.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Minaberries

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 9:10 am
Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:06 pm
I saw a topic in the GD not long ago called "I hate you because you believe in God". It was a girl going on a tirade (perhaps a well-deserved tirade) about how one atheist kid in his school was an a*****e to her because of her belief. Under the part where most GDers put "Discuss", she put "Why atheists are assholes" or something similar. I put in my two cents and basically told her that making sweeping generalizations like that puts her on this kid's level, especially since not all atheists are like that, and that I knew not all Christians are alike either. I did make it abundantly clear that I was atheist as well, and she got the point without a hostile word from either of us.

But you're absolutely right, atheism does at times seem too militant for its own good. It's as though a lot of us just aren't happy with the philosophy of "live and let live". Yes, people who believe in God are living their lives based on an illusion, but if their belief makes them content, I don't see why they should be told to stop, because we certainly have a right to be content in the security we feel knowing that our lives are in our own hands as opposed to that of an omnipotent being. Sure, you can tell them why you're atheist or why you think the world is the way it is, but if they believe in something that makes them feel safe, it's hardly fair to try to take that away. And just because they have in the past doesn't mean we can as well.  

ProjectOmicron88

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:14 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Yes, people who believe in God are living their lives based on an illusion, but if their belief makes them content, I don't see why they should be told to stop, because we certainly have a right to be content in the security we feel knowing that our lives are in our own hands as opposed to that of an omnipotent being.

You took quite a few words right out of my mouth with that. You're absolutely right. It's stupid to make waves over these things unprovoked.  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:34 pm
It also depends on how you do it, if you laugh at chrisitans in a light hearted, non derogatory manner, it lets people know that not all atheists are off their rocker, trying to convert you etc.

Ex. At a youth group, (which I attend to, hang with my freinds) me and a few of my other freinds are atheist but we still particpate in discussion and whatnot. Well, the ye old quote "God will forgive, if you accpet Jesus into your life" came up, and without thinking I ask "So if I mugged you, and gave the wallet to my homie jesus, then God wouldn't care?" Instead of instant disgust, people who know me, and even others who don't, laughed, not because mugging people is funny, but because it's not religion bashing, but more like real-time satire, and people don't mind that.

So like I said, it's all about the approach you take to your belief/disbelief. If you're an a**, people won't care, but if you're not, you may actually get some real discussions, or even some laughs while sharing your thoughts and opinions.  

The Candy Store Massacre

Dissnitive Blade

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 4:09 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Like I've said before.

I completly agree, I could not have said it better myself.  
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:05 pm
I don't want that person representing us but I don't hate them because I'd be the third brick of this evolving wall of hate. The Christians would hate us so the stupid atheists would hate the Chirstians and then we'd hate the stupid atheists. Then someone would hate us for hating our own. It would go on and on until everyone's a brick in the wall. The only way to stop it is to accept this person and the Christians. That way we'd tear down the wall and eventually get along. Or at least we'd be the one brick that's removed from the wall.  

Fenky

Wheezing Humorist

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:36 pm
It comes down to treating people the way you want to be treated. That is why I cringe, and will sometimes even intervine when I come across an Atheist who is being an a*****e for no other reason then "Just because he or she can".

You don't attack when unprovoked. You don't stalk looking for prey. You keep to yourself, and only bite when the other side draws the first attack.

There is no reason, and no excuse for trying to act high and mighty, there is no reason and no excuse to seek out people just to attack them for being atheist. There is no reason, and no excuse to stoop to the level of those you oppose.

If you want to be tolerated...be tolerant yourself. Those are good words to live by.

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 8:38 pm
For future reference, next time you do a screenie and show it in the guild, be considerate enough to blot out the name before doing so. It's just a better thing to do.

Sanguvixen

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:36 pm
User Image

O.o How do they take the bible metaphorically??
and... I don't really think the bible is reliable, i mean,
they literally changed the bible and the history of the religion to fit what they want to believe....

User Image

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:51 pm
Sanguvixen
For future reference, next time you do a screenie and show it in the guild, be considerate enough to blot out the name before doing so. It's just a better thing to do.

redface Okay. I fixed it. stare  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:57 pm
=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=
User Image

O.o How do they take the bible metaphorically??
and... I don't really think the bible is reliable, i mean,
they literally changed the bible and the history of the religion to fit what they want to believe....

User Image

They take the bible metaphorically because... I don't know. They do. (Most) Catholics try to live a healthy balanced life somewhere between faith and science. Scientific evidence proves the Earth is much older than 6,000 years, and there's significant evidence of evolution. Therefore, the creation story isn't to be taken literally. That's how they see it. I don't know why. I was just saying that the chick didn't even bother looking up exactly how Catholics interpret the bible.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 10:08 pm
Unfortunately the current Pope is reconsidering his predecessor's wise view on evolution sad  

Baron von Turkeypants

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Grunny Harvester 150
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 11:05 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
Unfortunately the current Pope is reconsidering his predecessor's wise view on evolution sad

OMFG are you for real? gonk Do you have a link where I can read?  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff