Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Why Do Some People Resist Science? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 10:59 pm
Very good article on cynicism towards scientific claims and its origin.

"The community of scientists has a legitimate claim to trustworthiness that other social institutions, such as religions and political movements, lack. The structure of scientific inquiry involves procedures, such as experiments and open debate, that are strikingly successful at revealing truths about the world. All other things being equal, a rational person is wise to defer to a geologist about the age of the earth rather than to a priest or to a politician."

Here.  
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:57 pm
What we have evaluated that there is no truth to anything. Processes of thought have changed miraculously over the years. What people do is live by their own truth because it's simple to understand.. I'm fine with religion as long as people don't try to step on me. But I feel they might be doing so.

There will never be a way for everyone to follow their own ways in a funded entity.  

CountGrishnak

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:50 am
... Didn't I have a post here? What happened to it?  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:54 am
Semper Fiasco

Maybe it was a done too soon after another post elsewhere?  

Theophrastus

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 1:13 pm
Theophrastus
Semper Fiasco

Maybe it was a done too soon after another post elsewhere?

No... I just realized you had posted the same topic in the Skeptics' Guild, and I had responded to that one.

I can be quite a forgetful toolbag sometimes.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 2:22 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

It's meant to be humorous, but it does allow me to illustrate the point that science is a continuous process, and that a "theory" does not mean a "guess".  

ProjectOmicron88

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:03 pm
It's interesting to see why people reject the realities of scientific fact. Also I think I'm guilty of the secound part of the article.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:05 pm
ProjectOmicron88

It's meant to be humorous, but it does allow me to illustrate the point that science is a continuous process, and that a "theory" does not mean a "guess".

Oh sweet mercy it's fishertechniks all over again.  

SkeletonPhoenix

Cirosan

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:14 pm
People resist science because once people have an established philosophy about something, it's very hard to adapt their philosophy to that new law, and easier to deny it altogether. Like most things, the path of least resistance may be easier, but also far more harmful in the long run.  
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 8:55 pm
User Image

i dunno.... 'cause they just deny to think with their brains?? (jk)
it's their problems anywayz,
if they want to stay in their "god will help us" bubble forever,
we let them stay in their bubbles then.
it's only them would fall on their butt when the bubble pops~

User Image

=X-Sparker + AquaKiller=

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 9:17 pm
ProjectOmicron88

Oh man, this cause quite the outrage at another forum I go to. "OMG U CAn'T JuST SAY THAT ReLIGION IS lIKE THAT NOt MY RElIGION U ASHOLE "  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 01, 2007 9:54 pm
People don't reject science; as a matter of fact I've seen a topic like this on the other side of the argument. The reason people don't believe in facts like the age of the Earth and Evolution is simple,

A) It made a damn good bedtime story.
B) It is surprisingly easy to argue with anyone.

I know a fundamentalist Christian who knows microevolution happens, even some macroevolution. But he doesn't believe that it breaks the species barrier. Such an event has never been witnessed (because no sentient being has lived long enough to watch it happen and tell us about it) so even though he conceders it possible he doesn't conceder it plausible.
People don't ignore science they just don't believe it.

From what I've seen.  

God of lunchboxes

CountGrishnak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 12:47 am
Science is a destroyer, in a way. With the creations of technologies and enovations, we are meerely finding ways to bane the world. Our search for efficiency and greater power is something that has made us more powerful beings, though.

So what is there to say that there is some basis that we deny the thing that makes us who we are? Would we still exist if it weren't for vaccination and other resistances?

I'm not saying scientists everywhere are saints. But they do have a big impact on how things work.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 10:15 am
I personally think its easier to understand science. But believing that some all-powerful being...unless theres proof, I wont believe it.  

Becka Minato

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces