Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Is God evil? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

AboveSkies

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:19 pm
Suppose that for some way God infact does exist, I know it's bullshit, but just use your imagination.

Suppose God is real; well heres the question. Is he evil? Would you consider Lucifer the true hero? Even if you want to look at it at a literature perspective.

What do you all think?  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:45 pm
No. He's just really lazy. He's got infinite power he could stop time save and save the world before anyone noticed. But he just lets us humans kill each other in mass numbers, he made the 10 laws but he doesn't enforce any of them.  

God of lunchboxes

Dissnitive Blade

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:56 pm
I always thought of earth and all life on it as being a reality TV show to God, I mean what has more drama and plot twists that human life.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:13 pm
By "God" do you mean the being that created the universe, if he existed?  

Baron von Turkeypants

Cirosan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:15 pm
Assuming God does exist for the sake of argument, he/she/it is among the most evil beings in existence, because of his/her/its power to stop bad things from happening to good people, and lack of initiative to do so. Everyone that I know would love nothing more than to stop bad things from happening to good people, and logic suggests an all-loving god would want the same.

"If there is any sort of intelligent life or higher power out there, then they are wise enough to stay away from us."
-- Gil Grissom  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:41 pm
If this all mighty creature, suposedly named "god", does exist, he may not be evil persay but he ceartinly aint good. According to the christian faith, he not only created the world, but he tried ta flood it too, and if one crank pot named noah hadent decided to make a giant a** boat, we never would've existed.  

rion kioji

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 11:49 pm
I'm going to assume you're talking about the Christian God. If so, and you really want to know how incredibly spiteful he is, just think of what he's supposedly doing to the Jews right now.

Since Judaism excludes belief in Jesus Christ, God (assuming he exists) is roasting every dead Jew in an enormous subterranean oven as we speak. On top of that, some of these Jews had to suffer in Adolf Hitler's concentration camps. So the Jews, for whatever reason, are suffering double consequences. For being Jews.

And when it comes to pure psychotic malice, Hitler could never have hoped to compete with God; when Hitler tortured his little Jewpets, at least he had the decency to put them out of their misery in the end. Apparently, God is just too shitty of a guy to grant them the same privilege.

If there is a God, then he has truly extended a great cosmic middle finger to every oppressed minority whose only crime was believing improperly.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:22 am
My concern is that if a God does exist, he isn't able to solve the problem of evil. In which case he never should have made us in the first place. THIS IS ON YOUR SHOULDERS, GOD!  

Baron von Turkeypants

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:03 am
Without bothering to cite Epicurus, I'm going to try to convey my thoughts as comprehensibly as possible.

The notion of Christian belief in a punishment system is an accurate parallel to how they see God. What I mean by that is, God loves you, but at the same time, he has no problems sending you to Hell. At the SAME time, other Christians believe that Jesus forgives you for absolutely anything, and as long as you accept him, you get into Heaven. It's contradictory to itself, and it reflects the Christian viewpoint on hardships in life.

If something good happens, it's God blessing you. If something bad happens, it's God testing your faith. Remember the story of Job? He had the shittiest life ever, and when he asked God why this was happening, God came to him and said that he was testing his faith. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this seems more along the lines of sadism to me.

There's also the fact that God seems to be vengeful and spiteful in the Old Testament, and loving and all-embracing in the New Testament. Christians pick and choose what they want to believe, it looks like, because while some cite the Ten Commandments as a guide to living their lives, others site Jesus as the guideline, and still others cite BOTH. But no matter how you live your life, God seems to give you ultimatums for ways to live your life, and that if you don't follow them, you have no chance of redemption. But apparently, he does it because he loves you.

In this way, God seems more like an authoritative parent, but there's a big difference between a spanking and eternal damnation in a lake of fire.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:59 am
No God who treated Job like that deserves to be worshiped.  

Baron von Turkeypants

AnonymouZ

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:59 pm
I guess, if the christian god, full of logic flaws and what not, was real... I'd say yes.

Why? well, because even if he had "overlooked" the problem of evil when he created everything, he has no real desire to rid us from it now that he knows how "evil" can ******** things up. Therefore, only a sick individual would enjoy watching kitties burn in microwaves. Which is kind of what this god would be doing, if it existed.

Lucifer would be no hero either, since the christian god (which, assuming his church really preaches his words) teaches you that it's satan/lucifer? the one that is to blame for all your misfortunes.

But all of this is a waste of time... (no offense... after all, i LIKE to waste time) I mean... dude, why not figure out what precisely is "evil"? why not approach it in an explanatory kind of way, so as to figure it why we even call things evil in the first place.

I mean, killing is not something evil by default. Killing (eating) your relatives is not something that makes crocodiles evil, or is it? Lusting after a HOT milf does not mean that you have something wrong with you... if anything it shows that your libido may be out of synch. So... first things first.

WHAT IS EVIL?

then... we explain why it's evil, and how we can rid ourselves from it (cuz if we wait for nirvana, or zeus to help us out... then hotdamn how retarded we are)

Then... whenever we think about redundant things like gods and evil we'd laugh and say: Oh yeah... better not think about it, cuz i'm enjoying my cheap jeans and cheap plasma tvs which are sewn/made by sweatshops all around the world! A ha ha. sweatdrop

stare  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:51 pm
If there DOES happen to be a god, then I can only surmise that, despite a LOT of consideration of Christian logic, the best we are though of is a full-scale game of Maxis' Spore. Perhaps there are a few situations where it seems chance is highly unlikely, but considering the state of some parts of the world, the idea of the "ultimate, loving, benevolent God" can only be applied to Suburbian churches and upper-class individuals.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Vedun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:08 am
Let's put it this way.
If there is a God, he is not evil. He just simply doesn't care about the human race at all and does not intervene at all. When he does intervene, he usually wipes out either the whole humanity( Noah's Flood ) or a city or two. (Soddom and Gamorra) Now what's interesting is the last example describes a nuclear blast like explosion. Plus all of the good people from that city went to the mountains, somewhere where the radiation is not that bad to to the rock. Sorry about getting off of the subject.
God is like a little child who toys with peoples lives and has nobody to stand up because he is apparently all powerful. But as we've seen over the years, all of his rules are defined and written by humans, the most imperfect self-destructive beings that ever existed.

To answer your other question, Lucifer would not be a hero because he is evil at heart and spends all of his existence torturing souls. And his rebellion happened before the creation so we definitely know that it was not done for humans. He did it for his own selfish reasons.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:23 pm
It depends. If your saying he/she does exist, and the world would be the same as it is today, then he/she wouldn't really qualify as evil. God would qualify more as uncaring and heartless, due to the fact that he/she has perimitted so much death and hatred to pass.  

The Saxonaut

Tipsy Raider

CountGrishnak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 12:38 am
God is a reflection of our humanity. Humanity is growing evil, so yes. God is evil.

"In my world your love is death.
Your disease, your skin that burns."

- Celtic Frost  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out