Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
We are fools at heart

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Vedun

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:00 pm
Fools we are indeed. We spend our lives arguing about whether there is or isn't a God, but what does it matter? Every religion claims that you will go to some equivalent of hell or heaven depending on how you lead your life. So why does it matter if there is a God or not? If there is one we are destined to either hell or heaven. If there isn't we die and only memories, whether good or bad about us live on. We are asking the wrong questions people. It matters not if there is one or not. If there is a god and you lead a good life, you go to heaven. If there is a god and you lead a bad life you go to hell. Simple, no? And if there is no god but you live a good life, you may have lived your whole life as a lie but you did good in the world so who can blame you? Honestly, who has the right to blame you for following a false idea of a nonexistent deity if by doing that you did good in the world?
-Die Hard Atheist  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 4:23 pm
Because if they were really "free" of religion then people would stand up more about what they think is fair or not. They would not let corporations get away with their crappy way to treat people (or the world/environment). they would not let a few "terrorists" change their way of life. They would not let their own government take away their freedom in exchange of security.

But as of now, most of them do... why? "Because god will take care of it when they face him for their final judgement."

It's like that song that goes
"i don't need good people to PRAY AND WAIT,
FOR THE LORD TO MAKE IT ALL STRAIGHT
there's only NOW, do it right..."  

AnonymouZ

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:20 pm
Mr.Waulrus
Fools we are indeed. We spend our lives arguing about whether there is or isn't a God, but what does it matter? Every religion claims that you will go to some equivalent of hell or heaven depending on how you lead your life. So why does it matter if there is a God or not? If there is one we are destined to either hell or heaven. If there isn't we die and only memories, whether good or bad about us live on. We are asking the wrong questions people. It matters not if there is one or not. If there is a god and you lead a good life, you go to heaven. If there is a god and you lead a bad life you go to hell. Simple, no? And if there is no god but you live a good life, you may have lived your whole life as a lie but you did good in the world so who can blame you? Honestly, who has the right to blame you for following a false idea of a nonexistent deity if by doing that you did good in the world?
-Die Hard Atheist

I'm personally not against people who spend their time helping people in the name of a god. I'm against people who hurt others in the name of a god, and people who call other people evil if they don't worship the same god as they do. It's a tragedy. Every time I'm reminded of the Israel-Palestine conflict, the Holocaust, the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Troubles, or September 11th, I think about what the world would be like without religion. Would it be more peaceful? Would there be more war? Who knows. All I know is that some people do evil in the name of the gods they worship. I'm atheist only until people get their stories straight, and agree on a single, unified story about the creation of the universe, how we should treat each other, and the like.

I try to live my life as good as I can. Not because I'm trying to be on the safe side, but because other people are in this life with me, and it doesn't hurt to have companions while you're here.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:53 pm
Well.

It's pretty easy for me to prove my statement that 'Being an atheist does not give you the right to be an a*****e.'

But then, I don't have a centuries-old book contradicting me on that.  

Tenth Speed Writer

CountGrishnak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 12:43 am
I think a way of morals is always the way to go. Just because someone doesn't believe in god doesn't mean that they have to go about being a monster with nothing but Id.  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:47 am
When the question is asked, "If there is no God and no precedent for morality; if survival of the fittest is the only law, then what keeps Atheists moral?" one may reply with confidence.

The rebuttal is simple; What keeps the religious from lying, stealing, raping and murdering? Nothing. There has never been a jail that didn't house the religious as often if not far more often than the non-theistic.

The answer to the question is easier still. Moral behavior, that is "Treat others as you would be treated" has been integral to civilization for thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years before the cult of Yaweh or its source, the Hebrews. Somehow humanity survived without it that long.

To rephrase, if you can find one Christian in jail and one upright Atheist the argument loses its validity. That is the weakness of dogma - one exception and it's lost its power.  

Theophrastus

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:02 am
Tenth Speed Writer
Well.

It's pretty easy for me to prove my statement that 'Being an atheist does not give you the right to be an a*****e.'

But then, I don't have a centuries-old book contradicting me on that.

;laughs; I love how you put that!

There is no point is arguing wether a god exists or not. There is no point arguing who's creation story is more accurate. For the sake of things, we do argue, because at the least we can learn from each other.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 4:35 pm
Well. I agree with everything that has been said. My only point is, that in the end it matters not if there is or no god. Live your life by your morals, your common sense. Keep the world a good place.  

Vedun

Alphabet Whore

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 10:02 pm
Yes, I guess that does make sense. But, if we live our lives as the kindest most gracious, law-abiding people, and we don't believe in god, then why should we go to hell? aren't you supposed to be judged on the things you did, not what you believe in? and if there is a god, why would he give us the freedom to not believe in him, and then just send us to 'hell' when we die?  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:30 am
+Pershiw+
Yes, I guess that does make sense. But, if we live our lives as the kindest most gracious, law-abiding people, and we don't believe in god, then why should we go to hell? aren't you supposed to be judged on the things you did, not what you believe in? and if there is a god, why would he give us the freedom to not believe in him, and then just send us to 'hell' when we die?

That's where the conflict with Christianity, in particular, arises.

The original concept was that any respectable, moral person would flock to it as a bastion of hope and, indeed, for a while, they did. It was only a few hundred years, though, until they had taken a significant majority, and gone the way that we see now.

While for all intents and purposes, it HAS worked, quite beautifully, it's a flawed concept to try and unite the world under religion. It's something that cannot be all-inclusive, and it will never include all, as there will always be those that think differently than others.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Becka Minato

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:25 pm
Wow...this is really deep. I would say something intelligent, but my brain is still processing what I've read.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games