Welcome to Gaia! ::

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Back to Guilds

Dedicated to bringing Chinese and friends from all over the world together. 

Tags: China, Chinese, friendship, Culture 

Reply *~ International Chinese Unite ~*
Religion... what say you? Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Which religion do you follow? (if any)
  Christianity
  Buddhism
  Agnostic / Atheist
  Liberal / Philosophical Theism
View Results

Tokioka

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 5:15 pm
This is a thread dedicated to the discussion of religion and all the issues that are associated with it. You can express your religious views or if you have none, then debate the views of others. Religion is a delicate subject, so please be respectful towards each other's beliefs. 3nodding

How to get the ball rolling.. hmm... P:

I suppose I can start by stating my own beliefs.

Coming from a Buddhist family in a primarily Christian country, I've always had conflicting views in my head. My parents didn't enforce Buddhism on myself and my brother (apart from the occasional visit to a temple), they just practised it themselves. So pretty much everything I know about Buddhism stems from TVB period dramas. xd
I've always been in a Church of England school as far as I can remember. The influence of going to these schools was mostly positive as I did learn good morals from Christianity, but I've never completely agreed with the teachings.
When I couldn't decide upon a religion I figured I was just agnostic. However, I do believe in a 'God' and after some research realised that I'm probably a liberal theist. Being a liberal theist just means that I believe in a God, but don't adhere to an established religion. This means that I can basically believe in anything I want as there are no guidelines. For example, "... a Liberal Christian may not, for example, conform entirely to the description of God in the bible. They would say that we can redefine God." (courtesy of wikipedia)

An example would be how I believe in the process of reincarnation found in Buddhism, but don't believe that human beings can be reincarnated as animals. Other things I believe include: fate (to a lesser extent), divine intervention and karma (also to a lesser extent).
I suppose to a religious person what I believe might appear to be stupid. And indeed there is the possibility that I'm miles off, but then again, there's also the possibility that I'm spot on. That's what makes religion interesting - nobody really knows. surprised  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:04 pm
i am Christian SDA.
i dont really act like one though... xd  

[.Mihiko-chan.]

Minielf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 9:31 pm
My family's similar to yours Toki in many ways. They too are primarily buddhist though they aren't really devout ones. But they still visit the local buddhist temple regularly. As for myself I don't really belong to any specific religion now, so i'd say I'm agnostic. But I'm not atheist. I do believe in god, and occassionally I still pray to him, mostly silently to wish for a better future and guard myself from bad events.

I also have a different view on life after death. I don't believe that people actually go to heaven when they die, nor do they get instantly reincarnated. I just think our souls and bodies remain in stasis underground, awaiting the time when God's angels finally destroy the devil and resurrect all the good people who have died since history began. You might say I'm a firm believer in the apocalyspe, since I've had constant wierd visions that it's going to happen within our lifetimes.

I developed these views and beliefs during my time as a devout and active member of the Christian group Jehovah's Witnesses. When i was a child I used to frequently go to their missionary groups and congregations but I stopped going when I started high school.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:22 pm
I'm a devout Christian. I believe in all the teachings of the Bible. All my family members are Christian except my dad. He is buddist, not a devout one though. I think that is why I don't have a close relationship with my dad. We don't value the same things the same way.

I'm surprised by the amount of people who believe there is a 'god' or higher being but don't outrightly give Him recognition. For me personally, I don't know how I'd live a day without knowing there is someone who is watching over me and giving strength. He is so wonderful and amazing!

[HelloKitty]

Leo-Nacci

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:33 pm
I find religion to be unneccesary and a pain in the butt, (no offense)  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:21 am

I'm Catholic.
    Which is a type of Christianity. :B
    I'm pretty devoted, but sometimes not really.
    I pray a lot and go to church a lot too!
    So you see, I am very devoted. xD

dazziOs

kt_jingle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:44 am
buddhist.
the only one?
cool nvm, i like and believe and agree with most of the buddhist teachings( that i know)
yeah.
i think my family and i are quite devoted.
3nodding  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:59 am
I am free ^^... I really dislike religion, but I don't dislike believers. Even if there was a Christian God I would hate "him". But as I said, I don't have anything against the believers as long as they don't try to force their religion on me.  

Matyy

[.Mihiko-chan.]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 10:59 am
p a n d a z !

I'm Catholic.
    Which is a type of Christianity. :B
    I'm pretty devoted, but sometimes not really.
    I pray a lot and go to church a lot too!
    So you see, I am very devoted. xD

haahaa!! =D i go to church every Saturday.
i dont really like praying. xDD  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:46 am
Tokioka
This is a thread dedicated to the discussion of religion and all the issues that are associated with it. You can express your religious views or if you have none, then debate the views of others. Religion is a delicate subject, so please be respectful towards each other's beliefs. 3nodding

How to get the ball rolling.. hmm... P:

I suppose I can start by stating my own beliefs.

Coming from a Buddhist family in a primarily Christian country, I've always had conflicting views in my head. My parents didn't enforce Buddhism on myself and my brother (apart from the occasional visit to a temple), they just practised it themselves. So pretty much everything I know about Buddhism stems from TVB period dramas. xd
I've always been in a Church of England school as far as I can remember. The influence of going to these schools was mostly positive as I did learn good morals from Christianity, but I've never completely agreed with the teachings.
When I couldn't decide upon a religion I figured I was just agnostic. However, I do believe in a 'God' and after some research realised that I'm probably a liberal theist. Being a liberal theist just means that I believe in a God, but don't adhere to an established religion. This means that I can basically believe in anything I want as there are no guidelines. For example, "... a Liberal Christian may not, for example, conform entirely to the description of God in the bible. They would say that we can redefine God." (courtesy of wikipedia)

An example would be how I believe in the process of reincarnation found in Buddhism, but don't believe that human beings can be reincarnated as animals. Other things I believe include: fate (to a lesser extent), divine intervention and karma (also to a lesser extent).
I suppose to a religious person what I believe might appear to be stupid. And indeed there is the possibility that I'm miles off, but then again, there's also the possibility that I'm spot on. That's what makes religion interesting - nobody really knows. surprised

im d same as u lolz.
but im nt sure bout d liberal thesist thing...cos i didnt continue reading xp  

chink-e

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:54 am
Me, I'm atheist agnostic. Yeah. Agnostic. I try to keep myself open-minded, and I admit at times I am tempted by religion, and I truly admire those who can have such strong faith. I mean, I think I could be religious apart from - my brain just won't accept something that is illogical.. xD

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:23 pm
tempted by religion??  

[.Mihiko-chan.]

Niphz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:17 pm
Yes, tempted by religion. Because I see it as.. something people use to comfort themselves, to make the world less random and to console themselves that there is a method behind the madness and mostly to alleviate the fear of death that is inherent in human nature. That's what I'm tempted by - the comfort, the security of knowing that it's not the end. It seems so easy, "if you 'believe' then you will have the answer to everything and all will be fine", but then.. it requires going against the concepts which I have formed for myself from independent thinking inside my head and just randomly - I dunno - believing in something which doesn't actually have any logical basis. Which is why - for now - I refuse to accept it. But it is tempting, oh yes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:13 pm
Niphz
Yes, tempted by religion. Because I see it as.. something people use to comfort themselves, to make the world less random and to console themselves that there is a method behind the madness and mostly to alleviate the fear of death that is inherent in human nature. That's what I'm tempted by - the comfort, the security of knowing that it's not the end. It seems so easy, "if you 'believe' then you will have the answer to everything and all will be fine", but then.. it requires going against the concepts which I have formed for myself from independent thinking inside my head and just randomly - I dunno - believing in something which doesn't actually have any logical basis. Which is why - for now - I refuse to accept it. But it is tempting, oh yes.

i agree with this as well xd  

chink-e

dazziOs

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:54 pm

@ Mihiko: I pray a lot I guess...
    Mainly because I'm paranoid about bad stuff happening to me. D:

*~ International Chinese Unite ~*

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers