Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Would you buy this book?
  Yes
  No
View Results

churrlo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:40 am
I was in the airport the other day and I saw this new book by Tolkien that his son finished for him (much like the Simarillion). It was called The Children of Hurin or something along the sorts. I was looking at it and it seemed very interesting! It's apparently set in the First Age and deals with the sad story of his children who fell in love and were finally killed by Morgoth. Anyone heard about this? ^^  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:19 am
I think I heard something about it awhile back, but just that it might be coming out. I'm definately going to have to take a look for it.  

Tears of the Siren

Khorkalba

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:27 am

I have, yes. 3nodding I still haven't got through HoME yet though,
so this will have to wait.
Though in saying that, this seems like it might follow on nicely from Unfinished Tales...

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 10:23 am
I had an opportunity to hold a copy in my hands for about 60 seconds, before my friend took it back (she had bought it for her hubby to read first). But from what little I scanned while it was in my possession, it read much like the descriptions from the Silmarillion. I'm hoping it expands that story; I'm excited to have a chance to learn more about First Age happenings...  

Nerienda

sswolfie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:45 pm
I have heard of it, but I haven't been able to read it yet... well, I'll get around to it soon!  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:48 pm
Officer, I sware to drunk;;

Hmm I haven't heard of it yet but I'll most definitely check it out, sounds interesting.

That I am NOT god.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Name Changed from "Tokyo Tenshi-Kun"

Akuma Galactica

-Luthien123-

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 10:32 pm
I heard about that! It was on the news here in Down under. i already have a short versin that i have read in Unfinished Tales. it is really really good! But its really sad as well. So exiting though! and that was only the short version. I am buying it as soon as the full version comes out. Its great!  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:46 pm
I still don't own it but I really want it...  

churrlo

SYFFER

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 11:01 pm
Yes I heard about this a while back and ordered it through my library but I'm on a huge waiting list. When I do get to read it I hope you guys would have too and we could discuss it to bring some life back here.  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:21 pm
I can't find it in bookstores gonk  

churrlo

[Cresenne]
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:46 pm
I'm reading it right now. It's good, and much more in depth then the story from the Silmarillion.

I heart my library.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:00 pm
So maybe you can refresh me... what exactly was their story according to the Simarillion?  

churrlo

[Cresenne]
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:52 pm
Let's see...
After the Nirnaeth, the Easterlings came into Dor-lómin and oppresed the people there. So, for Túrin's safety, Morwen sent him to Doriath. After this she gave birth to Nienor.

Túrin grew up in Doriath as Thingol's foster-son. When he became a man, he was given the Dragon Helm of Dor-lómin and fought with his friend Beleg Cúthalion.

Three years later he came back to Menegroth, dirty and unkempt. Then an elf starting taunting him, and then insulted his mother. So Túrin hurt him. The next day, the elf waylaid Túrin and attacked him. Túrin overpowered him, and sent him to run naked through the woods. The elf tried to jump over a stream, but fell and died. More elves came and told him to go back to Menegroth to recieve the king's judgement. Túrin refused, and became an outlaw. However, Thingol did pardon him and sent Beleg to look for him.

Beleg eventually found Túrin, who was now the captain of an outlaw band. Beleg tried to persuade Túrin to return to Doriath, but Túrin would not. Beleg left and returned to Menegroth, where he told Thingol of all that had happened, and was given by Thingol and Melian a black sword and lembas.

After Beleg left, Túrin searched for a safe place fo the outlaws. They chanced upon the Petty-Dwarf Mîm, and he reluctantly gave them the use of his house, upon a hilltop. And so they lived there.

When winter came, Beleg returned to Túrin with the Dragon Helm and lembas. Beleg once again tried to persuade Túrin to go to Doriath, but Túrin would not. Beleg stay with the outlaws. Túrin put on the Dragon Helm and rumors of him came to Morgoth, and he sent spies.

Some of those spies captured Mîm when he was gathering food, and he showed them the way to his dwelling. The outlaws were slain and Túrin taken captive, but Beleg lived.

Beleg therefore followed the Orcs to Angband. Near there he met Gwindor of Nargothrond, who had been taken captive by Morgoth in the Nirnaeth. Together they crept into the Orc encampment and found Túrin and carried him to a dell. There Beleg drew his sword to cut Túrin's bonds, but accidentally pricked his foot, and Túrin woke and slew Beleg.

Túrin grieved mightly for Beleg. They buried him, and Túrin took Beleg's sword and lembas. He was healed of his grief at the pools of Ivrin, and he and Gwindor went to Nargothrond.

They were accepted into Nargothrond and Túrin once again became renowned, though he did not wear the Dragon Helm. For this, the love of Finduilas, daughter of the king, was turned from Gwindor to Túrin.

Túrin longed for open warfare, and he persuaded the king to build a bridge across the Narog, and to war openly. And the power of Morgoth was stemmed. Therefore, Morwen and Nienor journeyed to Doriath, but Túrin was not to be found.

Henceforth messengars came from Cirdan bearing Ulmo's message, to stay hidden and destroy the bridge, but Túrin would not allow this. Then the dragon Glaurung and a host of Orcs came to Nargothrond. There, the king and Gwindor died, but Gwindor with his last breath bade Túrin to save Finduilas.

Túrin rushed back to Nargothrond, which was being sacked, but was stopped by Glaurung, who put him under a spell, and told him that Morwen and Nienor were thralls in Dor-lómin. Meanwhile, Finduilas was taken captive.

Released from the spell, Túrin hurried to Dor-lómin, but his family was nowhere to be found. He learned from a kinswoman that they had fled to Doriath, but he did not go there.

He went instead to Brethil, where he learned that Finduilas had been slain, and he fell into grief near death. Eventually he was healed.

To Doriath came news of Nargothrond and Túrin, and Morwen and Nienor with a guard set out to find him. But Glaurung knew they had come, and waylaid them and set a spell upon Nienor, so that she forgot even her own name. Then the captain of the guard found her, and led her towards Doriath, but Orcs waylaid them, and she fled to Brethil.

Then Túrin found her upon Finduilas' grave, and called her Níniel. She was tended by the woman of Brethil and a man named Brandir, and she became able to speak. Brandir loved her, but she loved Túrin.

Túrin then married her, and she conceived. Orcs came to Brethil, and Túrin took up his sword and destroyed then. News came to Glaurung of Túrin. Glaurung then went to Brethil, and Túrin went to slay him.

But Níniel followed him, though Brandir tried to dissuade her, but failed, and he followed her.

Túrin drew his sword and dealt Glaurung the death-blow. But drawing his sword out venom fell onto his hand, and Glaurung smote him with his gaze. Túrin lay as one dead.

Brandir then found Níniel and tried to persuade her to go back. But she would not, and they went to where Glaurung lay, and Níniel wept for her husband. Then Glaurung spoke and revealed to Nienor who she was and who Túrin was. And Nienor cast herself over the cliff.

Brandir went back to the people and told them that Nienor, Túrin and Glaurung were dead. But Túrin came back, and Brandir told him what that Níniel was dead and that she was his sister. Túrin accused Brandir of lying, slew him, and fled to Finduilas' grave.

There the captain of Morwen's guard found him, having heard that Glaurung was in Brethil. Túrin bade him tell of Morwen and Nienor and he told him. Then Túrin fled to where Glaurung's body was, and killed himself upon his sword.

The captain and the men of Brethil burned Glaurung and buried Túrin.

Sorry about the length. sweatdrop

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 10:50 am
The length is fine xd It's certainly helped refresh my entire memory! What a tragic story though gonk I REALLY want to read that book now xd I might have to order it online Amazon or something when I finish Harry Potter blaugh It's so sad... yet it must be an amazing story biggrin I wanna read it crying

Thanks for posting so much ^_^  

churrlo

[Cresenne]
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:56 pm
Eh, I got it at my library.
It is amazing.

Atalantë - A new beginning

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash