Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild
This is it! [Hawk finally stumbles upon a novel idea] Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

BlackHawkGS

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:41 pm
I about screamed when I thought it up. IT'S PERFECT!

Ok, so I'll get you all up to date (since you're
dying to know.) I scrapped my previous novel idea. Completely ditched it. I thought it over WAY too much and started thinking the thing was crap. Eventually, it was just shoved out the window. I might jump out and grab it at a later date... but for now, it's gone.

So I started thinking about a new idea. For some reason, I had this obsession with picturing a man sitting in a desert, beer in hand. Ok... so I worked from there and eventually developed this idea.

I don't have a title right now, but I'm fairly sure something will come to me soon. I'll explain the main idea after this. Enjoy.

*~*~*~*~*

Prologue

Warning to all of you that don’t possess a burning desire to be cursed: Don’t rub genie lamps without first consulting a contents label. And now you’re thinking “well wait a damn second, Skye. Genie lamps have genies in them, right? And aren’t genies sort of a good thing?”

Well not if you get an anti-genie. Stop looking at me like that. Yes, I said anti-genie. As in one that binds your soul to them to do their bidding to the end of your days. And, mind you, I’d prefer to do other things than hunting down magic swords for this supernatural Arabian.

You see, I use to be a pretty normal guy. Well… normal to an extent. I’m an archaeologist, one of those people that run around to ancient ruins to discover their deep dark secrets. I’m a little different in the respect that I don’t fear much. As in, people will warn me about certain booby traps that the Mayans, Egyptians or whoever set in place, but I’ll just sort of… well, risk it. Some call it courage. Others call it bravery. But most just say I’m a moron. I’m almost positive the risk-taking part of my brain wasn’t fully developed, which can likely be linked to my dad. Crazy mofo…

Oh ya, my life. So I get this call from one of colleagues, Jeff. He’s says “Skye you gotta see this one! We discovered a completely new tomb after a sandstorm in Egypt the other day, and it’s HUGE!” And archaeologists frickin’ love Egypt.

So I fly over and check out this tomb. Alright, alright, pretty cool. Really big and had a few characters in the hieroglyphic system we hadn’t identified yet. Awesome. Sweet. Looks splendid.

That’s when I find it. The anti-genie lamp.

Too bad I didn’t have that information before I screwed around.

“Hey guys, look!” I jumped onto the raised platform that held forth somehow-still-shiny lamp. “A genie lamp! Three wishes, pretty please!”

And I rubbed it.

That was bad.

Next thing I knew, I was shrouded in black mist. A man (or at least I’m assuming that’s what it is) draped in a huge black cloak walked out of the mist. There was this really crazy design in red all over the cloak and it definitely wasn’t your typical run-of-the-mill genie stuff.

“Um… hi?”

And thus began my grand friendship (sarcasm) with Requ, the anti-genie.

*~*~*~*~*

... something only I could think up, eh? Well that's the introduction and about all the introduction the reader gets. The rest is explained as the story goes on. A style of explaining things that I've always favored in writing.

Basically, Requ sort of has control over Skye and needs him to find this super-powerful sword, Ragnarok. Ya, that name is kinda used a lot. But, for certain reasons, it fit perfectly.

Requ will start sending Skye to different worlds in search of this sword. Desert worlds, ocean worlds, forest worlds, etc. The catch? The only help Skye gets is a rifle with 20 bullets and a headset so Requ can give him a few directions.

And... ya. That's the gist of how it'll go. Skye's personality is going to be a blast to develop, since I'll sort of be using a mix of my two imaginary characters (yes, that'd be Brian and Spyke, for those that read my crazy stuff in the guild.) He'll have Brian's absent-mindedness and energy mixed with a little of Spyke's maturity to make... my ideal character. biggrin

I'm 20 pages in already. I ain't quittin' this one folks.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:39 pm
again, this looks like its animated in my mind. This time it has a Non Sequitor comic-strip feel to it.  

NovaKing

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:54 pm
Watch "Galaxy Quest" rescently? -cue the giant rock creature with no face- lol.

Anyways.. Only thing that I really did not like in this was the little quick think discription of his dad.. "Crazy mofo..." It seemed too juvenile for the character that you plan to develop.  
PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:58 pm
yEs! super yes! I love it! PICK ME!!!

And I WAS dying to know, actually. Unlike SOME people, I actually care abhout other people's novels. stare *coughrememberAmetris?cough*

Just kidding, I luff you Hawkie. heart

But you gotta read my frikkin' novel sometime. I wroter FOUR chapters this week! That's 26k words! GO ME!  

KirbyVictorious

xXxFollowMexXx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 8:05 pm
I dig it.. for some reason it reminds me of Max Barry and I don't even know why...  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 4:52 pm
Grammar nazi time! Everything in red I've changed.

Warning to all of you that don’t possess a burning desire to be cursed: Don’t rub genie lamps without first consulting a contents label. And now you’re thinking “well wait a damn second, Skye. Genie lamps have genies in them, right? And aren’t genies sort of a good thing?”

Well not if you get an anti-genie. Stop looking at me like that. Yes, I said anti-genie. As in, one that binds your soul to them to do their bidding to the end of your days. And, mind you, I’d prefer to do other things than hunting down magic swords for this supernatural Arabian.

You see, I used to be a pretty normal guy. Well… normal to an extent. I’m an archaeologist, one of those people that run around to ancient ruins to discover their deep dark secrets. I’m a little different in the respect that I don’t fear much. People will warn me about certain booby traps that the Mayans, Egyptians or whoever set in place, but I’ll just sort of… well, risk it. Some call it courage. Others call it bravery. But most just say I’m a moron. I’m almost positive the risk-taking part of my brain wasn’t fully developed, which can likely be linked to my dad. Crazy mofo…

Oh yeah, my life. So I get this call from one of colleagues, Jeff. He’s says: “Skye you gotta see this one! We discovered a completely new tomb after a sandstorm in Egypt the other day, and it’s HUGE!” Archaeologists frickin’ love Egypt.

So I fly over and check out this tomb. All right, all right, pretty cool. Really big and had a few characters in the hieroglyphic system we hadn’t identified yet. Awesome. Sweet. Looks splendid.

“Hey guys, look!” I jumped onto the raised platform that held forth somehow-still-shiny lamp. “A genie lamp! Three wishes, pretty please!”

And I rubbed it.

That was bad.

Next thing I knew, I was shrouded in black mist. A man (or at least I’m assuming that’s what it was) draped in a huge black cloak walked out of the mist. There was this really crazy design in red all over the cloak and it definitely wasn’t your typical run-of-the-mill genie stuff.

“Um… hi?”

Also, watch yer tenses. You change a bunch. Past or present, stick with one.

Okay, now that that's over.

I like this idea a lot. I think the character sounds a bit immature in the prolouge, but I don't know if that's the way you want him to be or not. Just thought I'd point it out.

Spastic waffles
Captain

NovaKing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:16 pm
Spastic waffles
Grammar nazi time! Everything in red I've changed.

Well not if you get an anti-genie. Stop looking at me like that. Yes, I said anti-genie. As in, one that binds your soul to them to do their bidding to the end of your days. And, mind you, I’d prefer to do other things than hunting down magic swords for this supernatural Arabian.

You see, I used to be a pretty normal guy. Well… normal to an extent. I’m an archaeologist, one of those people that run around to ancient ruins to discover their deep dark secrets. I’m a little different in the respect that I don’t fear much. People will warn me about certain booby traps that the Mayans, Egyptians or whoever set in place, but I’ll just sort of… well, risk it. Some call it courage. Others call it bravery. But most just say I’m a moron. I’m almost positive the risk-taking part of my brain wasn’t fully developed, which can likely be linked to my dad. Crazy mofo…

Oh yeah, my life. So I get this call from one of colleagues, Jeff. He’s says: “Skye you gotta see this one! We discovered a completely new tomb after a sandstorm in Egypt the other day, and it’s HUGE!” Archaeologists frickin’ love Egypt.

So I fly over and check out this tomb. All right, all right, pretty cool. Really big and had a few characters in the hieroglyphic system we hadn’t identified yet. Awesome. Sweet. Looks splendid.

And I rubbed it.

That was bad.

Next thing I knew, I was shrouded in black mist. A man (or at least I’m assuming that’s what it was) draped in a huge black cloak walked out of the mist. There was this really crazy design in red all over the cloak and it definitely wasn’t your typical run-of-the-mill genie stuff.

“Um… hi?”

Also, watch yer tenses. You change a bunch. Past or present, stick with one.

Okay, now that that's over.

I like this idea a lot. I think the character sounds a bit immature in the prolouge, but I don't know if that's the way you want him to be or not. Just thought I'd point it out.

yeah I agree with tak-jak and Waffles. In-fact I held my toung for the very reason stated by waffles.

[hehe I really didn't feel like playing the devil's advocate, so thanks tak-jak and waffles.]  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:18 pm
KirbyVictorious
yEs! super yes! I love it! PICK ME!!!

And I WAS dying to know, actually. Unlike SOME people, I actually care abhout other people's novels. stare *coughrememberAmetris?cough*

Just kidding, I luff you Hawkie. heart

But you gotta read my frikkin' novel sometime. I wroter FOUR chapters this week! That's 26k words! GO ME!

Kirbs! go put some sun glasses on.

[for those looking back on this: everyone but kirbs had/has sunglasses on in the thred but her at the time or at the moment.]  

NovaKing

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:12 pm
NEVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR!!!

(I don't have any. ): )  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:24 pm
Yay, responses! Ok, here we go:

@JakAttack:
Galaxy Quest? I've heard of it... haven't seen it though sweatdrop . And ya, that one-liner about his dad was actually added in at the last second, primarily since I'm still unsure about how I'm doing a few things in that subplot. Does that really sound too juvenile? Hmmm... kinda does I suppose...

@Kirby:
You care about my story!? I LOVE YOU KIRBY heart heart

And yes, I'm reading Ametris. Have you ever played a Gamecube game called Tales of Symphonia before? That game starts out very similar to how your story starts... (elves in a classroom being taught about an ancient war.)

@Spastic Waffles:
Well, guess someone has to be the grammar nazi... sweatdrop

Much thanks for the editing. The past and present switching is more than likely because I already wrote 20 pages of my other book in the present and I was sort of... well, in the mode for present tense xd And yes, he suppose to be a little immature. Maybe a little more of a smartalec than immature... but that's the general idea.

@NihilisticExistence:
Uhh... don't know him. sweatdrop  

BlackHawkGS

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:10 pm
...Actually, yes, I beat ToS. And it was a pretty sucky RPG, but good storyline. I might have stolen a few ideas... sweatdrop Like the Giant Tree, that certainly wasn't there in the original version of Ametris...

...but that version sucked anyway. wink

I tried to rewrite the first chapter, 'cause I felt like it, but it didn't happen. So...yeah.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:57 pm
Ugh.. I couldn't play Tales of Symphonia. It annoyed me sooo sooo sooo much. They way the battles were set up, just irked me something major.  

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

KirbyVictorious

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:23 am
I KNOW!!! GAH. It was like, ooh, we ran into a shapeless bloby thing! Let's kill it! We can run away if we want to, but really we should be using our girly magic and stamina points until we all die! 4laugh Oh, don't worry, your stamina grows if you kill EVERY SINGLE ENEMY three times per area...yes it does! You just gotta KILL MORE STUFF!!!

I got a (ex)(boy)friend to download a few cheats on there...I got infinite items, health, etc. SO I COULD ACTUALLY PLAY THE FERKING GAME!!! GAH!

The ending was cool though.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:36 pm
It was a waste of a freakin 50!

I was so excited about it too...

stare  

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

lidless_i

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:47 pm
Well, at first the idea of an anti-genie kind of threw me off an made me not want to read it... mainly because djinns (sp?) as originally conceived were evil on their own (I think) but the concept of traveling to other worlds changed my mind in a hurry. I'm a sucker for that kind of thing, so I'm looking forward to this.  
Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff