Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Anyone hear about that new PBS documentary...? Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pmyi

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:35 pm
PBs is airing a documentary soon claiming that the Founding Fathers didn't intend a separation between Church and State.

Link here.

I'm curious what you guys think about this.

Once again, if this doesn't belong here, tell me and I'll delete it. :')  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 2:50 pm
wtf PBS? D;  

EmmaRaikou

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 3:58 pm
Hmmmm....

Firstly, it is not something new. People, particularly certain kinds of overzealous theists really want thier way. They want it so badly that they'll do almost anything to try to get it. That does, can, and will involve taking something that is a road-block, perverting that road-block, and then twisting it to make it into something it isn't.

The constitution, Thomas Jefferson and his idea of a seperation of Church and State, the Declaration of Independance....these are all texts that get perverted all the time to serve the need of the one perverting it.

Now it seems, that people are trying to rewrite the history behind the text, in a way that supports their radical views. As I said in another post elsewhere, don't get too fired up. America...may be full of theists, but America isn't full of idiots. Zealots are far and few...good for us, bad for them.

If PBS airs that thing...well, what is there to care? PBS went down the drain years ago... stare

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:59 pm
psh PBS... thats why they air lame a** underproduced shows.  

Alexander Blair

Cirosan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:19 pm
PBS says they're only airing the documentary to promote a "diversity of viewpoints."

Alright. Let me explain something to ya, PBS...

"Diversity of viewpoints" means airing, say, a pro-choice documentary as well as a pro-life one, not an anti-America documentary and a pro-America one.

As for you, zealots, allow me to explain something to you as well...

You can interpret Constitutional law a lot of ways. Justice David Souter interpreted the Establishment Clause as, "government should not prefer one religion to another, or religion to irreligion." That's reasonable. But when I show you a letter from Thomas Jefferson, one of the founding fathers, that reads, "...I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between church and State..."" it's not reasonable to conclude it says, "State and church should be separated, except for fundamentalist Christianity, which should be completely integrated with the State."  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:53 am
I think that documentary is complete bull but a bunch of people will probably believe it crying

And uh, Sanguvixen... America actually is full of idiots = sweatdrop  

Habible

Dapper Conversationalist

3,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Generous 100

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:49 am
Habible
I think that documentary is complete bull but a bunch of people will probably believe it crying

You'd be surprised at how many of us aren't, my friend. As an atheist, I'd imagine you get pretty irked when people make sweeping generalizations about us. It's just a shame we have an idiot representing us...half of America are, in fact, idiots, and unfortunately, they get the most media attention.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:40 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Habible

You'd be surprised at how many of us aren't, my friend. As an atheist, I'd imagine you get pretty irked when people make sweeping generalizations about us. It's just a shame we have an idiot representing us...half of America are, in fact, idiots, and unfortunately, they get the most media attention.

Is it any wonder that so much airtime is given to idiots? They're entertaining to watch, and they make the rest of us feel smart and forget about our own problems - the media's way of saying "no matter what you're doing, it's always okay."

Intelligent people, on the other hand, are booooring. Only because 100 million idiots just can't be wrong. XD  

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

Eaten By Cheese

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:33 am
I think that's wrong. Television shows should not take one-sided views on religion. Should they wish to do something of this sort, shouldn't they at least represent our opinion, as well?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 4:35 pm
You know, really, I'm okay with tv shows showing a sole opinion. If a person wants a different opinion they can watch a different show.

I care more about veracity of facts and quality of production, because even a strong argument seems easy to dismiss if it's poorly presented.  

Theophrastus

Sanguvixen

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:11 pm
Habible

It is not that America is full of idiots. It is just that...well it is like someone I know once said. "Remember, 90% of people are actually unconscious". I think that is somewhat true.

Much percieved idiocy is a direct result of people being afraid of saying what they really believe. There are people out there who are 100% against creationism and ID, but they preach it anyway lest they get branded a heratic, and loose any chance of reaching thier goals.

I know people are 100% okay with various things, like gays, goths, furries, bisexuals...and so on. But...they won't go out and say it because of how people around them will react. Unfortunately PBS is in no place to refuse religiously motivated dog-crap...because they can't afford to lose thier viewers, many of which are religious. It's amazing really, how refusing to air religious dogma makes people liken you with the devil, and with atheism, and godlessness.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:17 pm
Theophrastus
You know, really, I'm okay with tv shows showing a sole opinion. If a person wants a different opinion they can watch a different show.

I care more about veracity of facts and quality of production, because even a strong argument seems easy to dismiss if it's poorly presented.

I'm all for having strong opinions, and what-not, but one cannot pretend that many of these religiously motivated programs that are cropping up on the television are not only strong on opinion, but weak in fact and quality.

There is nothing worse(in my opinion), than a person or group of people that have strong opinions on a topic they ill understand.

Sanguvixen

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:07 pm
OMFG, I want to smack them all.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:45 am
Sanguvixen
Hmmmm....

Firstly, it is not something new. People, particularly certain kinds of overzealous theists really want thier way. They want it so badly that they'll do almost anything to try to get it. That does, can, and will involve taking something that is a road-block, perverting that road-block, and then twisting it to make it into something it isn't.

The constitution, Thomas Jefferson and his idea of a seperation of Church and State, the Declaration of Independance....these are all texts that get perverted all the time to serve the need of the one perverting it.

Now it seems, that people are trying to rewrite the history behind the text, in a way that supports their radical views. As I said in another post elsewhere, don't get too fired up. America...may be full of theists, but America isn't full of idiots. Zealots are far and few...good for us, bad for them.

If PBS airs that thing...well, what is there to care? PBS went down the drain years ago... stare

Well-said.
Who watches PBS anyway aside from the cripples?  

Marki2k7

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 10:07 am
Marki2k7
Sanguvixen
Hmmmm....

Well-said.
Who watches PBS anyway aside from the cripples?

Just so that you're aware, that's a disgusting comment.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff