Welcome to Gaia! ::

Infinite possibilities-A writer's guild

Back to Guilds

This is a writer's guild where all can gather for feedback and advice on all mediums of writing. Plus it's a great place for conversation. 

Tags: Writing, Writer, Writer's Block, Critiques, Friends 

Reply Writing Contests/Games
Didactic Prose. [ A Writing Contest.]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

NovaKing

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:41 pm
Have any of you ever seen a movie, or read a book, where a certain character relates his or her problems to another character, only to have their question answered by an analogous tale? I'd be suprised if you haven't. Between you and me, I never really baught those situations. The analogous story was always too conviently similar to have been an actual tale. At one point in my recent youth ( not but a few years back.) I suspected that the character that the other character had gone to for answers had simply made up the story for convienience to make their answer sound viable. Wether this is true or not I cannot say, but it has given me an idea for a writing contest.

To kick off the fresh summer season, I'm going to host a prompt contest. I will post a prompt in the form of a dialog of some sort, where a character of my choosing will tell you about his or her problems. Upon which you, Instead of telling this person what they should do up-front, will recount to them a didactic tale that ultimately solves that person’s problems. More importantly the tale will be one that you made up on the spot.

points will be awarded for how well you answer this person’s question through the story and then for creativity. There are no restrictions on the type of prose used nor its length.

..And you'll have to give me a night to come up with a promt because Im tired right now sweatdrop

So lets start with something easy, shall we?

The first piano I ever heard was at a concert my mom dragged me to when I was very little. It hadn't been life changing but it had been interesting all the same. From that instant onward, I retained a mild interest in all music classical. It was never really the instruments that I was transfixed on, it was the peaceful melodies that transpired from them. The songs sung by popular singers seemed all too simple to me. I needed something complex, when a song was played it needed to sooth and make me think. Anyway, We got a piano last year and now its just sitting here untouched. My parents even bought me a few music text books when we first got them. I refused to take lessons when I could just learn it cheap from a book. But it’s been a year now and I still don't know how to play those soothing melodies that I've always loved to listen to. I know I want to, but something deep inside me seems to insist that other things are more important then my wants. What am I to do?

[It seems like we'll be needing an entrance fee of one thousand for this one. (Heh) sorry guys.] [I'm poor but I'll still throw in two thousand.]

[does anyone know how that works by chance? I already have the trading pass and the vending pass...]  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:53 am
You keep it yourself and other people send you the trade with their money. When the contest is over, you dole it out. Simple.  

Voxxx

NovaKing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:11 am
alright.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:58 am
Hmm. The entry fee shall be the prize money? Or just a donation into your pocket? Also, it may help to post estimated length (so you are not stuck reading novels), the end of the contest, and also are you the only judge?

You may want to get some of your friends (best not from this guild) to read the entries so this contest is unbiased. But that is nothing but a suggestion.

But I shall look into this.  

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

NovaKing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:50 pm
Tak-Jak
Hmm. The entry fee shall be the prize money? Or just a donation into your pocket? Also, it may help to post estimated length (so you are not stuck reading novels), the end of the contest, and also are you the only judge?

You may want to get some of your friends (best not from this guild) to read the entries so this contest is unbiased. But that is nothing but a suggestion.

But I shall look into this.

Sorry the entry fee (plus two thousand from me) will be the prize money. sweatdrop

[Im not into gaia gold silly.]

Hmm I dont have any writing friends outside of this place....I pretty sure im not going to be biased in my judging though.... (I dont hold grudges and I dont pick favorites.)

Ermm...How about a four thousand word limit? That sounds reasonable wouldn't you say?  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:09 pm
And a minimum? Sorry I am a stickler for guildlines.  

Tak-Jak
Vice Captain

NovaKing

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:15 pm
Tak-Jak
And a minimum? Sorry I am a stickler for guildlines.

two hundred would be the minimum I suppose. Im not all that worried about the length to tell you the truth. A story is as long as it needs to be.  
Writing Contests/Games

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games