Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
So I'm going to UC Berkeley

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:54 pm
and I was looking through their student groups... countless Christian organizations, none that matched when I searched for "atheist," "atheism," "humanism," "bright."

For shame, Cal. For shame.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:49 pm
Well, then start one.

xD

Just make sure it doesn't just mirror the attitude that some other religious student groups have, that they're the best of all just because of what they believe, and they have to pick fights or be oversensitive toward the others.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:54 pm
Funny... did you try searching "freethought" or "freethinking?" You'd think a school like Berkeley, with its history of student activism and exclusive admissions policy, would have at least developed something like a Freethinkers' Group.

If not... then shame indeed. But if you insist on being part of an atheist group, then you could always follow Writer's suggestion and start one yourself. In a school like Berkeley, I'm sure you won't have much trouble finding people who would at least show some interest in the concept.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 6:38 pm
I'm surprised that Berkeley doesn't have one.  

Jessica Malatori

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 7:23 pm
My college (Youngstown State University) doesn't have one, but there aren't a whole lot of religious organizations on campus either. I've thought about getting seven other people to form an atheist student organization, as per the requirements for forming one, but I would be at a loss to figure out what the hell to do at meetings.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:35 pm
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
Hah, I just came back from orientation, and I commented on how there are a bunch of student organizations for religions, but none for atheists.

Some girl said "I didn't think atheism was a religion," to which I had to explain that an atheist group wouldn't fit anywhere else but under religion.

"Hey guys, come join the Atheist Language Club!"

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

The MoUsY spell-checker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:28 am
According to the CFI on Campus site, there's a "Society for A Nonreligious Ethos" (SANE) at Berkeley, and it is affiliated with CFI.

I've looked through USyd's student groups, and there definitely isn't one for atheism / humanism /freethinkers etc. However, the EU (Evangelical Union) is the largest group on campus. So, I'm in a similar situation.

Before anyone suggests that I start an atheist group, I'm a very disorganised person, so I wouldn't make a good group leader. I would also have the same problem of not having any idea what to do at meetings.  
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 4:01 am
Quote:
I would also have the same problem of not having any idea what to do at meetings.

Get drunk, get nekkid, and invite yourselves to the religious group's meetings?

ninja  

Redem

Arios V

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:24 pm
Try using different keywords. If not start your own organization or something.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:15 am
Heh, someone may make an AFU (Atheists and Freethinkers United) at a university I'm looking into...  

Death God Hitsugaya

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:05 pm
I've got it! It doesn't have to be a student organization that does something, per se...but it could very well be one dedicated to raising awareness of what atheism is really about, and hopefully do our part to clear up misconceptions of atheism in general. I think it could work, but...I have no idea how to lead a group, so I'm hoping someone else at my university picks up on it.  
The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games