Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Bible and Sex Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 6:30 pm
I was browsing through Fark, and found this.

Basically, it's interesting to me to see just how much of the Bible we don't see because of theists focusing on the parts that make it look good. What are your thoughts?  
PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 7:39 pm
I like when the lover's teeth are described as a flock of sheep.

Because sheep were brown and gray, then.  

Theophrastus

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 12:48 am
Wow my mind has been like blown man.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:37 pm
It would suprise me more if the bible prohibited sex. I mean it would disprove intellegent design in half a second, "God doesn't want us to have sex? Then what the hell did he make THAT for?  

God of lunchboxes

Jessica Malatori

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:14 pm
What an interesting article... I knew some stuff like that was in the Bible... just didn't know the extent of it lol.  
PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:47 pm
Shedra Helix
It would suprise me more if the bible prohibited sex. I mean it would disprove intellegent design in half a second, "God doesn't want us to have sex? Then what the hell did he make THAT for?

I've heard "Thou shalt not commit adultery" as reason not to have premarital sex. I wish I was joking too, but I'm not. Basically, Christians have all sorts of silly restrictions on sex, many of which are not even in the Bible. And yet God's chosen, like Lot, are apparently allowed to have a go with their daughters. Nasty.

Atheists have more fun. wink  

ProjectOmicron88

God of lunchboxes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:12 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Shedra Helix
It would suprise me more if the bible prohibited sex. I mean it would disprove intellegent design in half a second, "God doesn't want us to have sex? Then what the hell did he make THAT for?"

I've heard "Thou shalt not commit adultery" as reason not to have premarital sex. I wish I was joking too, but I'm not. Basically, Christians have all sorts of silly restrictions on sex, many of which are not even in the Bible. And yet God's chosen, like Lot, are apparently allowed to have a go with their daughters. Nasty.

Incest? For the love of whatever God/ creative force, pick one generation and stick with it you bastards!  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:08 pm
Shedra Helix
ProjectOmicron88
Shedra Helix
It would suprise me more if the bible prohibited sex. I mean it would disprove intellegent design in half a second, "God doesn't want us to have sex? Then what the hell did he make THAT for?"

Incest? For the love of whatever God/ creative force, pick one generation and stick with it you bastards!

I've taken up the habit of saying things like "Sweet Cthulhu, you're stupid!" or something like that. (Not you, just using it as an example. sweatdrop )

The short-lived sci-fi series Firefly has a good one too: "Gorram it!"  

ProjectOmicron88

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:45 pm
I'm mad at myself because I can't find the video that's perfect for this. "Why is sex bad?" is what I thought it was called, but searches yield nothing for it or similar. If any of you find it, post - it's hilarious, creepy and appropriate.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:19 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Shedra Helix

actually most Christians put rules on sex that dont exist on the bible as you said. and its ridiculous.

sex isnt bad. in fact God created it for us to enjoy. but mainly to "bear fruit" and have children. but its set for those married first, and THEN have sex when they want.

also not to commit adultery. i think thats a perfectly legitimate rule. i mean just look at all the cheaters out there. disgusts me that they hide behind their lovers back and then get caught and try to lie about it.

the main things with sex in the bible are this in a nutshell:

1)dont commit adultery
2)sex only after marriage
3) no premarital sex (this is a good warning lesson because most people rush into sex without knowing the person. what if they're just after the sex even after dating them for so long? waiting till marriage can show a person's character. its not a bad thing, its a good warning.)

purpose of sex:

1)pleasure (the obvious one)
2)for reproduction

but theres one other rule is the problem with lust. in the bible, lust is a sin, and sex can tie in with that or add to the problem of lusting. depends on the situation.

regarding the book Song of Songs, many many conservative christians i think want to overlook it because its in a way promoting the happiness and joy of sex, encouraging people to do it i guess. i dont know why people get so hyped up on this issue. as long as it is not premarital or adultery or causes you to lust, then its fine. nothing wrong with it.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:40 am
SaintChaos
ProjectOmicron88
Shedra Helix

actually most Christians put rules on sex that dont exist on the bible as you said. and its ridiculous.

sex isnt bad. in fact God created it for us to enjoy. but mainly to "bear fruit" and have children. but its set for those married first, and THEN have sex when they want.

also not to commit adultery. i think thats a perfectly legitimate rule. i mean just look at all the cheaters out there. disgusts me that they hide behind their lovers back and then get caught and try to lie about it.

1)dont commit adultery
3) no premarital sex (this is a good warning lesson because most people rush into sex without knowing the person. what if they're just after the sex even after dating them for so long? waiting till marriage can show a person's character. its not a bad thing, its a good warning.)

purpose of sex:

2)for reproduction

but theres one other rule is the problem with lust. in the bible, lust is a sin, and sex can tie in with that or add to the problem of lusting. depends on the situation.

regarding the book Song of Songs, many many conservative christians i think want to overlook it because its in a way promoting the happiness and joy of sex, encouraging people to do it i guess. i dont know why people get so hyped up on this issue. as long as it is not premarital or adultery or causes you to lust, then its fine. nothing wrong with it.

I got a pamphlet on premarital sex once (I discussed this in another topic). Basically, there was not a single passage cited that said someone is not allowed to have premarital sex. Extramarital sex was forbidden, but adultery is generally not a good idea, so I agree with that. I figure as long as you use protection, it's fine.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:43 am
ProjectOmicron88
SaintChaos
ProjectOmicron88
Shedra Helix

1)dont commit adultery

purpose of sex:

2)for reproduction

I got a pamphlet on premarital sex once (I discussed this in another topic). Basically, there was not a single passage cited that said someone is not allowed to have premarital sex. Extramarital sex was forbidden, but adultery is generally not a good idea, so I agree with that. I figure as long as you use protection, it's fine.

usually i have no problem with quoting verses but since im in a different type of guild....do you WANT me to post a verse that talks about premarital sex? if not then ill just leave the subject silent. just dont want to step on any toes here smile  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:33 pm
SaintChaos
ProjectOmicron88
SaintChaos
ProjectOmicron88
Shedra Helix

1)dont commit adultery

purpose of sex:

2)for reproduction

usually i have no problem with quoting verses but since im in a different type of guild....do you WANT me to post a verse that talks about premarital sex? if not then ill just leave the subject silent. just dont want to step on any toes here smile

If you wouldn't mind, go ahead. I'm curious to see that myself.  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:57 am
Quote:
If you wouldn't mind, go ahead. I'm curious to see that myself.

all righty. ill see what i can find but not now @_@.......zzzzzzzzzzz tired.....shizbucket its 2am...ugh i think ill sleepies....but not until i watch some Fushigi Yuugi first lol <3 Tamahome xD  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:25 pm
First lets look at the definition of fornication which is right on dictionary.com
Quote:

Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source
for·ni·ca·tion /ˌfɔrnɪˈkeɪʃən/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[fawr-ni-key-shuhn] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. voluntary sexual intercourse between two unmarried persons or two persons not married to each other.

now that thats clear, here are some verses that talk against fornication.

Hebrews 13:4 Let marriage be held in honor among all, and let the marriage bed be undefiled; for fornicators and adulterers God will judge.

this is the main verse that talks about it but there are other verses that also consider it either a sin or just distasteful and among the many desires of the flesh.

Galatians 5: 16 But I say, walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out the desire of the flesh. 17 For the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, so that you may not do the things that you please. 18 But if you are led by the Spirit, you are not under the Law. 19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, sorcery, enmities, strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, disputes, dissensions, factions, 21 envying, drunkenness, drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you just as I have forewarned you that those who practice such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.

and yet there are many more verses that see it in a distasteful light or about sexual immorality in general. i can post them if you want me to.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff