4g needles - getting repierced. Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aetherna

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 11:00 am
The information:

My lobes were giving me significant problems; the only way I have been able to heal them is to completely remove the jewelry. I took out the jewelry approximately 2 weeks ago, and healing is going well smile

My plan is to have my lobes re-pierced; I know that needles are manufactured at 4g and so I'm hoping to find a parlor that will pierce as such. I do not want my lobes dermal punched.

The skin around my lobes was agitated so that's healing, plus the fistulas are slowly closing (it seems) because there's no jewelry worn and the fistulas themselves were also agitated. I don't want to try and poke jewelry through them to see how closed they are because I don't want to risk opening again.

The questions:

1) Is it a good idea to have my lobes repierced if the fistulas aren't completely closed? As in - could the piercer make sure to pass the needle "through" the fistula without any negative outcome?

2) How long should I wait until having them repierced? I was thinking somewhere past 2 months (let's say mid August) to make sure everything's all calmed down.

3) Is the 4gauge needle something that piercers are leery of? I'm hoping I won't have to go on a hunt to find a piercer that's okay with using such a large gauge.

I feel uncomfortable without my stretched earlobes; I don't feel like the same person to an extent but I will wait until everything is in the green.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 5:13 pm
1. It will be ok to get them repierced by now. As for going exactly where the old piercing is, that will depend on the skill level of the piercer.

2. What is wrong with them that has you wanting to wait so long?

3. YES, it will be a pain to find someone that will pierce you at a 4. My rule is nothing past a 6, I have heard of piercers that don't do past a 10 or 8. It also depends on how well the existing holes heal, what size they were and a number of factors with that. Depending on how smooth the healing turns out, I would pierce them at a 6 and stretch to a 4 in the piercing process.

apanda999

Aetherna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:54 pm
Thanks for the response; I always worry that I write too much and turn people away from answering. gonk

1) I don't know any piercers around here, but I'll make sure to ask questions and look at their portfolios. I don't think they're healed enough now; when I can afford it, they should be A.O.K.

2) My lobes had been agitated for about a year, on and off. I couldn't get a piercer's opinion so the all I could do was read up and try various things. The "final straw" was my lobes becoming irritated, swollen, and the skin was very dry no matter trying the following. The initial jewelry worn was stainless steel and had never given me problems. I downsized (from 2g to 4g) to relieve possible physical stress (weight/diameter) and that didn't help. I wore 16g jewelry, and the metal of course ended up being something that my skin couldn't tolerate. Simple Vitamin E oil rubs did not help on their own. Sea Salt soaks + complete removal of jewelry was the turning point for healing.

The agitation started out so long ago but I did nothing out of the ordinary to have the flareup so I'm generally mystified. It could've been from psychological stress, that's my best guess. They'd been pierced since I was a very young child (probably under 4) and had been stretched and maintained the same gauge for about 2 years without problem until this whole incident.

Now, their healing, but not done. I'd hate to put the stress of forming a new fistula on top of generally having to heal skin.

3) Ah, okay smile If I can find a good piercer, then I'd be happy to agree upon what their general rule of thumb is. I certainly want to wait and see how they are when fully healed. I can't rush this anyways; I probably won't have the money saved until August ><.

Again, thanks for the answers, I really appreciate them!  
PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:01 pm
No problem-o! Let me know how things go for ya!

apanda999

Aetherna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:13 pm
I ought to post an update today; will be too busy tomorrow with family arriving and whatnot!

My lobes are almost fully healed. Left lobe still a bit dry, and right lobe still a bit irritated. It amuses me because the left lobe was so much worse than the right, but has recovered quicker. I'm using Vitamin E oil to help my lobes out.

I need to eventually call a few parlors and ask them a few things:

1) What gauge needle is the largest option for lobe piercings.
2) What initial jewelry is used.
3) Price.

(Anything else, particular to piercing, that I should ask? I know to ask about autoclave, sanitation, etc etc)

The parlors I've tried looking into don't display any prices, in fact their websites (if they have them) are rather unhelpful and generally not informative. : So, I looked at the only website of the only parlor I've been to, and my goodness, prices are costly! I understand that they are a busy and popular place, and the prices were in Canadian Dollar but even still.

I was under the impression that for a standard lobe, say 6gauge needle with CBR jewelry, it'd be $35 per ear. Hopefully I can find an affordable place that does not sacrifice safety and quality in favor of cheap prices for more customers.

-finish rant.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:52 am
Finally, my lobes are all healed. Fistulas are certainly closed, and I now have the dreaded Scar Tissue gonk I hope Vitamin E oil rubs will help that. In the meantime, I'll be in limbo; no money for repiercing and no information from shops. sweatdrop  

Aetherna

dagon is a gloomy bear
Crew

Lonely Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 6:13 pm
Hm, here to get 6g piercings with jewellery, I'd estimate at $50 per ear. Yeah, not cheap. ._.
What's so different about using a needle that big and getting it dermal punched?  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 2:17 pm
Thanks for making me think more about dermal punching, `dagon! Dermal punching removes a circle of flesh. Using a needle only creates a slit for the jewelry to pass through. I do not want to remove flesh because there's less flesh in my lobe.

I know it's not a lot of flesh gone at 6g, but I was hoping to stay away from punches; my only concern about a dermal punch would be the experience of the practitioner. If I could find a skilled piercer, and pending the cost difference, perhaps a dermal punch would not be a bad idea. I don't know how I'd handle the pain - but it'd probably not be as bad as some Claire's employee messing up on a lobe piercing (yes, shame on me, but I was young! x x; ) I also would hope not to bleed too much.

Aside, I was reading BME's QOD archive, and found where Ryan Ouellette talks about punching at 6g, then stretching straight to 2g. If I could find someone skilled, and pending the price difference, perhaps dermal punching would be the way to go.

`dagon, what would you estimate the cost of two lobes being dermal punched at 6g, then tapered straight to 4g or 2g?  

Aetherna

dagon is a gloomy bear
Crew

Lonely Lunatic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:19 pm
I'd say a nice parlour wouldn't charge more for the stretching, but the jewellery might be more expensive. It really depends on where you go though.

Large gauge needles do remove a circle of flesh as well. I've had my back pierced at those gauges and there's a nice little chunk of flesh in the hollow of the needle after, as well as a hole left on my back.

The experience issue is probably the largest issue with getting dermal punched. As for pain. Well, I haven't had my lobe done that large and nerves on the back are different. ._.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 3:17 pm
I was completely unaware of that! Well, I guess then a larger needle or dermal punch would work out the same smile

I think we (husband and I) will be able to stop at the parlor he's had work done at, next week.

Sadly, I doubt I'd be able to be repierced anytime soon unless the entire process would cost under $50, which is highly doubtful. sweatdrop I'm going to go ahead and PM them (myspace, *sigh*), hopefully I'll get a reply from one of the piercers. I think I know enough information now to approach them without looking like a total moron wink

A million thanks! I will of course keep updating this thread.  

Aetherna

Aetherna

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 6:22 am
Yay, I got some answers smile

Basically, the response I got was this:

1) Pierce with 4g then stretch to 6 (I'm pretty sure that was a typo and "2" was meant ^_^; )

2) A needle wouldn't remove tissue. (I guess I'll find out myself whenever I can afford the procedure!)

3) Couldn't figure a price on cost; price dependent on jewelry selection.

4) They prefer using their own jewelry as they are sure of the material quality.

5) No fee for stretching, just the cost of jewelry.

6) Piercing should push out some scar tissue. (which... is essentially removing skin, conflicting with response 2 to a situational extent)

Well, the response was friendly and helpful. I guess I'll try to drop by next Wednesday, if not, will call (hopefully their number fits in my calling plan xx; )

I'm guessing this will be a $100 procedure. Cost of jewelry can kick up any procedure's cost - not to say I want sub-par jewelry. I just have to save up for it, which right now, means it won't be happening in a long while unless something lucky occurs.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 12:03 am
Good luck!
I'm surprised they didn't suggest scalping. That's usually the best route for large gauge lobes.

Still don't understand why they would say a needle wouldn't remove tissue. The point of the hollow needle is that it DOES do that. ._."
Unless they are using non-hollow ones. Which is shitty.  

dagon is a gloomy bear
Crew

Lonely Lunatic

Aetherna

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 5:24 pm
`dagon
Good luck!
I'm surprised they didn't suggest scalping. That's usually the best route for large gauge lobes.

Still don't understand why they would say a needle wouldn't remove tissue. The point of the hollow needle is that it DOES do that. ._."
Unless they are using non-hollow ones. Which is shitty.

I'm not sure, `dagon. It's odd, because with your experience, you saw flesh removed, in BME's QOD, I read that flesh isn't removed and with the reply from that shop, they've stated that flesh wouldn't be removed, but some scar tissue would be pushed out. I've never heard of non-hollow needles, I thought even cannula needles were hollow? What I thought was fact is that a needle will pass through skin, forming a slit in the skin, rather than making a whole, due to the way the needle's tip is designed. Now, I don't know. @ @

I'm generally getting the "too much confusion - must have clarity and resolve!" feeling. sweatdrop I'll shoot back another PM over Myspace and let them know that I'm interested still, but not able to afford what will likely be at least a $50 procedure. With any luck, I'll be able to speak to another piercer at the shop as well and get their take on it. There did not seem to be any lack of confidence in the Myspace reply, but verbal and written communication are two totally different things. Plus, I'd need to see their portfolio as well.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 10:42 am
Yeah, the general effect of a needle is to create a slit, but sometimes it will take some skin with it, if done at a high enough gauge. It's just not the intention.  

popcornsharingbox

dagon is a gloomy bear
Crew

Lonely Lunatic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 5:01 pm
I'd take piercer's word over mine usually.

Haha, I guess for just myself, my happy medium on this is that a hollow needle is designed to remove as little flesh as possible.  
Ear Piercings

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff