Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Good, the Bad, and The INSANE... Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Toxic Water Bottles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 3:41 pm
Oh gosh, I'm new here, don't kill me for this thread...
Anyway, I have nothing against religion as a whole, the morals I find respectable. But I don't believe in "God created man and his image" yatta.
So I don't know where this is supposed to go, but here's the point of the thread.
-We all know that every "fanbase" (for lack of a better word) has the good, the bad, and the insane. I know you've heard the insane quotes of "UR GOING TO HELL OMG!"
But what's the most hypocritical, insane, discriminitive quote you've heard from a Christian/Catholic/etc?  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:15 pm
I heard (have not found the story on papers or even online-news sites) that some christians were justifying an act of violence against a homosexual, because their bible tells them to do it. THus, making it not a hate crime, but just another thing that should be allowed, since in america everyone has "freedom of worship."

In my low standards book, i call that ******** insane.

Then again, it might be some urban myth or something... but who knows.  

AnonymouZ

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:22 pm
First off, welcome to the guild! Always good to see a new face.

No offense, but I'm really not sure if this thread will generate any useful comments. In my experience, threads like these usually end up becoming anti-religious or otherwise hostile toward theists in general. Although I highly doubt it's your intention to incite a Christian-bashing party, that may well be the inevitable result.

With that out of the way, I have indeed heard my share of hypocrisy from Christianity. Especially from the fundies and their "illusion of persecution" ploy. I find it somewhat hilarious to think that a group of people who resist science, vote against gay marriage, and try endlessly to force their religion into the public school system could possibly think that they are being persecuted.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:29 pm
I think it'd have to be something along the lines of "Homosexuality is a sin."

To clarify, I'm straight, but supportive of homosexual rights. Just as long as they're not hurting anyone, of course. The notion that homosexuality is a sin is ridiculous in more than one way. First of all, according to Christian mythology, someone has to choose to sin. Near as I can tell, homosexuality is not a choice. But then again, what do I know? I just do research. Second, I would think the phenomenon of gay folks who regularly attend church should stomp out any notion that they're sinners. Lastly, I don't know how seriously you can take the passage in Exodus ("You shall not lay with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination") when the whole Bible is translated from another language and has undergone countless revisions, not to mention the fact that, properly read, this passage seems to denounce threesomes. Here's the kicker: the previous page condones selling your daughter into slavery. Ask any fundie if he'd be willing to do THAT. Hell no, he'd condemn it...despite the fact that God condones it. You can't pick and choose passages if your god is infallible.  

ProjectOmicron88

Covered-Up Boxers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:37 pm
You should know that a lot of people who attempt to justify their acts with the Bible do not follow it's general teachings. Such as the Westbro Baptist Church and the neo-Nazi movement in American. They just use it to filter their hate against whatever they don't like. Filtering that rubble out of the way...

I suppose the most hypocritcal thing I've heard is 'God/Jesus hates you because you're homosexual.' You've probably heard this a billion times, especially on the internet. The counter argument is, and always will be, "but God loves everybody/he made me in his image/blah blah blah."  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:02 am
"God put dinosaur fossils in the earth to confuse man."

...Why would he want to do that? D:

Fuzzy Kittens

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:24 am
ZeeFishee

I can't help but remember Lewis Black's routine about the same thing...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=B9BikWnfAkI  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:19 pm
"No, I don't know that atheists should be considered as citizens, nor should they be considered patriots. This is one nation under God."
-- George H. W. Bush on August 27, 1987 (Source)

"Love your neighbor as yourself."
-- Jesus Christ, Matthew 22:36-40  

Cirosan

Toxic Water Bottles

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:54 pm
ZeeFishee

Seriously D:
About the G.H.W. quote- I read that, it made me feel a bit... What's the word?
Let's go with "voted off the island".
At the graduation ceremony, my principal said "May God bless you."
I thought religion wasn't allowed in school, much less at a graduation.

Also, I have nothing against theists, as most of my best friends are Catholic or Christian, so I'll keep my comments clean.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 3:36 pm
I can't remember his exact words, but I once made a boy (I refuse to use any other title) in my class to say clearly, simply, and bluntly, that capital punishment and unrestricted warfare are alright, but abortion and homosexuality are disgusting and inhuman.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:55 pm
I tend to chuckle a bit at the nomenclature of the "pro-life" movement; seems like most of them, while claiming to respect a fetus's "right to life," are in favor of capital punishment, keeping our troops in Iraq, and against gun control (although, I will say, this is probably the only conservative position I hold).

They're not pro-life. They're pro-we-get-to-choose-who-has-the-right-to-live.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:31 pm
Semper Fiasco
I tend to chuckle a bit at the nomenclature of the "pro-life" movement; seems like most of them, while claiming to respect a fetus's "right to life," are in favor of capital punishment, keeping our troops in Iraq, and against gun control (although, I will say, this is probably the only conservative position I hold).

They're not pro-life. They're pro-we-get-to-choose-who-has-the-right-to-live.

Not so much that, as that many of those in that position haven't analyzed their own world view in such a way as to avoid that rather embarrassing discrepancy.

Those who have generally tend to quieten their voices over one or more of the issues.  

Tenth Speed Writer

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:24 pm
I'll match a ridiculous Christian statement with a ridiculous Atheist statement.

Ridiculous Christian statement: you can't know God - he is outside of our laws and reason.

Ridiculous Atheist Statement: anyone who says the "get" quantum physics doesn't.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 11:03 pm
Covered-Up Boxers
You should know that a lot of people who attempt to justify their acts with the Bible do not follow it's general teachings. Such as the Westbro Baptist Church and the neo-Nazi movement in American. They just use it to filter their hate against whatever they don't like. Filtering that rubble out of the way...

I suppose the most hypocritcal thing I've heard is 'God/Jesus hates you because you're homosexual.' You've probably heard this a billion times, especially on the internet. The counter argument is, and always will be, "but God loves everybody/he made me in his image/blah blah blah."

If theres one thing I hate beyond recognition, is Christian zealots. and yes im new, hi there smile and yes im christian and no im not here to convert (not my style) and no im not here on a mission (not my taste).

I live in sacramento so you could imagine every type of sexuality lives in california and yet I see protestors on the street with signs screaming "GOD HATES THE GAYS!" etc etc.

make me SICK. it MISREPRESENTS the teachings of the bible and it MISREPRESENTS God's intentions. oh and guess what?

you DON'T go to hell for being gay. theres no scriptural evidence supporting that what so ever. neither does God "hate" anyone.

as they say, hate the sin not the sinner.  

ElenaMason

1,000 Points
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Toxic Water Bottles

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:43 pm
Theophrastus
I'll match a ridiculous Christian statement with a ridiculous Atheist statement.

Ridiculous Christian statement: you can't know God - he is outside of our laws and reason.

Ridiculous Atheist Statement: anyone who says the "get" quantum physics doesn't.

Some Atheists can be a bit...high and mighty.
I know an "Atheist" who considers himself above everyone else because he's Buddhist.
confused  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces