Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Writer in Newspaper Bashes Dawkins

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ruminating Skeptic

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 12:54 pm
http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Columnists/Jackson_Paul/2007/06/26/4290796-sun.html

This made me so angry. Not just because he was dissing one of the people I respect most, but how many holes he had in his arguements.

Religious texts have sold more than The God Delusion. They've also been around longer.

Dawkins needs to provide proof Oh, and you don't? Your s**t stinks too buddy, so don't get all high and mighty. Why is it that if you say you believe something, everyone falls over backward to make sure you aren't "offended" but when someone calls you out on it, they get attacked?

"It's like a flea biting an elephant" yes, instead of congratulating someone on actually having the balls to stand up to the majority, lets call his efforts worthless. Evidently, the adults all our lives were just lieing when they said "be yourself, don't follow the crowd, be a leader not a follower"- or maybe, like in all things, religion is exempted.

"Einstein, whose theory of relatively changed the way we look at science, felt the universe had such a pattern of working against all odds there had to be an intelligent designer." wow, check your facts buddy.

It seems to me that the idea of a personal God is an anthropological concept which I cannot take seriously. I also cannot imagine some will or goal outside the human sphere.... Science has been charged with undermining morality, but the charge is unjust. A man's ethical behavior should be based effectually on sympathy, education, and social ties and needs; no religious basis is necessary. Man would indeed be in a poor way if he had to be restrained by fear of punishment and hope of reward after death.

It was, of course, a lie what you read about my religious convictions, a lie which is being systematically repeated. I do not believe in a personal God and I have never denied this but have expressed it clearly. If something is in me which can be called religious then it is the unbounded admiration for the structure of the world so far as our science can reveal it.

Source:http://www.positiveatheism.org/hist/quotes/einstein.htm

I have never imputed to Nature a purpose or a goal, or anything that could be understood as anthropomorphic. What I see in Nature is a magnificent structure that we can comprehend only very imperfectly, and that must fill a thinking person with a feeling of "humility." This is a genuinely religious feeling that has nothing to do with mysticism.

Source: The God Delusion.

Those don't sound very Theistic to me.

Don't attack this guy, he is a high up. Well luckily for us, Dawkins doesn't give a purple ******** what a Theist's standing is in society.

Dawkins thinks indoctrination is child abuse. Maybe because IT IS?! Gee, telling your kids to believe in God or they'll burn in hell, or refusing to let them question things, or freaking at the slightest sign of non-belief; that sounds like abuse to me.

"So, parents can't instill their children with values?" There is a huge difference between brainwashing your child about religion, and teaching them values. I hate to break it to you (well actually I don't) but you don't need to fear a god to have values.

Quite obviously Dawkins has no knowledge whatsoever of Day's political acumen. Quite obviously, you have no knowledge whatsoever about what Dawkins believes, The God Delusion, or what the hell you are talking about.

I believe in the afterlife. Good for you. No really, I mean it. Because you are a Theist, you will never be asked to prove your beliefs. Oh wait, except be those arrogant Atheists who can't prove you wrong so you must be right.

"For sure, though, I will not meet Richard Dawkins there. Not that I'd want to do so." There's that lovely Christian mentality shining through. Whatever happened to forgiveness and being nice to people? I guess that's just too expensive for the 21st century.

So here's my little prayer right now, please stand with me alongside Preston, Stock, Bishop Fred Henry, Calgary evangelical Pastor Phil Nordin, and all other believers of many faiths of a Supreme Creator.

We all have it made -- a joyous everlasting life ahead of us.

While billions suffer in life, and will burn in hell because they don't suck your God's cosmic sized d**k right? Thanks again for that NON-arrogant Christian attitude.

After all, we're the arrogant ones right?

Jya ne,
Furiidamu.  
PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:34 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Quote:
"It's like a flea biting an elephant" yes, instead of congratulating someone on actually having the balls to stand up to the majority, lets call his efforts worthless. Evidently, the adults all our lives were just lieing when they said "be yourself, don't follow the crowd, be a leader not a follower"- or maybe, like in all things, religion is exempted.

I have a better retort: If this is true, then why are you bothering in defending religion?

EDIT: Also, has anyone noticed how all (at least all I've seen) of Dawkins' critics attack some portion of the book that he's already addressed beforehand? It's almost as if... they didn't read the book...

Baron von Turkeypants

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:15 pm
No, why would Dawkins get bashed? :rolleyes:

I have to admit, though. The man has testicular fortitude truly unmatched.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 4:10 pm
Good Charlotte Aficionado
"Einstein, whose theory of relatively changed the way we look at science, felt the universe had such a pattern of working against all odds there had to be an intelligent designer." wow, check your facts buddy.

"I'm not an atheist and I don't think I can call myself a pantheist. We are in the position of a little child entering a huge library filled with books in many different languages. The child knows someone must have written those books. It does not know how. The child dimly suspects a mysterious order in the arrangement of the books but doesn't know what it is. That, it seems to me, is the attitude of even the most intelligent human being toward God. We see a universe marvelously arranged and obeying certain laws, but only dimly understand these laws. Our limited minds cannot grasp the mysterious force that moves the constellations." --Albert Einsten

Make of that what you will. But also consider this:

"Few people are capable of expressing with equanimity opinions which differ from the prejudices of their social environment. Most people are even incapable of forming such opinions." --Albert Einstein  

ProjectOmicron88

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 6:35 pm
Careful with that subtlety, sir. You might go unnoticed.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:49 pm
Know what I realized today at work? Here's a list of people who were "fleas biting elephants", yet managed to change the course of human history as we know it:

-Joan of Arc
-William Wallace
-Martin Luther King, Jr.
-Malcolm X
-Mahatma Gandhi
-The founding fathers

And, of course...

-Jesus

Remember that the course of history has shown time and again that fleas are capable of killing elephants.  

ProjectOmicron88

Death God Hitsugaya

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:45 am
William Wallace *bows*

Anyways, yes, they do tend to NOT read Dawkin's book, cause it might atheize (for lack of a better word) them. Or because they think that it is such garbage that it isn't worth it... probably until their arguments get completely and entirely owned.

Heh, atheize..  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:06 pm
Death God Hitsugaya
William Wallace *bows*

Anyways, yes, they do tend to NOT read Dawkin's book, cause it might atheize (for lack of a better word) them. Or because they think that it is such garbage that it isn't worth it... probably until their arguments get completely and entirely owned.

Heh, atheize..

I had to mention him. I love Braveheart. I love 300 just a little more, though.

Oh yeah, Leonidas, there's another name to add to the list of pathetic failed attempts at changing human history!  

ProjectOmicron88

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:55 pm
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
I think people are gonna remember Leonidas now, not for saying "Come and get them" but "THIS IS SPARTA!"
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:05 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
que me gusta lo mejor
I think people are gonna remember Leonidas now, not for saying "Come and get them" but "THIS IS SPARTA!"
ni el dinero ni el amor

He yells ALL THE TIME! You don't get more badass than that.  

ProjectOmicron88

Covered-Up Boxers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:23 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
EDIT: Also, has anyone noticed how all (at least all I've seen) of Dawkins' critics attack some portion of the book that he's already addressed beforehand? It's almost as if... they didn't read the book...

Reading's overrated, apparently.

I mean, who would actually want to *learn* anything?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:33 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
Especially when all you need to know was given to us by God thousands of years ago in a book!
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas