Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Seems I over estimated people once more.

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Redem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:47 am
I had, rather naively it turns out, assumed that the laws on the books in the constitutions of a number of different states that require that one be a theist in order to hold public office were anachronisms. Laws that no sane person would ever try to hold to in the modern age. Ones that simply had not yet been removed from the books because no one cared enough to bother.

But they have tried to use these laws in the recent past to prevent atheists from holding office.

http://blog.au.org/2007/06/12/remembering-roy-maryland-man-who-challenged-religious-test-dies-at-age-96/

Tried and failed, of course. But that they tried is depressing sad  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:53 pm
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
If they're letting atheists into public office, who'll be next!? Jews? NEGROS!? WOMEN!?!?!?
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

Tenth Speed Writer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:23 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
que me gusta lo mejor
If they're letting atheists into public office, who'll be next!? Jews? NEGROS!? WOMEN!?!?!?
ni el dinero ni el amor

God has abandoned us!  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:34 pm
Tenth Speed Writer
Baron von Turkeypants
que me gusta lo mejor
ni el dinero ni el amor

God has abandoned us!

Eh, not really. Just fulfillment of prophecy at its finest. What prophecy, you ask? I dunno; pick one. They're all pretty vague anyway.

Who knows - I may just run for God in the upcoming election. Give me your vote and you can rest assured that we'll have no more worries about voting (or at least having the illusion of a meaningful vote) for our leaders. I'll take care of that myself.  

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

Arios V

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:18 pm
It is kinda sad, it really is.

Also FYI, there are 7 states that require you to be a theist in order to hold a public office or to testify in court. They are:

Texas, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and Arkansas  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:17 pm
I love that some states in the union would rather a Satanist, a Muslim or a Zoroastrian hold office before someone who put away their imaginary friends.  

Theophrastus

banryuu

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 7:57 am
Sounds about right. Did ya'll hear about the Female supreme court justice that was almost taken off the bench a few years back because they found out she is a lesbian? Its true.
I knew about the athists not being able to hold office (they can't run for president either) crying  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:19 pm
Arios V

Also FYI, there are 7 states that require you to be a theist in order to hold a public office or to testify in court. They are:

Texas, Maryland, North Carolina, South Carolina, Tennessee, Pennsylvania, and Arkansas

Six of those don't suprise me... but Maryland? C'mon, now. That's one of the thirteen colonies. They shouldn't be allowed to defy the constitution.  

Covered-Up Boxers

Redem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:31 pm
Covered-Up Boxers
Arios V

Six of those don't suprise me... but Maryland? C'mon, now. That's one of the thirteen colonies. They shouldn't be allowed to defy the constitution.

It's a part of their state constitution.

And they're not allowed to defy it, but they can certainly try.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:51 pm
Covered-Up Boxers
Arios V

Maryland was a bit of a shocker for me too. I honestly didn't think they would have a statue like that. All the rest weren't any bit of a shocker.  

Arios V

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:49 pm
Redem
Covered-Up Boxers
Arios V

Hey, the colonies weren't allow to give the finger to King George by dumping his tea in the Atlantic ocean. The balance of power will shift as more and more people realize that religion and government should be completely separated from each other, save perhaps for ceremonial purposes.  
PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 7:10 pm
ProjectOmicron88
Redem
Covered-Up Boxers
Arios V

Hey, the colonies weren't allow to give the finger to King George by dumping his tea in the Atlantic ocean. The balance of power will shift as more and more people realize that religion and government should be completely separated from each other, save perhaps for ceremonial purposes.

True, very true.

Church and State will separate eventually, it's gonna take a while though.  

Arios V

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff