Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Republican Guild of Gaia [A Big Tent Republican Guild]

Back to Guilds

A Political-Debate Guild Aimed at Republican Users. 

Tags: republican, conservative, debate, politics, moderate 

Reply The Republican Guild of Gaia
Increasing the Minimum wage Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Zeptan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:57 pm
Did you agree with the recent increase of the minimum wage? Why or why not?

EDIT: I don't think they should raise the minimum wage. Why? Because it makes it harder for small business, who make up most of the industry in America, to pay their employees. Therefore, they are forced to layoff their employees, so most people lose their job.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 5:36 pm
game100guy

I don't really care, but i do have to say that if people really needed to, they could live off of the minimum wage before i was hired. It's because the poor need to buy their razor phones and fancy cars, and then say they can't pay their school or house bills. I see it all the time at my school. There is no reason to raise the minimum wage because people could live off of it if they tried. Cell phones and cars are not rights, their novelties, not needed, which come after food and shelter.  

allypoohbear

Dark_Spartan117

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:01 pm
allypoohbear
game100guy

I don't really care, but i do have to say that if people really needed to, they could live off of the minimum wage before i was hired. It's because the poor need to buy their razor phones and fancy cars, and then say they can't pay their school or house bills. I see it all the time at my school. There is no reason to raise the minimum wage because people could live off of it if they tried. Cell phones and cars are not rights, their novelties, not needed, which come after food and shelter.

yeah...a girl in my class once did a project to prove that you could live off minimum wage... while its no walk in the park, it is possible, so i dont think the minimum wage should be raised  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:13 pm
I don't think they should raise the minimum wage. Why? Because it makes it harder for small business, who make up most of the industry in America, to pay their employees. Therefore, they are forced to layoff their employees, so most people lose their job.  

Zeptan

Kysaara

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:51 pm
I didn't mind it so much, since the prices for everything have gone up (gas in particular) it only seems fair to increase the wages.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:23 am
BlueSpartan058
I didn't mind it so much, since the prices for everything have gone up (gas in particular) it only seems fair to increase the wages.
It causes people to lose their job. wink

But notice how the price of everything raised after the minimum wage increased. See? Increasing it doesn't really do anything but make people lose their job.  

Zeptan

Kysaara

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:20 am
yeah spose your right, isn't that how inflation works?  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:13 am
Sorry I didn't read all the posts

Studies have shown that an increase in a minimum wage usually leads to two things.

1) Companies raise product price (a setback for people that got raise)
2) Companies fire people to make profit back to original margin

Raising the wage also gives a recession in the economy and even my mother a psycho liberal agrees with keeping the minimum wage where it is. Back in the late 1800s are economy was spurring, minimum wage was at around a nickel an hour, people usually made 3.00 a week and lived. Though there wasn't regulations on working conditions (which there weren't enough then, and are too many now) business owners were very content and everyone (most everyone) had money in a stock, until the 1920s in the stock market crash!!!

on another note the fact the Stock Market keeps shutting down is kinda freaking me out!  

The Hallowed Mouse

singin4Christ

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 8:42 pm
i don't agree with it but i won't say that we don't need it. as the gas prices go up the costs of every thing else go up too. if minimum wage isn't increased we won't be able to afford anything. if we weren't so dependent of gas we wouldn't have to raise it but we are and the problem is that it's not going to go down. prices won't go down even if gas does. people would discover how much money they could make and this country seems to be run by greed anyways.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:53 pm
I don't know what the minimum wage is where you guys live, but, in Idaho, it is $5.15/hr. Gas is around $3.15/gal. At that rate, you can only afford to go to work. It is ridiculous that people go against a raise in minimum wage. It may be possible to live off of it, but is that right? Is it right to tell the people that are forced to work in a minimum wage job that they aren't good enough to do anything but work?

It is also ridiculous to have the cost of living increase along the same lines of minimum wages. What's the point of trying to make it easier for people to live, if they keep making essentials more expensive?

The average amount of money a family makes also affects other parts of their life styles. It's cheaper to buy fatty foods than it is to buy fruits and vegetables. It's easier on parents working in the minimum wage industry to go and buy McDonald's than it is to get off of a 12hr shift and try to make a healthy meal. Of course the average american isn't worried about buying hybrid vehicles. They're too worried about being able to pay their rent, insurance, car payments, buy food, and cover the other expenses associated with just being able to function in the modern society.  

Starcrush

The Hallowed Mouse

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:08 am
Starcrush
I don't know what the minimum wage is where you guys live, but, in Idaho, it is $5.15/hr. Gas is around $3.15/gal. At that rate, you can only afford to go to work. It is ridiculous that people go against a raise in minimum wage. It may be possible to live off of it, but is that right? Is it right to tell the people that are forced to work in a minimum wage job that they aren't good enough to do anything but work?

It is also ridiculous to have the cost of living increase along the same lines of minimum wages. What's the point of trying to make it easier for people to live, if they keep making essentials more expensive?

The average amount of money a family makes also affects other parts of their life styles. It's cheaper to buy fatty foods than it is to buy fruits and vegetables. It's easier on parents working in the minimum wage industry to go and buy McDonald's than it is to get off of a 12hr shift and try to make a healthy meal. Of course the average american isn't worried about buying hybrid vehicles. They're too worried about being able to pay their rent, insurance, car payments, buy food, and cover the other expenses associated with just being able to function in the modern society.

Did you read my last post, if someone raises the minimum wage then product price will increase, or layoffs/firings, and Idaho does follow our federal minimum wage which is $5.15 just to let you know for future purposes, all states must comply!

Yes this may be partially true but only 15% of America gets paid minimum wage and 70% are teenagers/dependents and people living with their family/father/mother still, so I'm pretty sure they'll survive without some necessities because their copendent or family will pay for the food considering they live with 'em.  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 11:10 pm
I disagree with any sort of minimum wage.

People should let the free market work itself. If a company/business is hiring at $2.50 an hour and people want a higher wage than that then they should not work there. Eventually once the company/business realizes that they are not hiring anyone and losing business/money or whatever due to lack of employees/laborers then they will most likely increase their minimum wage to get more people hired on so their company/business does not fall through.

I just think private business should be allowed to run their companies the way they want to. I like small government. I don't want the government telling me who I can and cannot hire and how much I have to pay them.

Oh and like people already said, a minimum wage or raising the minimum wage actually causes inflation.  

Pasithea

The Hallowed Mouse

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:48 am
Pasithea
I disagree with any sort of minimum wage.

People should let the free market work itself. If a company/business is hiring at $2.50 an hour and people want a higher wage than that then they should not work there. Eventually once the company/business realizes that they are not hiring anyone and losing business/money or whatever due to lack of employees/laborers then they will most likely increase their minimum wage to get more people hired on so their company/business does not fall through.

I just think private business should be allowed to run their companies the way they want to. I like small government. I don't want the government telling me who I can and cannot hire and how much I have to pay them.

Oh and like people already said, a minimum wage or raising the minimum wage actually causes inflation.

I concur, but I think at list one price floor should be made so some people don't get paid a penny an hour and others getting paid 30dollars an hour  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 6:09 am
I don't like it. It encourages big busnesses to hire illegals and to ship business overseas...which is probably why the Democrats raised it in the first place.  

Garrett31212

Kira84

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 8:50 pm
The Hallowed Mouse
Did you read my last post, if someone raises the minimum wage then product price will increase, or layoffs/firings, and Idaho does follow our federal minimum wage which is $5.15 just to let you know for future purposes, all states must comply!

I don't think that's completely accurate. States can set their minimum wages higher than $5.15. My state recently raised it to... I think it's $6.75... and I know it's at least that much or more in California. The campaign to raise the minimum wage kept comparing us to other states with higher minimum wages, so I know the individual states have at least some control to raise it.  
The Republican Guild of Gaia

Goto Page: 1 2 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff