Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
The Stereotypical Atheist Profesor: WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?! Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Karla Marx

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:41 pm
I'm sure most of you have read this before:
A Chainletter
Does evil exist?

The university professor challenged his students with this question. Did God create everything that exists? A student bravely replied, "Yes, he did!"

"God created everything? The professor asked.

"Yes sir", the student replied.

The professor answered, "If God created everything, then God created evil since evil exists, and according to the principal that our works define who we are then God is evil". The student became quiet before such an answer. The professor was quite pleased with himself and boasted to the students that he had proven once more that the Christian faith was a myth.

Another student raised his hand and said, "Can I ask you a question professor?"

"Of course", replied the professor.

The student stood up and asked, "Professor, does cold exist?"

"What kind of question is this? Of course it exists. Have you never been cold?" The students snickered at the young man's question.

The young man replied, "In fact sir, cold does not exist. According to the laws of physics, what we consider cold is in reality the absence of heat. Every body or object is susceptible to study when it has or transmits energy, and heat is what makes a body or matter have or transmit energy. Absolute zero (-460 degrees F) is the total absence of heat; all matter becomes inert and incapable of reaction at that temperature. Cold does not exist. We have created this word to describe how we feel if we have no heat."

The student continued, "Professor, does darkness exist?"

The professor responded, "Of course it does."

The student replied, "Once again you are wrong sir, darkness does not exist either. Darkness is in reality the absence of light. Light we can study, but not darkness. In fact we can use Newton's prism to break white light into many colors and study the various wavelengths of each color. You cannot measure darkness. A simple ray of light can break into a world of darkness and illuminate it. How can you know how dark a certain space is? You measure the amount of light present. Isn't this correct? Darkness is a term used by man to describe what happens when there is no light present."

Finally the young man asked the professor, "Sir, does evil exist?"

Now uncertain, the professor responded, "Of course as I have already said. We see it every day. It is in the daily example of man's inhumanity to man. It is in the multitude of crime and violence everywhere in the world. These manifestations are nothing else but evil."

To this the student replied, "Evil does not exist sir, or at least it does not exist unto itself. Evil is simply the absence of God. It is just like darkness and cold, a word that man has created to describe the absence of God. God did not create evil. Evil is not like faith, or love that exist just as does light and heat. Evil is the result of what happens when man does not have God's love present in his heart. It's like the cold that comes when there is no heat or the darkness that comes when there is no light."

The professor sat down.

The young man's name: Albert Einstein. (Yeah ******** right.)

There have been many stories like this.
And, Ohohoho! Every single time the adamant and evil Atheist professor is always so easily baffled and proven wrong.
And these stories can actually be easily refuted. All I'd have to say to the little b*****d is "Evil is the absence of God? Prove that god exists, plz. Now shut the hell up and let me finish my lesson."
Not to mention if they could so easily prove the existence of God, good, evil, etc., then it would no longer be faith, but fact!
And, ********, if it was fact, we'd all believe it.

Anyway, when I started taking community college classes, I was expecting these sort of Anti-Christian Professors preaching to the class and whatnot, but all of them were pretty nice, and a majority of them actually were theists. The ones that were Atheists didn't even feel the need to mention it. I had to find out by asking other students.
So, now my question is:
1: Why do Christians rely on strawmen and appeals to Authority to look smart?
2: Where the hell are these AntiChrist teachers? I'd love to meet one. Really.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:25 pm
Seen it before...it's been debunked as an urban myth countless times. Someone as intelligent as Einstein can easily differentiate between moral concepts and scientific concepts.

The notion that evil is the absence of God utterly crumbles in light of things like the Spanish Inquisition. For a movement considered "good" at the time, you have to remember that they were far from humane. Their chief weapon was surprise and fear...sorry, two weapons, surprise and fear and ruthless efficiency...uh, sorry, three weapons, surprise, fear, ruthless efficiency, and an almost fanatical devotion to the Pope -- er, FOUR weapons -- oh, come in again!  

ProjectOmicron88

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:43 pm
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
No, no, no, there was a typo.

Evil is the absence of good, not God.
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:36 am
Quote:

It allows even stupid people to experience the glow of intellectual superiority.

By association, if nothing else.  

Redem

Six Billion of Spades

Familiar Phantom

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:48 am
Q: "inestine believed in god r u smarter then him"

A: I guess not. But you've obviously got the IQ. So why don't you educate me on the laws of gravitational acceleration and the curvature of space-time? By the way, ever hear the names James D. Watson, Francis Crick, and Marie Curie in high school?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:11 am
When I went to college, there were two philosophy teachers. One was a Christian who believed in Creationism, and the other one was a self-proclaimed Jewish atheist.

Both were very good professors in their own right, and both made you think.

The atheist was an a*****e sometimes, but he wanted you to be an a*****e back, wanted you to think. One of my favorite things he ever said was, "God is bullshit. But that's okay. You're looking at me right now and thinking, 'you are bullshit.'" And he wrote "bullshit" on the chalkboard. "I want you to say it. 'You are bullshit.'" His Introduction to Logic class was excellent.

And the other guy was probably my favorite professor. He was nice and we could talk philosophy without him trying to convert me. Both were awesome.

Mean atheist professors who push themselves on you is pretty much just a myth.  

Meirelle

Shadowy Seeker

16,150 Points
  • Marathon 300
  • Tested Practitioner 250
  • Grunny Harvester 150

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:46 am
Meirelle
When I went to college, there were two philosophy teachers. One was a Christian who believed in Creationism, and the other one was a self-proclaimed Jewish atheist.

Both were very good professors in their own right, and both made you think.

The atheist was an a*****e sometimes, but he wanted you to be an a*****e back, wanted you to think. One of my favorite things he ever said was, "God is bullshit. But that's okay. You're looking at me right now and thinking, 'you are bullshit.'" And he wrote "bullshit" on the chalkboard. "I want you to say it. 'You are bullshit.'" His Introduction to Logic class was excellent.

And the other guy was probably my favorite professor. He was nice and we could talk philosophy without him trying to convert me. Both were awesome.

Mean atheist professors who push themselves on you is pretty much just a myth.

That actually reminds me. In the Arts & Sciences building at my university, the Anthropology department and the Religious Studies department are right next door to each other. I've always found that funny.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:41 pm
Redem
Quote:

It allows even stupid people to experience the glow of intellectual superiority.

By association, if nothing else.

So we can't be guilty by association then...? Why not a dumbass that knows that gods don't exist, is not smarter than a guy who is a ******** "genious"... and yet, he proclaims himself a christian. (if... that is possible... i really, "really" don't think that geniouses are, or ever will be, christians.  

AnonymouZ

SkeletonPhoenix

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 3:49 pm
There was a genious in my school and he was cristian. All I did was stood in awe in how someone so smart can be so stupid.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:11 pm
I shall become one of those profesors.  

SkeletonPhoenix

Kiyrugoji

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 4:18 pm
I shall now spend my life attempting to figure out why you double posted instead of editing your first post.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:50 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
What a wasted life.

What a wasted comic.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0055/0055_01.asp
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

Theophrastus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:12 pm
Genius.

GENIUS.

Jee, Ee, Ehn, Ai, Yoo, Ess.

<_<

Sorry...several prominent posters on another board I frequent misspell it, too.

(No offense to anyone - just trying to help.)  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:03 am
Baron von Turkeypants
que me gusta lo mejor
What a wasted life.

What a wasted comic.

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0055/0055_01.asp
ni el dinero ni el amor

The Stereotypical Atheist professor! There he is again! surprised  

Karla Marx

Karla Marx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:07 am
Ha. I was reading that comic.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

... Couldn't what he said about Gluons be said about God?

And looky here:

Yeah, yeah. College students have never heard that speech.  
The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff