Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Occult Research Society

Back to Guilds

A guild devoted to the study of the occult, in all its forms. 

Tags: Magick, Psionics, Supernatural, Paranormal, Occult 

Reply The Café (General Chat)
LibraryThing?

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

aeSentinel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:56 pm
Anyone heard of LibraryThing? It's like the MySpace of books - you can add your entire library of books to your profile, allowing yourself (and others) to view your collection all together.

It fetches the book information and covers from Amazon and the Library of Congress, amongst 70 or so other book-related websites.

The best part of all is that you can scan and upload your own covers for use. There's nothing like knowing people are looking at your books and not just the stock covers.

For a demo, check out my library and profile.

Books with my own covers are noted. You can click 'Cover View' on the top-left corner to see the books by cover.

Be sure to check out the Introduction page too - it's does a better introduction to LibraryThing than myself. XD

You guys should really take a look. It'd be awesome to be able to see what books everyone has.  
PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 3:24 am
My LibraryThing (my "working" library, as it were);  

Nuadu

aeSentinel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:17 pm
You've got some nice books there. I'd like to fill up mine with occult-only books, but I'm unfortunately lacking numbers, so it's got pretty much every books I own.

I'm gonna order more books from Amazon soon, however, so I might be able to change that. xd  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:49 am
Well, as I said, thats my "working" library; professional stuff, occult stuff, religious stuff, philosophy etc. I don't have any of my fiction on there, except for some occult fiction (Fortune, Crowley, Kurtz and Harris, that sort of thing).

That, and I pad it by entering some of the journals in individually; mostly the esoterically related stuff, and not, for instance, the JAAR or the AAA. That would be silly wink

Oh, as an aside, there will be a review of The Secret History of Hermes Trismegistus in the next issue of the Journal of the Western Mystery Tradition (as well as a bunch of other interesting stuff, of course).  

Nuadu

aeSentinel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:00 pm
Nice. Right now I'm just reading whatever I can get my hands on. At the moment that happens to be the books under the 'Batch 1' tag:
Grimoire for the Apprentice Wizard;
Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic;
Magician's Companion;
The New Encyclopedia of the Occult;
Prometheus Rising;
The Psychic Vampire Codex.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:34 am
Magician's Companion isn't terrible, though I'd be careful of its Enochian section; its pretty much a mish-mash of material with little by way of consistency.  

Nuadu

aeSentinel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 10:40 pm
Yay! Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic by Catherine Yronwode just arrived. I've been waiting for it for ages. XD

Magician's Companion seems pretty good as far as the introductions and alchemy article, but I'm yet to read much else. The Enochian section shouldn't be much of an issue for me anyway, as I have no intentions of going near it. xd

I'm about three or four chapters into Prometheus Rising and so far it's been great. Robert Anton Wilson was a genius.

I'll let you know how Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic goes.

I might make a book thread later on to discuss these too. Or maybe we should make a LibraryThing group? ninja  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 6:16 am
There are several occult-related LibraryThing groups. No one seems to ever say anything in them though, so it might not be a bad idea to have one that is actually active.

Or, you know, a book discussion thread here about works too; I'm easy (but not cheap) . . . or lazy, whichever you prefer.  

Nuadu

The Café (General Chat)

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff