Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Circumcision Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:38 pm
This may be an awkward topic, but it's something nobody talks about. In my opinion, that alone makes it worthy of discussion. If it's deemed inappropriate, please notify me and I'll take it down.

Basically, we all know circumcision to be a practice originating from religious tenets, part of a lifelong pact made with God. For those not familiar with the practice, it's an act performed on newborn baby males, in which the foreskin is cut off. The reasons are today still under debate. Some defend it by saying it prevents disease, though research has shown this to not be the case. This does not, however, change the fact that the traditional image of the organ in question, particularly in anatomy textbooks, is that of the circumcised variety.

What are your opinions on the practice of circumcision?  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:09 pm
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
I swear I've seen this exact same topic before... o.O

Did you post this in the ED at one point? Or another guild?

EDIT: deja vu aside, I know the foreskin acts as a natural lubricant, so you have to use little, if any, artificial lubricant. I think it also does something with protection...
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:24 pm
No, I've actually never done a topic like this before.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:31 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
!!

This is going to drive me crazy. I specifically remember that wording, or something very close. Maybe you've done a thread about another controversial topic and used the same opening?
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

Arios V

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:45 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
que me gusta lo mejor
!!

This is going to drive me crazy. I specifically remember that wording, or something very close. Maybe you've done a thread about another controversial topic and used the same opening?
ni el dinero ni el amor

I think someone else posted something like this in the GD a while back, cuz it looks a little familiar. Although, I don't think he was the one who posted it.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:47 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
No, I don't read the GD...
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

Cirosan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:07 pm
Because there are no real medical advantages to circumcision, and "circumcision" is just a way of disguising what it really is - mutilating a baby - I am against it. Besides, the experience can be somewhat traumatic later on in life. Many males find themselves struggling to come to term with their own circumcision once they're older. Pound for pound, there is absolutely no reason to circumcise children.  
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:38 pm
Cirosan
Because there are no real medical advantages to circumcision, and "circumcision" is just a way of disguising what it really is - mutilating a baby - I am against it. Besides, the experience can be somewhat traumatic later on in life. Many males find themselves struggling to come to term with their own circumcision once they're older. Pound for pound, there is absolutely no reason to circumcise children.

People have problems with being curcumsized? News to me. Why would anyone have a problem. Also I'm neutral on this.  

SkeletonPhoenix

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:03 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
I know, seriously. Why would anyone have a problem when, say, they get their hand chopped off, or third degree burns on 80% of their body? News to me.
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:40 pm
SkeletonPhoenix
Cirosan

People have problems with being curcumsized? News to me. Why would anyone have a problem. Also I'm neutral on this.

I'm not, and I have a huge problem with it. It's barbaric, and has no medical advantages.  

ProjectOmicron88

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:05 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
I have come up with a new procedure. Let us take off all the skin past the second joint on the index finger of the right hand of every male. What possible problems can there be?
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:25 pm
With all the misinformation flying around here I don't know where to start... How about here:

"It's barbaric, and has no medical advantages."

Hmmm, "Circumcision can cut the rate of HIV infection in heterosexual men by 50%" http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6176209.stm I don't know about all of you, but I consider a 50% reduction of my chances of being infected with aids a 'medical advantage'. However, I am more offended by having my cultural traditions bashed by a bunch of ignorant people who haven't even bothered to do a little reading. Since when did, "Its bad!" and, "Yeah, I think so to." become an adequate substitute for discussion? Has anyone here considered the cultural significance of this practice? It seams to me that before anyone starts making statements like this, "[it] is just a way of disguising what it really is - mutilating a baby", the questions of why circumcision is practiced must first be answered.  

JakRandom

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:52 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
I see a lot of what you're accusing us in your own words.
ni el dinero ni el amor

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:53 pm
JakRandom
With all the misinformation flying around here I don't know where to start... How about here:

"It's barbaric, and has no medical advantages."

Hmmm, "Circumcision can cut the rate of HIV infection in heterosexual men by 50%" http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6176209.stm I don't know about all of you, but I consider a 50% reduction of my chances of being infected with aids a 'medical advantage'. However, I am more offended by having my cultural traditions bashed by a bunch of ignorant people who haven't even bothered to do a little reading. Since when did, "Its bad!" and, "Yeah, I think so to." become an adequate substitute for discussion? Has anyone here considered the cultural significance of this practice? It seams to me that before anyone starts making statements like this, "[it] is just a way of disguising what it really is - mutilating a baby", the questions of why circumcision is practiced must first be answered.

It's not an excuse to not practice safer sex. And people will unfortunately see it that way. "Hey, 50%! Maybe I could skip using a condom just this once..."

Circumcision may be cultural, but so is female circumcision. I think, since it's generally against a person's will (babies can't object, and young girls are forced into it) that it's a human rights issue.

I know of a website with a lot of information covering this topic, but it has photos so I'd have to pm anyone interested in it.

EDIT: I kind of wonder why that study was done in two different countries though. Why not do it in ONE country instead of two that have different infection rates?

Laprasite

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:58 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
But wait, we must protect all cultural practices no matter what they are!

Who's to say the South American cannibals shouldn't be allowed to keep their lifestyle? It's all they know!

/sarcasm
ni el dinero ni el amor

The Main Discussion Place

Goto Page: 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out