Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Atheists United

Back to Guilds

A safe and friendly place for Atheists to be themselves. 

Tags: Atheism, Theology, Philosophy, Science, Logic 

Reply The Main Discussion Place
Sitting Idly at Work Today...

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:22 pm
Sitting idly at work today yielded this train of thought. See if it could use some work, because it could very well prove useful in my Intro to Philosophy class I'm taking in the fall.

1.) All religions insist their beliefs are the only correct ones.
2.) The term "correct" implies a universally-accepted absolute (i.e., fact).
3.) The term "fact" implies that it is universally accepted, and cannot be disagreed upon (i.e., "cats have tails")
4.) If disagreement exists, then by definition, fact cannot.
5.) Therefore, nobody is correct.

Alternatively:

2.) The term "correct" implies a universally-accepted absolute (i.e., fact).
3.) The term "fact" implies a universally-acknowledged concept or idea.
4.) If religious debate exists, then each side is defending their beliefs.
5.) If a fact is universally-accepted truth, then nothing needs to be defended.
6.) Ergo, if debate exists, fact does not.
7.) Ergo, the debate is being fought on non-factual grounds.
8.) Therefore, nobody is correct.

My headphones died, so I couldn't do my work as attentively as I usually do. crying I also began to think about if brothels have gift cards.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:49 pm
That's why stating religion as fact is a horrible horrible idea; it's based on beliefs, opinions, morals, and principles. They vary from person to person.

For example, I personally find 3somes or moresomes to be morally objectionable in the state of loving your significant other, but someone else could be totally into it. It doesn't mean either of us are wrong, just that we differ in beliefs/values.  

FlowerOfLife

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 8:51 pm
hakeber
That's why stating religion as fact is a horrible horrible idea; it's based on beliefs, opinions, morals, and principles. They vary from person to person.

For example, I personally find 3somes or moresomes to be morally objectionable in the state of loving your significant other, but someone else could be totally into it. It doesn't mean either of us are wrong, just that we differ in beliefs/values.

That's the problem, though. There are a lot of people who state it as fact, when in reality, faith is something wholly different.  
PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 9:39 pm
ProjectOmicron88
hakeber

That's the problem, though. There are a lot of people who state it as fact, when in reality, faith is something wholly different.
That's when I laugh in their faces and just listen to them while being amused.

Seriously, they'll blabble on and on without discouragement even if you're laughing.  

FlowerOfLife

Karla Marx

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:30 am
Quote:

Proof, plz? I seem to recall that certain Hindu's say that there are many paths to one goal, that their Religion is not the only path. I also believe that certain Christians believe that Jews will go to heaven as well. Keep in mind I'm a bit tired and quite possibly entirely wrong, but I'll try to see if I can find anything that I can use to back that up.
And I'm pretty sure there are other religions that don't insist that they're the only correct ones.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 12:13 pm
Karla Marx
Quote:

Proof, plz? I seem to recall that certain Hindu's say that there are many paths to one goal, that their Religion is not the only path. I also believe that certain Christians believe that Jews will go to heaven as well. Keep in mind I'm a bit tired and quite possibly entirely wrong, but I'll try to see if I can find anything that I can use to back that up.
And I'm pretty sure there are other religions that don't insist that they're the only correct ones.
Soy un hombre muy honrado,
que me gusta lo mejor
I know Catholics believe they aren't the only right ones, just that they're more right than others (I went to a Catholic high school, and the theology teacher spent a day telling us why). I also know the Baha`i religion believes that in the future, their religion will be overtaken by another one which is closer to the truth.

EDIT: There are also a few logical fallacies, if you'd like me to point them out.
Las mujeres no me faltan,
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

ProjectOmicron88

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 1:54 pm
Baron von Turkeypants
Karla Marx
Quote:

que me gusta lo mejor
I know Catholics believe they aren't the only right ones, just that they're more right than others (I went to a Catholic high school, and the theology teacher spent a day telling us why). I also know the Baha`i religion believes that in the future, their religion will be overtaken by another one which is closer to the truth.

EDIT: There are also a few logical fallacies, if you'd like me to point them out.
ni el dinero ni el amor

Yeah, actually, I thought about it more, and there are still people who believe the world is flat. Now, we know for a fact it's not, but the fact that there is debate doesn't necessarily negate that truth. With that and the first step, there's gotta be a better way to phrase it so that it recognizes exceptions, but doesn't fall apart.  
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:34 pm
que me gusta lo mejor
To me, it seems obvious that people who debate the truthfulness of facts have a few things going on:

1. They don't have sufficient information (facts).
2. They have misleading information (false facts).
3. Their reasoning is corrupt.
4. Any combination of the above.

Therefore, I believe you only have a problem when two people have all pertinent information, no false information, are reasoning correctly, and arrive at two mutually exclusive conclusions. Also, I think it's prudent to point out that there are degrees of being correct; it is possible for one party to be "more correct" than the other.
ni el dinero ni el amor

Baron von Turkeypants

Aaron Lee Morrison

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:21 am
ProjectOmicron88
hakeber

This is of course, where even the believers of the religion begin to ponder.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 4:01 am
ProjectOmicron88
My headphones died, so I couldn't do my work as attentively as I usually do. crying I also began to think about if brothels have gift cards.
I should probaly post something about the other stuff but you know that is a very good question... I should investigate that.  

Sergeant CJ

HEHeverywhere

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:47 am
The problem is that people can still disagree on facts (The Earth is totally flat, hurr. =B) and they can still be facts.

This is what people of many religions believe; that we are merely denying a fact (Not true at all- we're saying it's not a fact at all.)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:57 pm
What about facts that are proven to be true. I seriously doubt people with an average IQ believe that the world is flat.  

Oracle for Hire

Baron von Turkeypants

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 3:08 pm
Sometimes a cigar...
No, but they believe an equally preposterous proposition: the existence of ghosts

Man, I really burnT her butter rofl
...is just a cigar.

The Main Discussion Place

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces